Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Thanks. As I implied last night, the other angle helps a lot.

Hands on him, Bombito tries to free himself. Makes some contact.  The movement looked a bit weird initially and you understand why now.

VAR working I guess and it's a shame I have to say I appreciate the honesty.

Hah!  Just saw this now and it's exactly what i assumed in my previous post.  It was the only logical explanation.  We can put this baby to bed. 

30 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

To be fair, in the end we are just jostling to be Argentina's sacrificial lamb.*  From a world interest perspective.

I would guess Mexico would be the prefered choice in stadiums and more local broadcasting and maybe I underestimate the importance of Chile and Peru's viewing power. Ecuador has some appeal as a European football viewer because I have seen a few more players play. 

*Again not a fan of the format.

What format, think I missed that?

I don't like having to turn back to Argentina like a dog to his vomit (what a way to describe a rematch in a semi-final). The draw should have been crossed enough to send us the other way. But it seems the draw was set up for the possibility of an Argentina-Mexico and a US-Brazil semis, with Uruguay and Colombia as the teams that could rightly displace the Concacaf teams. 

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm not sure how the math works on this because I can't find your original post. Do you need to go out and do a blistering 5k or an easy 2 hours on Friday morning to ensure a multi-goal win?

I ran 30 minutes in Atlanta before the match and Canada lost. I ran 40 minutes in KC and Canada won. Ran 35 minutes in Orlando to ensure a draw. Maybe a 45-minute run on Friday morning? I’ll figure something out.

5 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

I ran 30 minutes in Atlanta before the match and Canada lost. I ran 40 minutes in KC and Canada won. Ran 35 minutes in Orlando to ensure a draw. Maybe a 45-minute run on Friday morning? I’ll figure something out.

Us runners are like vegans, always trying to slip your running way of life into a conversation 😂 

28 minutes ago, red card said:

Translated version says elbow was violent conduct and should have been a red. Both the ref and VAR were incorrect. 

They do the same thing on the one with the keeper on David - VAR "fails to identify the goalkeeper's careless foul and incorrectly confirms the on-field decision. "

Nice throwing your VAR guys under the bus. 

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did the VAR review take a look at the headbutt or was that ignored? I didn't see anything.

They started publishing them (on their Youtube at least) only 3 days ago.  So nothing from the first round of matches I can see. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Let's be honest, some of the over the top reaction from Chile and Peru isn't simply that they lost or were eliminated.  It's that it was done by a "non-traditional" football country.  They can see the rankings, understand that Canada made the last WC, has players now at an elite level, but it's another thing to actually experience and see what that all means.

59 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Fact: This is the first time since 2004 that Chile have not advanced to the knockouts in Copa

Fact: Both Chile & Peru scored zero goals in 3 group games

Fact: Canada are in the quarterfinals; USA & Mexico?...to be continued 

Peru especially needs to look in the mirror

They're next level garbage. Only hope any game is to thug it up

12 hours ago, phil03 said:

Its really starting to become a disgusting trend this tournament:

I don't know if  it was on TSN but the feed I got showed Osorio replying to some fans in the stand during a short pause in play. Osorio was really pissed (probably heard and understood their comments). When he walked away, the ref approached him and seemed to ask what did they said. By his mannerisms and gestures Osorio dismissed it as bullshit from loser fans.

19 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I don't know if  it was on TSN but the feed I got showed Osorio replying to some fans in the stand during a short pause in play. Osorio was really pissed (probably heard and understood their comments). When he walked away, the ref approached him and seemed to ask what did they said. By his mannerisms and gestures Osorio dismissed it as bullshit from loser fans.

If so that was a mistake. Oso should have reported EXACTLY what they said. 

You know what? I'll give props to Peru here. Sure, they played quite rough and weaponized the bias of the refs but at least they kept the games to the actual match. There were no racist comments from some of their fans I heard of and after the game both their fans and their pundits were gracious, congratulating us on the win and giving us credit for being hard to play against.

Edited by phil03

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They do the same thing on the one with the keeper on David - VAR "fails to identify the goalkeeper's careless foul and incorrectly confirms the on-field decision. "

Nice throwing your VAR guys under the bus. 

They started publishing them (on their Youtube at least) only 3 days ago.  So nothing from the first round of matches I can see. 

The opinion of whoever is running the social media channel is all very well, but unless they are another group of VAR officials who are working the YouTube channel in their spare time, I am not going to get to worked up - even for the one where they say we should have had a pk

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Let's be honest, some of the over the top reaction from Chile and Peru isn't simply that they lost or were eliminated.  It's that it was done by a "non-traditional" football country.  They can see the rankings, understand that Canada made the last WC, has players now at an elite level, but it's another thing to actually experience and see what that all means.

I think you hit it on the nose.  Its borne out of a lack of respect.  No doubt that they saw  the draw and thought that Canada would be the free spot on the Bingo card.

But here's the thing that dawn on me for the first time when the rosters were posted in the first post of this thread.   Its that, unlike the past,  Canada has players of a greater pedigree than Chile.    Look at club affiliation of our players collectively and then compare it to Chile and Peru.   Never thought I would see the day that I would say this,  but we have the upper hand here.

So its really about ignorance and stereotyping and ignoring reality

Edited by Free kick