Copa America: Canada vs Venezuela - Friday, July 5th - 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

Me prediction for tonight:

My mom’s birthday dinner drags on well past kick-off.  About 45 minutes before the game starts I begin checking my phone at regular intervals and fidgeting in my seat.  I have long since finished my meal by the time the game starts and when I decline a second drink at the restaurant, it raises suspicions about my level of interest and leads to an uncomfortable discussion about the sacrifices that were made during my childhood.   Dessert consists of a full blown guilt trip about my lack of gratitude while my mother finishes her third glass of wine and starts crying.  The remaining weekend birthday activities are cancelled with the entire family making me feel like a complete piece of shit.  

I then go home and see Canada win 2-1 baby!   Woo Hoo!   

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

My mom’s birthday dinner drags on well past kick-off.  About 45 minutes before the game starts I begin checking my phone at regular intervals and fidgeting in my seat.  I have long since finished my meal by the time the game starts and when I decline a second drink at the restaurant, it raises suspicions about my level of interest and leads to an uncomfortable discussion about the sacrifices that were made during my childhood.   Dessert consists of a full blown guilt trip about my lack of gratitude while my mother finishes her third glass of wine and starts crying.  The remaining weekend birthday activities are cancelled with the entire family making me feel like a complete piece of shit.  

To make up for it, a family event is planned for Tuesday, July 9th.

I have a 400 IQ plan: 

If Canada wins this game today, then I will place a massive bet on semifinals match in favour of Argentina (I'm debating between $500-1000). That way if we win, amazing we are in the Copa America finals and have beaten the reigning world champions (i.e. a result that will shake up the world). If we lose, I will get some nice money and treat myself to something nice.

24 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I have a 400 IQ plan: 

If Canada wins this game today, then I will place a massive bet on semifinals match in favour of Argentina (I'm debating between $500-1000). That way if we win, amazing we are in the Copa America finals and have beaten the reigning world champions (i.e. a result that will shake up the world). If we lose, I will get some nice money and treat myself to something nice.

Try 40 IQ plan when you realize your 500-1000 bet on Argentina to qualify will profit you a projected 50 to 100$ lol

29 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I have a 400 IQ plan: 

I opened a ProLine account to place this exact type of bet AGAINST Canada in the final Copa qualifier.   Happily lost my money.   

31 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

When Argentina first played Canada I think the odds for Argentina 1.50. That's not too bad actually.

1.32 and thats to win in regular time - you do that and it goes to OT and Canada loses than you lose  everything.

You would need to bet them to qualify or tie no bet and yeah youre looking at around 1.10 for that.

Source:  I'm a degen.

6 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

yeah!  great find.  i just finished it also.  something very similar was posted on SN.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/copa-america-preview-canada-faces-tough-test-in-young-venezuela-squad/

the SN article said that the venezuelans are different in that their squad is largely based on youth coming up, whereas peru and chile were heavy on veterans hanging on. 

what colours are they wearing tn?  are we allowed to wear white and them in their maroons?  (those look sharp)

5 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

God what an opportunity this game is tonight..

-winning and advancing being the obvious one

-guaranteeing 2 more games which will allow us to gain so much more experience playing 8 games in just over a month

-another match with the defending World Cup champions and then no matter what happens in that game, barring a huge upset by Panama, playing one of Brazil, Uruguay or Colombia too

-the financial gains which are so desperately needed 

-the world wide recognition this will have and hopefully trickle down effect for better friendlies moving forward

-the confidence gained heading into a home World Cup in ‘26

I’m sure I’m missing a few more but this is just so huge outside of the game itself. Will be a tough game. Starting to feel the stress already 

I'd also add more time in training under the manager, learning the system, and more time for learning secondary approaches.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wouldn't it be far easier to lie to your entire family and go watch it?

12 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Osorio can not take a penalty. I don't know what his overall record was, but he missed many important ones for TFC in their playoff runs.

He’s missed every single penalty in his TFC career. 0 for 5 from the spot. Absolute garbage. Always flops in the biggest moments, nothing new. Oso, the choker better find a nice seat on the bench if it does get to that point.

Edited by anthony7