Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

I feel we are due for a game where finishing and chances are even better that we expected. But we still are missing a nice Staq pass into a channel for David or a cross finding Larin better.

Also think it's fine to consolidate what most thought was our weakness, the defence. 

Marsch proving Davies defending gives us better defensive shape is a big surprise for me and I like it.

Also think there's been more tactical adjustments to opponents than we give credit for, possibly because we don't know these latest rivals well. Including keying on certain players. 

Our rival could be any of Venezuela, Ecuador or Mexico, all of whom we'll give a  game to. All of whom will have a bit less rest too. 

Canada 🇨🇦 if we can beat Venezuela 🇻🇪 or Ecuador 🇪🇨 or even Mexico 🇲🇽 in the quarter finals depending on today's results of Group B, then we would have to face Argentina 🇦🇷 again but in the semis in the last 4. If Canada 🇨🇦 were to get to the semis and lose, then it at least prepares us for 2026 in the sense that this tournament gave us the experience that we can go up against big nations and put up a fight. But in 2026, we are going to have to go up against big nations again in the World Cup as hosts and as hosts, at home, there comes in the added pressure of performing well not just from fans but the media too.

29 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Noticed this. Liam's such a good sport. Frankly, I think it was a borderline yellow. Yes. He clipped the Chilean player. But the contact was so minimal, I honestly don't think it was enough for him to go to ground. 

Was it cynical? From my angle it looked a foul but it was his first of the match and in their half. For me, it’s a talking to at that point at most. Thought for sure he was going to send him off for a similar one later. 

5 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Haven't seen this posted

Thanks. As I implied last night, the other angle helps a lot.

Hands on him, Bombito tries to free himself. Makes some contact.  The movement looked a bit weird initially and you understand why now.

VAR working I guess and it's a shame I have to say I appreciate the honesty.

6 hours ago, phil03 said:

And it keep going:

I do think that we Canadians have an especially great responsability here and now against that utterly vile and disgusting stuff because the usual dishonest comeback of ''oh, you are just making something out of this because you are disapointed you lost'' would not work here since we counter with ''actually we just got out of what was arguably the group of death, alongside Argentina, and eliminated a team who made the semi finals the two last editions so how about you stop making excuse for behaviour you know is morally bankrupt to not have to do anything about it and actually seriously address the toxicity of some of your fans?''

😊

As handsome a gathering of men as ever there was. 

Allez les Rouges!

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For everyone complaining about offence, David almost chipped the keeper in the first half and Tani was a foot or two offside but otherwise converted a beauty attacking play off Tajon’s cross.  This isn’t Bermuda or Cuba.  We are going to have limited chances and we will have to battle for results.  We aren’t a top 10 team that can ping it around the field and dominate good teams.  We are a team of hardworking guys that are clawing their way into global relevancy.  Proud of them so far this tourney.  

This. Also when both Peru and Chile went down a man they were in must win mode. They adapted their formation to shore up their backline to keep it nil nil so they could create chances off the counter. Eventually they'd have to push more men forward as the clock wound down, but until then they couldn't risk going down a goal. 

Marsch had the boys playing it safe to minimize turnovers and gifting counter opportunities. Even Argentina had difficulty breaking down bunkering Peru and Chile with 9 or 10 men behind the ball.

I expect a much more probing and attacking style in the quarters vs Venezuela... until they do something shocking and go down a man too 😜

50 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Thanks. As I implied last night, the other angle helps a lot.

Hands on him, Bombito tries to free himself. Makes some contact.  The movement looked a bit weird initially and you understand why now.

VAR working I guess and it's a shame I have to say I appreciate the honesty.

The viral clip is a crap angle.

Yeah Chilean player is grabbing his elbow as he pulls away, Chilean  player lets go, Bombitos arm speeds up and hits the Chilean player. 

Not a red, but generally a red when Canada is involved.  

I think Chile is formally protesting?

Edited by yomurphy1

47 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I actually think he brings his hands down on David when he doesn't need to. More than you need to break a fall.

But I am very biased and the standard of what is penalised contact is obviously higher than I am used to.

if it were an open field foul, for example, and the keeper had missed it, it might have been called. I also think they would have reviewed it if a Chilean player had cleared it off the line before going in. 

A player is allowed to jump and miss, but if that miss ends up putting the safety of a rival in danger, it could perfectly well be a foul.

Reffing criteria at Euros has not been great, but it is more predictable. Copa is played with this degree of hubris which is actually entertaining if you win. You feel you've come out alive on the other side of dogfight and that is quite satisfying. 

Spanish football had a lot of this kind of play back in the 80s, but I think the entry of private tv, more independent review of certain behaviour on the pitch, and the need to change the image of the way the game was played in the 90s, did a lot to create the values you see today. Spain used to call itself "la furia", Spanish rage, like a bull--and got crap national team results playing like that. Now Spain is a far less physical or provocative team, and play more technically. But 30+ years ago it was much closer to this edgy, and frankly irritating, way of playing. Though I am warming up to the style again only because we are actually handling it, I am finding it oddly fun.

31 minutes ago, goleafs67 said:

This. Also when both Peru and Chile went down a man they were in must win mode. They adapted their formation to shore up their backline to keep it nil nil so they could create chances off the counter. Eventually they'd have to push more men forward as the clock wound down, but until then they couldn't risk going down a goal. 

