Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

So Wileman and Caldwell are calling the Canada Copa games from the studio in Toronto ? I’m watching the Euro England Slovakia game and there they are in the TSN studio in Toronto , unless they flew back from Florida last night right after the game but I doubt it. However, I can swear for Canada’s first game against Argentina the whole panel was down in Atlanta , unless I’m mistaken.

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I think that this is it.  Its borne out of a lack of respect.  No doubt that they saw  the draw and thought that we would be the free spot on the Bingo card.

But here's the thing that dawn on me for the first time when the rosters were posted in the first post of this thread.   Its that, unlike the past,  our team has players of a greater pedigree than Chile.    Look at club affiliation of our players collectively and then compare it to Chile and Peru.   Never thought I would see the day that I would say this,  but we have the upper hand here.

So its really about ignorance and stereotyping and ignoring reality

Entitlement and ignorance. Not all of them mind you but the loudest voices are always as such. Gotta love it. 

Like look at our squad. Get off your high horses and come to reality. 

Canada being good at soccer seems to be an inconvenient truth for some people around the world.

When I talk about Canadian soccer at times with people from other countries they kinda just shut down. Like it can't possibly be or if they ignore it it will not exist

We're good knuckheads. Deal with it people 

Edited by SpursFlu

16 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Osorio over Kone was a big improvement.  Very little giveaways in the mid.  The fact that they both went 90 and Kone stayed on the bench may be an indication that Marsch feels the same.

Yes, it would have been nice to get the win, but at the same time, Chile didn't have many quality chances.

If he didn't feel the same you'd question if he watched the games. 

Honestly I have such had such high hopes (and still do) for Kone. But his last two games are two of worst performances I've seen of any player ever. 

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Canada being good at soccer seems to be an inconvenient truth for some people around the world.

When I talk about Canadian soccer at times with people from other countries they kinda just shut down. Like it can't possibly be or if they ignore it it will not exist

The worst still is other Canadians who want to be blissfully ignorant and support their other nation without any conflicting feelings. 

25 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

So Wileman and Caldwell are calling the Canada Copa games from the studio in Toronto ? I’m watching the Euro England Slovakia game and there they are in the TSN studio in Toronto , unless they flew back from Florida last night right after the game but I doubt it. However, I can swear for Canada’s first game against Argentina the whole panel was down in Atlanta , unless I’m mistaken.

You’re right, the whole panel was in Atlanta but they flew back for the KC & Orlando games.  The in studio panel on the day of the Atlanta game was Tos Ricketts and Doneil Henry.

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

Don’t have a problem with that , but they should also be supporting Canada the country where they live or where they were born and raised .

I don't even have a problem with them not supporting Canada even though personally I think it is greasy and scummy.  Just don't shat upon Canada, that's all I ask, just STFU

7 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Don’t have a problem with that , but they should also be supporting Canada the country where they live or where they were born and raised .

Nor do I, but they go out of their way to ignore or hate on Canada that’s the issue. They don’t want to support Canada and put on blinders to make it so. To many, I suppose, it’s an issue of ethno nationalism.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

32 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Nor do I, but they go out of their way to ignore or hate on Canada that’s the issue. They don’t want to support Canada and put on blinders to make it so. To many, I suppose, it’s an issue of ethno nationalism.  

I actually feel a shift. Patriotism is making a comeback in this country. Every generation is a reaction to the previous generation and I actually have felt a lot more people coming together and embracing the Maple Leaf. Moments like yesterday help. I was out at a community thing after the game wearing a Canadian shirt and so many people started talking to me about the game

And really it's just fun to rep Canada. Who doesn't like fun?

