Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

16 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Get Shaf in an icebath asap or whatever because I can’t watch Millar anymore

This sound's like egregious criticism when you don't explain your thoughts.

However, I've been saying the same thing about Liam, which is a lot of the times I feel he's indecisive in attack. It seems like he doesn't know what he wants to do with the ball before he has it, which leads to him getting jammed up sometimes. 

To me, Liam is farrrr more skilful than Jakey...but it's Jakeys directness/being quick with his decisions is what separates the two atm. 

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

David was rarely playing as a striker tonight.  Was recieving deep and creating for a lot of it. 

We created plenty of chances, we just had to finish them. 

He had some sloppy passes in the first half and of course he missed a decent chance, but I thought he was immense, arguably the best guy out there for Canada. Very underrated motor too.

Posted (edited)

30+ years here... 

A few of thoughts:

1) We struggle against a high press. This is not new. Panama away in WQC exposed this.

2) Anyone who talks about 'Jesseball' or about his inability to adjust in-game or approach different opponents, is not watching.

3) We have been wasteful with our chances. Perhaps it's our lack of top quality or experience at this level, but man... if we can solve this challenge, we will go deep into tournaments on a regular basis. [Edit: Ok, maybe I am being over exuberant on this point. Whatever...]

2 more Canada games - let's go!

Edited by PastPros

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

David was rarely playing as a striker tonight.  Was recieving deep and creating for a lot of it. 

We created plenty of chances, we just had to finish them. 

Yeah I think this comment was rather built up from multiple matches than just this one.

I’ve always preferred David in a deeper role as he has often played in France. And sometimes when the two forwards are higher up, we feel a bit disjointed.

tonight was maybe not the best match to make the comment after.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

This sound's like egregious criticism when you don't explain your thoughts.

However, I've been saying the same thing about Liam, which is a lot of the times I feel he's indecisive in attack. It seems like he doesn't know what he wants to do with the ball before he has it, which leads to him getting jammed up sometimes. 

To me, Liam is farrrr more skilful than Jakey...but it's Jakeys directness/being quick with his decisions is what separates the two atm. 

I think they are a great 1-2 punch. 

Shaft , himself, says he can't run for 90 minutes and we have has some really tight defensive games with Liam and Davies there.  

Overall good game, not great.  Lots to sharpen up but it's all doable.  Marsch is a good leader, it's obvious.

Larin and David could've put the game away multiple times.  You just can't blow those chances.  

Shaff was a lightning rod out there. Made things happen.  He's earning a reputation. Love to see it.

Laryea and Eustaquio were good. Did their jobs.  Osorio as well, basically. 

Johnston is our best defender.  So damn sharp and fearless. 

Bombito got schooled by Rondon. You can't give that guy an inch, Bombito gave him a metre.  Just don't get it. Crepeau should've been alive to that danger sooner, Rondon does that a lot. Live and learn.

Cornelius and Davies were good defensively, good on the ball.  Mature. Wicked penalty from Davies.

Eustaquio had a terrible penalty, outdone only by Liam's monstrosity. You gotta get it on frame at least, yeesh.

Crepeau is the man.  Nothing else to say. Badass of epic proportions.

Kone took one hell of a kick.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Overall good game, not great.  Lots to sharpen up but it's all doable.  Marsch is a good leader, it's obvious.

Larin and David could've put the game away multiple times.  You just can't blow those chances.  

Shaff was a lightning rod out there. Made things happen.  He's earning a reputation. Love to see it.

Laryea and Eustaquio were good. Did their jobs.  Osorio as well, basically. 

Johnston is our best defender.  So damn sharp and fearless. 

Bombito got schooled by Rondon. You can't give that guy an inch, Bombito gave him a metre.  Just don't get it. Crepeau should've been alive to that danger sooner, Rondon does that a lot. Live and learn.

Cornelius and Davies were good defensively, good on the ball.  Mature. Wicked penalty from Davies.

Eustaquio had a terrible penalty, outdone only by Liam's monstrosity. You gotta get it on frame at least, yeesh.

Crepeau is the man.  Nothing else to say. Badass of epic proportions.

Kone took one hell of a kick.

Osorio didn’t do shit. Was a complete pylon. Against Argentina, Kone better start. It’s time to give Choinere those minutes off the bench. 2nd time MLS all star and can’t get a minute in this tournament? Oso the fraud needs to fuck off now.

Edited by anthony7

Overall, I am really happy the way the tournament has played out.  The team has been exposed to crappy refereeing, played before hostile crowds and have kept their composure.  

It is a great learning experience for all the players.  The key for them, is to take time to examine their mistakes, learn from them and try not to make the same mistake twice.  

We have the momentum.  If Argentina comes out flat like they did against Ecuador, we can get past them to the finals.

4 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Osorio didn’t do shit. Was a complete pylon. Against Argentina, Kone better start. It’s time to give Choinere those minutes off the bench. 2nd time MLS all star and can’t get a minute in this tournament. Oso the fraud needs to be phased out now.

Yes, we know - now, any thoughts on the game or the win?

4 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Osorio didn’t do shit. Was a complete pylon. Against Argentina, Kone better start. It’s time to give Choinere those minutes off the bench. 2nd time MLS all star and can’t get a minute in this tournament? Oso the fraud needs to be phased out now.

russell westbrook GIF

Player ratings

Crepeau - 8: Two big saves in the shootout. I'm not sure how much blame I can assign to him on the goal against. Made every other stop.

Johnston - 7: I'm not seeing why everyone thought he did so well. He was fine, but was turned inside-out by Soteldo a handful of times. 

Bombito - 6.5: Leaving aside his play on the goal, I thought he was too deferential to his mark too often and balls lumped forward. Maybe afraid to be too physical with earlier decisions that did (and didn't) go against him.

Cornelius - 7.5: Solid.

Davies - 8: Probably his best performance for Canada as a pure left back.

Osorio - 6: Had a better second half until he was substituted, and I don't want to give any ammunition to a certain clown poster here, but he was invisible in the first.

Eustaquio - 7.5: Tough start but really grew into the game. His penalty was arguably worse than the ones that didn't hit the net.

Shaffelburg - 8: Great game, Venezuela fouled the shit out of him. I really didn't think he had it in him.

Laryea - 7: Was a big part of a lot of good chances for Canada, but couldn't quite pull any of them off. Maybe could have given Johnston more support at times.

David - 7.5: I've said above he was immense. Set up Shaffelburg's goal and several other big chances. I don't think his miss was as bad as some others here, and even if he gets it on target the defender likely gets there. But scoring or not has to count for a striker. Great penalty though.

Larin - 7: Also a bit wasteful, but a bigger part of creating chances than he had been in earlier games. 

Subs: Not enough time to leave a huge impression, but I do think Marsch made the moves at the right time. Kone for Osorio arguably came a little too late. I did not expect to see Ahmed but he did well. 

The atmosphere tonight seemed exceptional - certainly not in our favour.  I also was really impressed by how we kept our composure throughout despite having lots of opportunities to be frustrated.  I think we deserved to win tonight, and we deserved to win in the 90.  

Question: had the referee booked the keeper when he disrupted the throw-in that ultimately led to the Rondon goal, would we have had a free kick?