Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Just watched that pitch invasion stuff. Utter embarrassment.

Not really. There are pitch invasions that are healthy, like when a team promotes in a critical match. Or avoids relegation on the last day. If you've never gotten to see your national team players for a few fans it's a big deal.

We're talking about 25  fans of 20,000… no need to overstate it. 

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not really. There are pitch invasions that are healthy, like when a team promotes in a critical match. Or avoids relegation on the last day. If you've never gotten to see your national team players for a few fans it's a big deal.

So is it healthy or is it bad? 

the first paragraph of your post seems to differ from the second. 

On 6/30/2024 at 12:06 PM, Treppy2 said:

I ran 30 minutes in Atlanta before the match and Canada lost. I ran 40 minutes in KC and Canada won. Ran 35 minutes in Orlando to ensure a draw. Maybe a 45-minute run on Friday morning? I’ll figure something out.

I would offer to run as well, but am reluctant lest your obvious mojo get interfered with.  Have fun, and Go Canada!

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Totally agree on the first half. This wasn't either of those situations. 

These were just attention seekers and I found those two fans coming on and roughing up the steward ridiculous. I would have been ashamed if that was Canada fans doing that when we got dumped out of a tournament. That said, I'm embarrassed and pissed off when I see someone cutting lines in ques 🤷‍♂️

Maybe they are just living the life I secretly want to live bahaha.

Shh.

3 hours ago, king1010 said:

So is it healthy or is it bad? 

the first paragraph of your post seems to differ from the second. 

I don't think that a few dozen fans with no violent intention wanting to greet their heroes is bad. And it is not unhealthy. In that video, which I did not watch until the very end, I did not see anyone being aggressive or even confronting the security people. There was no rush. It was paused, and it seems they were doing it to have fun. They were not even gloomy about having been eliminated.

Would you like to greet Canadian players if you had never had a chance ever to watch them play? Think of the case with a Chilean immigrant to the States who maybe had never seen Chile live.

I was at Bordeaux for the France friendly, and frankly, the only one with the character to jump over the field-level advertising, ignore the security guys and come say hello up close, right up to the fans, was Alphonso Davies. The rest stayed unnecessarily far from us, lord knows why. For a lot it was like they couldn't care less. If you create these climates of isolation and want to feed a narrative that fans are dangerous, then players will keep their distance. But no surprise, we have already seen that a lot of Canada players are not on the same wavelength as Canadian fans at all, and in fact care little about us. As we become more elite it will probably get worse. I find those sort of things "embarrassing", others find a guy running on a field embarrassing.

10 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

From what I can see from that video, security personnel needs to step up a little.

I guess my issue is that your normal pitch invasion is actually in celebration.  They are happy with the result.  And really you can't do much about it. It just overwhelms. 

If the fans were Chilean, they shouldn't have much to be happy about and we have seen with their "legal" action they are take losing (or going out at least) very seriously.  You have no guarentee that those individual fans are going to not attack our players for instance.  It has happened recently - Australia, England, Spain, Turkey etc.  

Posted (edited)

Average of 1.6 million for Chile on TSN/CTV2/RDS. Peak was 1.9m. Reach was 3.5m. 159k on RDS. 

First match average was 1.1m. Reach didn't go up much from match 1. Likely overall tv viewers dipped being a summer long weekend Saturday night and only a CFL game to attract live sports viewers.

English numbers for match 2 haven't been disclosed by TSN PR which usually implies that it wasn't notable. It was about 50k higher than French tv numbers for match 2. 

It does beat the English only tv audience for Morocco match at Qatar. And just a touch below Jamaica World Cup clincher.

Edited by red card