Marsch had the boys playing it safe to minimize turnovers and gifting counter opportunities. Even Argentina had difficulty breaking down bunkering Peru and Chile with 9 or 10 men behind the ball.

I expect a much more probing and attacking style in the quarters vs Venezuela... until they do something shocking and go down a man too 😜

Sounds like we are on track for provoking a rare Messi straight red m. 32 vs. Argentina in our path to a penalty round and a place in the final.

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is my mom’s stupid birthday and we are taking her stupid ass to a stupid restaurant.   Bullshit if you ask me. What has she ever done for me? 

Hey restaurants are open on Thursdays and Saturdays too.  Your mother loves you she will understand.  Tell her you will throw in a shrimp cocktail and you should be good to go!

8 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I haven’t seen an angle of Bombito even making contact. Did he? 

I assume this is what happened they watched a different angle and out showed the chilian player flat out diving.

There's no motivation for them to have us in the knockout instead of setting up a possible Chile-Argintina knife fight in the semis

16 minutes ago, Canucklehead69 said:

I assume this is what happened they watched a different angle and out showed the chilian player flat out diving.

There's no motivation for them to have us in the knockout instead of setting up a possible Chile-Argintina knife fight in the semis

It doesn't benefit the organization at all to have us going through. It weakens tv audiences, fans in stadiums. In fact, Venezuela-Canada is a lousy quarter final if that happens, on the level of fans and tv.

At first I think they were happy to disrespect us; we did not even have a ref assigned, I think the only participating nation without one (not sure about that). Then Marsch rightly complained about a few details, and I think our beloved Concacaf president probably had something to say.

We underestimate the role of Montagliani, who altered the qualifying for Qatar in our benefit, we had decent reffing throughout qualifying, we are not being directly screwed here, though there seemed to be a will to do so.

We have not won or gotten through unfairly, but we have not been entirely hard done by.

10 hours ago, Free kick said:

IMHO, the ultimate prize is still qualifying for the WC.  Which we hadn't done in 36 years.    This would be the second greatest achievement.  Even greater than the GC win in 2001.

There is a chance, based on the current opponents versus the next opponents that Canada could reach teh semi finals.  if you can beat Peru (ranked 31st) and draw Chile (ranked 40), why should one be intimidated by Venezuela (ranked 54th)?

Qualifying for the WC was a massive and monumental step after so long.  Point remains though that we "should" have qualified on paper.  Mexico and the US were not really trying to "win" WCQ.  Their goal was also just to qualify and we could see they were comfortable with 2nd and 3rd. 

All 4 teams wanted to advance in this tournament, and we really did beat them to 2nd place.  I just feel considering all the factors, new coach, new players, level of opponents, the results, getting out of this group in a major tournament, is on a whole other level accomplishment wise.  We were not expected to advance, unlike WCQ, we exceeded expectations. 

Crazy part is the players still haven't hit full gallop.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

if it were an open field foul, for example, and the keeper had missed it, it might have been called. I also think they would have reviewed it if a Chilean player had cleared it off the line before going in. 

A player is allowed to jump and miss, but if that miss ends up putting the safety of a rival in danger, it could perfectly well be a foul.

Reffing criteria at Euros has not been great, but it is more predictable. Copa is played with this degree of hubris which is actually entertaining if you win. You feel you've come out alive on the other side of dogfight and that is quite satisfying. 

Spanish football had a lot of this kind of play back in the 80s, but I think the entry of private tv, more independent review of certain behaviour on the pitch, and the need to change the image of the way the game was played in the 90s, did a lot to create the values you see today. Spain used to call itself "la furia", Spanish rage, like a bull--and got crap national team results playing like that. Now Spain is a far less physical or provocative team, and play more technically. But 30+ years ago it was much closer to this edgy, and frankly irritating, way of playing. Though I am warming up to the style again only because we are actually handling it, I am finding it oddly fun.

To be fair, in the end we are just jostling to be Argentina's sacrificial lamb.*  From a world interest perspective.

I would guess Mexico would be the prefered choice in stadiums and more local broadcasting and maybe I underestimate the importance of Chile and Peru's viewing power. Ecuador has some appeal as a European football viewer because I have seen a few more players play. 

*Again not a fan of the format.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 hours ago, GasPed said:

I would say yes, but a fair degree of embellishment was involved.  See below.  

I've also heard that Bombito is getting more abuse on social media, which is both sad and unsurprising...

I don't know about this.  It's such an unnatural weird movement.  The only reason he could be moving his arm like that is if he was being held and trying to free himself.  I don't feel he was trying to elbow him in the face, I think the guy was holding his arm and put his face into Moise's space, while Moise is trying to get free and walk away.  I'd love a different angle, but I say there aren't 6 inches between their faces, the guy was trying to fish him into that.

Just now, Ally McCoist said:

I know way too early to say this but keep in mind that us making the semi finals would also guarantee us at least playing the 3rd place match (which would probably be one of Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil).

Venezuala is another really tough but winnable game.  

Rondon's toughness and experience worry me as does their midfield against ours but Mexico probably should have beat them.