Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

5 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I would say yes, but a fair degree of embellishment was involved.  See below.  

I've also heard that Bombito is getting more abuse on social media, which is both sad and unsurprising...

I would like to see a camera angle from the other side.

But maybe this is okay in this tournament?  Look at the head butt. 

Ugly at times but that’s how you win in South America.  I’ll take that result every day of the week.  It’s still early in Marsch tenure and we got a lot to work on but it’s absolutely progress.  I don’t see us scraping out of this group last year or even in the middle of our historic World Cup qualifying run.

Crepeau - Again, solid as could be.  Nothing outstanding today but had some good saves and must have used his go-go Gadget arms on that last cross.  Nearly had a heart attack thinking that was getting dropped.

Johnston - Best game we’re seen from him in a Canada jersey in a long, long time.  Absolutely a rock and one of our best players tonight.

Bombito - Very fortunate the calls when this way early on because he could have been sent off.  Also looked a little shaken to start.  However, what a player he could become.  Grew into the game tremendously.  Reminds me a bit of Kone.  The raw talent is there and his ceiling is very high.

Cornelius - I thought he was great back there today.  He is performing above the level I even expected of him.  Maybe doesn’t stand out in ways that Bombito does but also doesn’t seem to have the mental lapses either.  Very consistently good so far.

Davies - I thought he was quite good as well today.  Looked dangerous at times going forward but also had to do a lot of defensive work today.  I don’t think he had a lot of help on his side today either.  He seems to be performing more consistently as well lately.

Laryea - I don’t think he’s quite back to his normal self but Laryea did what Laryea does and left a huge influence one again out there.

Osorio - Aside from getting caught chasing a couple times in the first half, I thought he was very good.  Genuinely shocked with how well he did and kudos to Marsch for riling the dice out there.  I can’t remember the last time Eustaquio and Osorio played together alone in the midfield.  The smaller pitches likely helping him out.  Much quicker and intricate passing in tight spaces and less running.

Eustaquio - Aside from a couple needless fouls around our box, he was once again very, very good.  Where would we be without this man right now?

Shaffelburg - I thought he posed some danger going forward as he always does but wasn’t spectacular.  Hopefully can improve his defensive side of the game.  Glad he was rewarded with a start but I agree with others that having his fresh legs late while Chile pressed for a goal and down a man could have been more dangerous.

Larin - Large stretches of this game, our strikers were left alone but his hold up play is crucial for us.  His passing was off a bit and some attacks seemed to die at his feet but I still see a need for him starting games.

David - Not his best performance but still an important performance.  Even at his worst, I can’t see us not needing him in our lineup with his work rate and defensive ability.

Millar - Probably a performance to forget from him.  However, in saying that Shaffelburg could have done damage off the bench tonight.  I found that having a fresh Millar off the bench today was also needed defensively as Chile looked to press and attack late.  And risking putting Shaffelburg on as sub may have left that left flank more open late as Chile attacked.

Tajon - Probably the best game we’ve seen from him in a while for Canada but still need to see more of him.  I’d be open to giving him the start in the quarter finals.

Tani - Too bad about the offside goal but he does look like a threat out there.  Seems to make the right runs but also works hard to create and win the ball as well.  Faster than I thought as well.  There was one time both him and Millar were chasing a Chilean towards the touchline and he was stride for stride with Liam.

Miller - Not a lot to discuss in his short appearance.  Still an integral part of this team and great locker room presence.

once again, probably too high of praise for some of these players but just so proud of the team and how we gutted out this performance.

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I mean circumstances too.  Every corner kick involves all sorts of jostling and shoving.  Everyone's using their arms and elbows to push and make space.  Totally cynical move by the Chilean to take a bit of contact and dive like Greg Louganis.  And I'm glad the ref saw through it.

15 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I think it does.  The guy's head trembles a little bit as Bombito's arm moves past - I don't think he could fake that.  Of course everything after that was fake.

Yes.  A very stupid action from Bombito that could have ruined everything.   Right up there with the corner flag flipping by Pesch.   We were lucky this time.  Hope that Marsch sits him.   

Edited by Free kick

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Ugly at times but that’s how you win in South America.  I’ll take that result every day of the week.  It’s still early in Marsch tenure and we got a lot to work on but it’s absolutely progress.  I don’t see us scraping out of this group last year or even in the middle of our historic World Cup qualifying run.

Crepeau - Again, solid as could be.  Nothing outstanding today but had some good saves and must have used his go-go Gadget arms on that last cross.  Nearly had a heart attack thinking that was getting dropped.

Johnston - Best game we’re seen from him in a Canada jersey in a long, long time.  Absolutely a rock and one of our best players tonight.

Bombito - Very fortunate the calls when this way early on because he could have been sent off.  Also looked a little shaken to start.  However, what a player he could become.  Grew into the game tremendously.  Reminds me a bit of Kone.  The raw talent is there and his ceiling is very high.

Cornelius - I thought he was great back there today.  He is performing above the level I even expected of him.  Maybe doesn’t stand out in ways that Bombito does but also doesn’t seem to have the mental lapses either.  Very consistently good so far.

Davies - I thought he was quite good as well today.  Looked dangerous at times going forward but also had to do a lot of defensive work today.  I don’t think he had a lot of help on his side today either.  He seems to be performing more consistently as well lately.

Laryea - I don’t think he’s quite back to his normal self but Laryea did what Laryea does and left a huge influence one again out there.

Osorio - Aside from getting caught chasing a couple times in the first half, I thought he was very good.  Genuinely shocked with how well he did and kudos to Marsch for riling the dice out there.  I can’t remember the last time Eustaquio and Osorio played together alone in the midfield.  The smaller pitches likely helping him out.  Much quicker and intricate passing in tight spaces and less running.

