Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I'm the first to admit he didn't have his best game but put in a shift fought for every ball and had an amazing shot saved by the keeper..hard to follow that performance by Shaff to be fair... Needs to do better on the ball but the the shit that gets spouted sometimes...

Anyways 430 AM here..very proud of the TEAM and the result off to bed!!

Bro don't sweat that shit. You're living the dream. We're living the dream. Liam is definitely living the dream.

Tuesday is going to be amazing 

I just can’t believe we pulled it off in penalties. 

This never happens for us. The game had heartbreaking loss written all over it. 

But instead we won on penalties and now go on to play Argentina in the semifinals of the Copa America. 

What a team. What a moment. I just can’t believe it.

11 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Spend 2 mins on twitter and search. trolls are brutal...deleting the app now.. My complaint and not a single person has given me an opposing argument... ITs just not even the opinion..some get a pass most do..two players do the same thing and one gets ripped to death and told they are the worst player to ever play for Canada.. not just Liam Larin too..another striker misses a chance crickets..Larin..OMG get the cross.. ALi takes a shot misses wide...crickets..Liam misses a pass.. electric chair... Davies loses the ball nothing..liam gets double teamed...loses the ball worst player ever.. Larin puts it over..Horrible player.. Tani does the same..what a player...See a trensd here...

SOOOO Happy for the win but so sick of this shit.. Like I said go on twitter..Liam gets death threats and horrible msg after a game...

Will delete soon rant over..

Ignore those guys. The guys on Twitter and some posters on this board are idiots.  Most of us appreciate Liam and we are blessed to have you contribute to this forum. 

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Davies deserves some credit, did everything defensively.

Released a few for beginnings of chances. 

Took the penalty like a captain.

I was thinking it was a very subdued performance by Davies. Not in a bad way, he was great defensively, and had some good passes starting the break. But very under control, and smart. Great spot kick of course. 

6 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Get Shaf in an icebath asap or whatever because I can’t watch Millar anymore

well, first Copa 2 games, Millar starting was absolutely correct, with great defensive play and noteworthy back and forth with Davies.  Shaff's subs for him were good...great at one thing, his pace forward on the wing but poorer on defense.  

Shaff has delivered some big offensive results since then.  And he still takes big swing-and-misses on dee too.  And it take's nothing away from Millar's strengths (and weaknesses).  

One tournament, and Canada now has two mostly very different players to try at that position, and play off their strengths.  I recall commenting after the first game that if Shaff could learn a bit about defensive responsibility from watching Millar, it would be a great thing.  I don't think the opposite holds true for Millar...watching Shaff flash down the wing is not really a skill you can pick up by watching.  But I am encouraged by both of them stepping up into potential starting roles, with not really any big worries about them doing so.

11 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Spend 2 mins on twitter and search. trolls are brutal...deleting the app now.. My complaint and not a single person has given me an opposing argument... ITs just not even the opinion..some get a pass most do..two players do the same thing and one gets ripped to death and told they are the worst player to ever play for Canada.. not just Liam Larin too..another striker misses a chance crickets..Larin..OMG get the cross.. ALi takes a shot misses wide...crickets..Liam misses a pass.. electric chair... Davies loses the ball nothing..liam gets double teamed...loses the ball worst player ever.. Larin puts it over..Horrible player.. Tani does the same..what a player...See a trensd here...

SOOOO Happy for the win but so sick of this shit.. Like I said go on twitter..Liam gets death threats and horrible msg after a game...

Will delete soon rant over..

It was a decent shift from Liam. I for one have supported him starting in this tourney, because he has shown his quality. The penalty was not taken well and he needs to keep it simple, but it is one penalty as you say. And I watched his interview earlier. He knows there is still work to do to make it to EPL. But it is still possible. Don't let the trolls make you delete your account. 

As for Larin, he has been missing sitters lately. Tani missed two chances, but they were by no means sitters. Ali's shot was poor. I agree. And I have seen a fair bit of criticism for Davies.

Overall, this team has a lot to work on. We looked very sloppy early. But to not recognize Shaf's rise as a special player for us would be willful ignorance. He has provided sparks for us in each match. 

few quick takeaways:
- Get Shaff on a plane to Europe ASAP.

- Crepeau guessing wrong on most penalties is scary but he did his job.

- this 2 striker formation sorta stinks.

- Alistair Johnston my MOTM, but our passing out of the back was horrible at times. (Especially the CBs)

- Eustaquio had some huge defensive plays.

- critique Millar’s performance all you want, but I feel Phonzie is way more engaged offensively with Millar on the field.

- Phonzie showed his class as a fullback more than I’ve seen him do with CanMNT.

at the end of the day, a win is a win. Onwards and upwards 

14 minutes ago, spitfire said:

👀⬅️ hmmmmmmmm

Ignore them as much as you can. Its not easy to jump into a game that fast and physical, and he played great despite that. Keeper doesn't save that chip and everyone changes their tune, he's the hero and there are calls for him to start next game.

We're lucky to have him as part of the squad. Him and Shaff subbing on and off for each other, regardless of who starts, makes me feel calm as they're both playing outstanding. Shaff is hot right now, and fair play to him, he should start. But Liam coming on in his place is an amazing sub to have.

Edited by Borjans Sweatpants