Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

37 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Personally I think Shaff would have made more of an impact coming in at 60' with a man up, as he did vs Peru. Still think the defensive side of his game is not where it needs to be as a wide mid. Perhaps I watched a different game, but I thought we played quite well and a lot better than v Peru. Btw does anyone know why we were not awarded a penalty on the Richie play that ended up hitting the Chile defender on the hand when he was sprawled on the ground?

That was an odd one, I only saw it live and one partial replay, it looked like it definitely hit his arm which he was dragging but is that an unnatural position? I will have to look at it again because I really thought it should have been looked at!

40 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I just find Millar doesn’t rise to the occasion in big games. Needless giveaways and lack of execution. Of course everyone makes mistakes all the time, but his really stick out to me.

He certainly made some ugly plays going to the net tonight in his decision making 

He didn’t play well against Argentina?

1 hour ago, eramosat said:

I sincerely hope Kone watched every touch Osorio had.  Because Jonathan took a lot of easy ways out, the same easy ways Kone has.  First touch away to open teammate.  Very simple.  

Apart from advancing in a major tournament to play one more game against a quality opponent, for all the players, might be the most important advancement.  Kone should certainly feel the burn, I hope he comes back.

This is it right here.  Osorio kept it super simple and it worked well.  A tonne of negative passes, but done properly and kept possession.  Kone tries a little too hard to change the game on his own.  He's proven he can do it, but just needs to figure out when to keep it simple.  

Bottom line, we're a better team with Kone in there when he's at his best, he just needs to find the balance.  I have no doubt he will.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I lowkey miss Herdmans ability to change formations with our guys. It needed it when we went up a man.

I don't miss anything about Herdman.  Thanks for everything, but we weren't getting anywhere with him.  We climaxed and started a steady descent.  I feel so much more confident with Marsch, he's already accomplished soo much with a new team and little familiarity.   

1 hour ago, Shway said:

To each is their own. I appreciated it when it worked, and questioned it when it didn't. However my main appreciation is that there was an attempt at some adjustments whether they were wrong or not.

This 442 shit isn't it. Larin starting every game isn't it. There's a lot of tactical questions that I'm wondering, but they are being masked. 

Sure we can criticize little details and formation, but at the end of the day and bottom line is Canada is into the quarter finals of Copa freakin America.  We advanced while players still haven't even attained their ceilings (Davies, Tajon, Millar, Kone, Larin, David....).  Today's result is so much bigger than "Winning" CONCACAF WCQ.  Marsch is still new, the players are still learning.  We're on the right path.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Sure we can criticize little details and formation, but at the end of the day and bottom line is Canada is into the quarter finals of Copa freakin America.  We advanced while players still haven't even attained their ceilings (Davies, Tajon, Millar, Kone, Larin, David....).  Today's result is so much bigger than "Winning" CONCACAF WCQ.  Marsch is still new, the players are still learning.  We're on the right path.

IMHO, the ultimate prize is still qualifying for the WC.  Which we hadn't done in 36 years.    This would be the second greatest achievement.  Even greater than the GC win in 2001.

There is a chance, based on the current opponents versus the next opponents that Canada could reach teh semi finals.  if you can beat Peru (ranked 31st) and draw Chile (ranked 40), why should one be intimidated by Venezuela (ranked 54th)?

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

He didn’t play well against Argentina?

I think he was fine. I don’t think he did anything where I was like, wow what a great effort. I’d say my thought process is an accumulation of performances over 5 years or so and I feel tonight reinforced it again for me 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Cornelius looked like a beast again. Bombito did well but he is still young, raw and a bit naive. I don't have 100% confidence in him yet. Still feels like he has errors in him as is likely for someone young with little experience.

He was lucky not to get a red for the forearm early on. 

The future is looking bright at the back though imo. Its CM/DM I'm worried about more.

My thoughts exactly. Bombito is going to be a stud for a long time for us but he still looks raw out there. Few careless mistakes but his potential is evident with his athleticism. Cornelius deserves a move to a superior league, solid and composed in the back again tonight. Would feel good about these guys starting game 1 in 2026 World Cup for Canada.

39 minutes ago, costarg said:

This is it right here.  Osorio kept it super simple and it worked well.  A tonne of negative passes, but done properly and kept possession.  Kone tries a little too hard to change the game on his own.  He's proven he can do it, but just needs to figure out when to keep it simple.  

Bottom line, we're a better team with Kone in there when he's at his best, he just needs to find the balance.  I have no doubt he will.

I mean...it cannot be that hard to figure out.  I have zero footie intelligence, zip.  And simply watching one Osorio game after many Kone games, the difference was immediately apparent.  So this must be a teeter-totter any mid applies to their game...risk vs reward.  And put the opponent in a state of "this is normal", an then make the move.

To be honest, I am zero surprised a young player has to learn their way into it.  They have to hit a ceiling firs, before there's incentive to change.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

We're through... hooray.
But we are playing so shit.

Crepeau, Bombito, Corneilius, Jakey, Laryea and Staq have been the only ones who I have been consistent and I would have positive things to say. 

Everyone else....

Oh bullshit, Davies is our best by far, well except for Crepeau.

Incidentally, Chilean media right now is completely incensed - the team (everyone in Chile really) believes they were robbed by Roldan (the Colombian ref) because of the non-call on Bombito and the red card to Suazo.  Apparently the Chilean federation president is threatening to lodge a formal protest with CONMEBOL (if my Spanish is correct).

Nice to be on the good side of calls for a change.  😉 

Yeah not sure what happened to Shway tonight.

Unbelievable tournament and results. Finally results are coming.

The World Cup was so disappointing to not even get a point. Played a wide open style at the World Cup and got nothing. Way more of a defensive counter play under Marsch (w/ real young CB's) and we get results versus both Peru and Chile. We are through with a great opportunity to make the semi finals.  The better we do in these tournaments, the more opponents will want to play us in friendlies etc

3 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Incidentally, Chilean media right now is completely incensed - the team (everyone in Chile really) believes they were robbed by Roldan (the Colombian ref) because of the non-call on Bombito and the red card to Suazo.  Apparently the Chilean federation president is threatening to lodge a formal protest with CONMEBOL (if my Spanish is correct).

I haven’t seen an angle of Bombito even making contact. Did he? 

14 minutes ago, GasPed said:

The Chilean federation has tried this stuff many times.   There is a history.   The same federation tried to have FIFA expel Ecuador (and replace them with Chile) for using an ineligible player.  They made their protest after the WCQ was completed even though they could have filed their protest many months prior.  Fifa eventually  ruled against them.   There is another similar story that i don't recall.   

FIFA judges detail why they rejected Chile World Cup appeal | AP News

They wanted to replace ecuador

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I haven’t seen an angle of Bombito even making contact. Did he? 

I would say yes, but a fair degree of embellishment was involved.  See below.  

I've also heard that Bombito is getting more abuse on social media, which is both sad and unsurprising...

16 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Cry.

Harder.

edit: directed at Chile.

Edited by kacbru
clarity