Edited by SpursFlu

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I actually feel a shift. Patriotism is making a comeback in this country. Every generation is a reaction to the previous generation and I actually have felt a lot more people coming together and embracing the Maple Leaf. Moments like yesterday help. I was out at a community thing after the game wearing a Canadian shirt and so many people started talking to me about the game

Oh I do for sure as well. I coach my sons u8 boys team and I asked the kids if they watched Canada v Argentina and a lot of them did. One said he cheered when Argentina scored and his dad gave him a (playful) punch in the arm lol. I see lots of Canada soccer gear at practices. It’s just those stragglers who are adamantly against cheering for Canada. For what reason? Personally I believe it’s their hipster outlet to express their ethnic culture and with Canada in the picture that threatens that - they always had the fall back to say “oh well Canada isn’t in the tournament”. Mind you, the majority of these types don’t follow footy save for champions league etc. 

It’s a snowball effect that starts with this group. The more we grow in visible support, the more these hipster/follow along types will get into it and maybe even travel to matches. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Oh I do for sure as well. I coach my sons u8 boys team and I asked the kids if they watched Canada v Argentina and a lot of them did. One said he cheered when Argentina scored and his dad gave him a (playful) punch in the arm lol. I see lots of Canada soccer gear at practices. It’s just those stragglers who are adamantly against cheering for Canada. For what reason? Personally I believe it’s their hipster outlet to express their ethnic culture and with Canada in the picture that threatens that - they always had the fall back to say “oh well Canada isn’t in the tournament”. Mind you, the majority of these types don’t follow footy save for champions league etc. 

It’s a snowball effect that starts with this group. The more we grow in visible support, the more these hipster/follow along types will get into it and maybe even travel to matches. 

Yeah well once Canada starts to build itself as far as becoming more of a mainstay at tournaments, then it is going to be hard to deny that they are Canadian or they will embrace it more

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

To be fair to the soccer citizens of the world, all they know is that we popped up in 2022. Same as China in 2002, T&T in 2006, NZ in 2010, Panama and Egypt in 2018.

Like most other teams who make their WC debut, we played decently to get to the World Cup, and had bright moments in the tournament, but were winless and generally unremarkable.

So it wouldn't be obvious to anyone that we have "levelled up" - most other teams that fit this profile all thought they had joined the "football elite"... and look at the subsequent outcomes.

It's up to us to prove we are different - which is starting to happen, right now. But it's a multi-year, multi-tournament process. The "shock" in the Peru and Chile camps is understandable and, when you think about it, anything else would be surprising.

Edited by ensco

3 hours ago, phil03 said:

If so that was a mistake. Oso should have reported EXACTLY what they said. 

You know what? I'll give props to Peru here. Sure, they played quite rough and weaponized the bias of the refs but at least they kept the games to the actual match. There were no racist comments from some of their fans I heard of and after the game both their fans and their pundits were gracious, congratulating us on the win and giving us credit for being hard to play against.

? In all likelihood they were just insulting his name, family, etc.  Maybe they knew his family is Colombian and started in on that - Stupid Colombian, you're not Canadian you're Columbian druggie, etc.  Who knows - but it's pretty hard to report every insult you get to the ref.  

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What format, think I missed that?

I don't like having to turn back to Argentina like a dog to his vomit (what a way to describe a rematch in a semi-final). The draw should have been crossed enough to send us the other way. But it seems the draw was set up for the possibility of an Argentina-Mexico and a US-Brazil semis, with Uruguay and Colombia as the teams that could rightly displace the Concacaf teams. 

That sounds right. I don’t think any of the organizers would be happy to see Canada vs NotMexico in the 100k seat AT&T stadium on Friday.

BTW I don’t think I’m the only one on this board that finds it schadenfreudian cool that the worst a tournament is doing financially, the better Canada is performing

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Is it possible to be both "streetwise" in hockey and soccer?  Can't be possible.

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

To be fair, in the end we are just jostling to be Argentina's sacrificial lamb.*  From a world interest perspective.

I would guess Mexico would be the prefered choice in stadiums and more local broadcasting and maybe I underestimate the importance of Chile and Peru's viewing power. Ecuador has some appeal as a European football viewer because I have seen a few more players play. 

*Again not a fan of the format.

-narrow field 

- grass overlayed 

- excessive heat

-insane prices

guardian covered this today