Eustaquio - Aside from a couple needless fouls around our box, he was once again very, very good.  Where would we be without this man right now?

Shaffelburg - I thought he posed some danger going forward as he always does but wasn’t spectacular.  Hopefully can improve his defensive side of the game.  Glad he was rewarded with a start but I agree with others that having his fresh legs late while Chile pressed for a goal and down a man could have been more dangerous.

Larin - Large stretches of this game, our strikers were left alone but his hold up play is crucial for us.  His passing was off a bit and some attacks seemed to die at his feet but I still see a need for him starting games.

David - Not his best performance but still an important performance.  Even at his worst, I can’t see us not needing him in our lineup with his work rate and defensive ability.

Millar - Probably a performance to forget from him.  However, in saying that Shaffelburg could have done damage off the bench tonight.  I found that having a fresh Millar off the bench today was also needed defensively as Chile looked to press and attack late.  And risking putting Shaffelburg on as sub may have left that left flank more open late as Chile attacked.

Tajon - Probably the best game we’ve seen from him in a while for Canada but still need to see more of him.  I’d be open to giving him the start in the quarter finals.

Tani - Too bad about the offside goal but he does look like a threat out there.  Seems to make the right runs but also works hard to create and win the ball as well.  Faster than I thought as well.  There was one time both him and Millar were chasing a Chilean towards the touchline and he was stride for stride with Liam.

Miller - Not a lot to discuss in his short appearance.  Still an integral part of this team and great locker room presence.

once again, probably too high of praise for some of these players but just so proud of the team and how we gutted out this performance.

I agree with your assessment, but with Millar I would argue that his style gets Davies more involved in the attack with combination play: his pass ŕeleased Davies on the overlap and that created a very good scoring chance for us.

We needed to keep the ball rolling with safe possession and Osorio delivered.  Well done!

Crepeau is more of a sweeper keeper than St. Clair and that really helps the CBs.  His awareness and range away from goal to deal with balls played behind the back line are better than St. Clair's.

And it keep going:

I do think that we Canadians have an especially great responsability here and now against that utterly vile and disgusting stuff because the usual dishonest comeback of ''oh, you are just making something out of this because you are disapointed you lost'' would not work here since we counter with ''actually we just got out of what was arguably the group of death, alongside Argentina, and eliminated a team who made the semi finals the two last editions so how about you stop making excuse for behaviour you know is morally bankrupt to not have to do anything about it and actually seriously address the toxicity of some of your fans?''

28 minutes ago, phil03 said:

And it keep going:

I do think that we Canadians have an especially great responsability here and now against that utterly vile and disgusting stuff because the usual dishonest comeback of ''oh, you are just making something out of this because you are disapointed you lost'' would not work here since we counter with ''actually we just got out of what was arguably the group of death, alongside Argentina, and eliminated a team who made the semi finals the two last editions so how about you stop making excuse for behaviour you know is morally bankrupt to not have to do anything about it and actually seriously address the toxicity of some of your fans?''

I dunno - I think I'd just ask them - is this why we're better than you now?  (Even though Shaff, Osorio and Max aren't actually in that pic.)

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

A few posts complaining about only 1 goal in 5 games under Marsch, including against two older opponents in decline. 

Another way to look as it is under Marsch Canada has kept 3 clean sheets, all against teams ranked higher than us, including 2 games against teams with years of Copa experience.

What is our xg under Marsch so far, almost 6?

(0.7xg (xga 2.6) vs Netherlands, 0.2xg (xga 1.2) vs France, 1.1xg (xga 3.3) vs Argentina, 2.6xg (xga 0.4) vs Peru, 1.3xg (xga 0.4) vs Chile.

So that's a total of 5.9 xg - with only 1 goal scored.

On defence, 7.9 xga, with 6 goals scored against us.

So, the reality is, we have been severely underperforming our xg so far (and have been a little fortunate on xga, but much of that is Crepeau having a very good run of form).

Think about that, based on xg, under Marsch, we could have been expected to score 6, but have only scored 1. You would expect, based on those stats, that we would be getting crushed, but we aren't, in fact we have qualified for the knockout stage at Copa (which I really did not think was likely, coming in).

And are our strikers terrible? No, they are not. If we keep generating chances, the goals will come - hopefully some of them in the quarter-final!

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I had the same thought, could be the standard for 'negligible contact' is just a little higher at Copa. Both plays are similar, unpermitted actions, but mild in terms of actual physical contact

Another late night, random thought. At the 60 minute mark, Chile was starting to boss the game a bit, 10 men and all, they had made 2 subs and we hadn't made any. I think I posted something (along with others) about how we needed to make a sub. We only (at first) made 1 sub, Millar for Shaff, and to be honest, Millar's touches on the ball could have been better, but from the time of that sub onward, that Chilean surge basically died and the game shifted back into neutral, which suited Canada just fine. Coincidence maybe, but I also recall a lot of plays with Millar being in the right spot to progress the ball up the pitch and fill in in the right spot in the midfield.

I agree with most of the general comments, great result, but would love a little more going forward. One thing that has been mentioned but not enough is that I’d feel way better about what we create from open play IF we could just also cause a few threats from set pieces! Both corners and final third free kicks have produced almost nothing and essentially just give the ball back to the opponent.

Keep doing what we’re doing, and improve our set pieces, and we’ll be cooking (as the kids say these days).

I also don’t understand it … even back when we were severely offensively challenged, we could always cause some danger off corners. Now, they seem a complete waste! What gives! Where is Kevin McKenna when you need him?!?