Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

5 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

One of the biggest compliments I can give the boys and Marsch is that I am not scared of our CBs. They actually have made me feel quite positive about our chances of getting a result today and next round. 

Cornelius looked like a beast again. Bombito did well but he is still young, raw and a bit naive. I don't have 100% confidence in him yet. Still feels like he has errors in him as is likely for someone young with little experience.

He was lucky not to get a red for the forearm early on. 

The future is looking bright at the back though imo. Its CM/DM I'm worried about more.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

So is this what we want our coach to do? Setup to play for the draw?

Im happy we are advancing!
I just said 3 games in 2 of which we were a man up and we are playing like shit. You said it yourself that "we're not going to win over new fans".

It's bad to watch.

Actually what you’re saying is Copa America is bad to watch.  This is CONMEBOL…silky attractive football in this tournament gets you nothing.

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

We also didn't play a man up for consecutive games either.

A team tried to bully us out of the game, because they thought that was their best way to win (see the comments before) and got punished.  Another team could not cope with team speed (in a somewhat unusual position for the player) for both yellows in another.  You team is doing something right to draw those. 

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

Okay, and that's like saying he's adjusted because he's wearing red instead of white. The point I was making was that he doesn't adjust once he has his philosophy across. 4231 with Leeds and never changed when it required him against some opponents. Same thing we are seeing with Canada in a different formation.

You are upset at him in another post for changing the approach.  You need to pick one position. 

26 minutes ago, Shway said:

wtf lol...you're grasping for straws now by making statements up...but....uhh okay.

"Bad, bad, American coach"  

I apologise for putting those words in your mouth. My memory is you saying before anything tactical that you would not have Marsch because he was American.  Am I wrong on that?

1 minute ago, Canucklehead69 said:

I don't know if I just hate his haircut but I'm not that big of a fan of Miller

Rather Tajon in that spot.

I actually think Shaffelburg gets the start next game he seemed to mesh well with Davies

hmmm.  I think there will be a few opinions chiming in on this opinion.  myself, I would pick the Millar - Davies combo to start, in every match scenario.  We'll see what others think.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think Bombito can grow into our best defender - and maybe even be our best defender in a long time, but Cornelius being steady and consistently reliable is hugely important over the next year or two.  

I agree in the upside for Bombito. He’s more athletic than Cornelius. It’s just nice to see players emerging like this. It’s funny how quickly it can change 

3 minutes ago, eramosat said:

hmmm.  I think there will be a few opinions chiming in on this opinion.  myself, I would pick the Millar - Davies combo to start, in every match scenario.  We'll see what others think.

As I said I'm 1 million percent biased because of his hair. Don't know why but I think it amplifies every mistake he makes in my mind

Either way Davies is finally starting to look like Panama game Davies which is nice. He had his best game in a while for us

Personally I think Shaff would have made more of an impact coming in at 60' with a man up, as he did vs Peru. Still think the defensive side of his game is not where it needs to be as a wide mid. Perhaps I watched a different game, but I thought we played quite well and a lot better than v Peru. Btw does anyone know why we were not awarded a penalty on the Richie play that ended up hitting the Chile defender on the hand when he was sprawled on the ground?

Edited by Kadenge

10 minutes ago, eramosat said:

I just find Millar doesn’t rise to the occasion in big games. Needless giveaways and lack of execution. Of course everyone makes mistakes all the time, but his really stick out to me.

He certainly made some ugly plays going to the net tonight in his decision making 

3 minutes ago, Canucklehead69 said:

As I said I'm 1 million percent biased because of his hair. Don't know why but I think it amplifies every mistake he makes in my mind

Either way Davies is finally starting to look like Panama game Davies which is nice. He had his best game in a while for us

Fair enough.  

I think you are right that unleashing Davies from LB is a massively important task for the Canada formation.  I watched earlier matches, the friendlies in Europe and the Argentine match, with Millar in place that did it wonderfully.  Shaff's time has been, let's say, a lot more chaotic.  Plus today's foray simply wasn't representative...10 vs 9.  Shaff only looked better in that extra player time, before that he was not so helpful?

Someday.  When Canada has a great formation and approach that allows Davies to display his full skillset, it will be a great victory for the coaches, and probably the team.  They have some time to figure it out, although maybe not the opponents to test it against.

44 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I know this is not welcomed, but I am compelled to get it off my chest.  Grass _is_ turf (rather the matrix of grass roots and soil is turf).  Turf and Sod are synonyms.  It is why they call the non-natural stuff _artificial_ turf.  It is why Scott named their fertilizer Turf Builder.

Sorry about that.  I feel better now.

A man after my own heart.  There is also a reason why they call it artificial turf, because it is fake grass.  Plastic stuff is not turf it is artificial turf.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Yes super athletic, pacey & skilled but most of young bucks have never played against teams like Chile & Peru. Didn't we say pre Copa that if we advanced out of our group it would be a major achievement. Well mission accomplished!

Regarding the bolded Part.  Like it or not, this is now our identity, and I am good with that.  For the longest time we struggled to figure out how we should play.  Should we try pattern our game off of the the British iles which is direct and pacy.   Or the Latin American style which is slow,  methodical and intricate.  Or the continental European which a blend of both based on possession and movement. 

Our style right now depends on being aggressive in defending and using our pace to exploit space and hit on counter attacks to create goals.   Whether its Jesse Marsch or John Herdman coaching, this is still our style with only minor differences between the two coaches.   Interesting,  what the world now says about us in international Basketball and soccer is exactly the same.   In basketball we are described as very athletic and aggressive with some of the best on-ball defenders who can generate offense from turn overs resulting in quick transition and easy baskets.   

This is our identity and its working because Its getting results that we never had.  and reaching new heights that we never achieved. 

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Regarding the bolded Part.  Like it or not, this is now our identity, and I am ok with that.  For the longest time we struggled to figure out how we should play.  Should we try pattern our game off of the the British iles which is direct and pacy.   Or the Latin American style which is slow,  methodical and intricate.  Or the continental European which a blend of both based on possession and movement. 

Our style right now depend on being aggressive in defending and using our pace to exploit space and hit on counter attacks to create goals.   Whether its Jesse Marsch or John Herdman coaching, this is still our style with only minor differences between the two coaches.   Interesting,  what the world now says about us in international Basketball and soccer is exactly the same.   In basketball we are described as very athletic and aggressive with some of the best on-ball defenders who can generate offense from turn overs resulting in quick transition and easy baskets.   

I am somewhat willing to commit to a modern Canadian identity including the counter, whatever else it includes.  Maybe that is a step on the standard FIFA 40-to-30 rankings tutorial, and maybe not.  But it certainly applies.

All things needing to be explored and learned by the squad currently in place.