Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

…everything you stated sounds like a defender not our striker leading the line

It isn’t totally surprising.  We only needed a draw to advance and set out to be prioritize defensive effort.  That is good coaching and good tactics that got us the needed result.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

It isn’t totally surprising.  We only needed a draw to advance and set out to be prioritize defensive effort.  That is good coaching and good tactics that got us the needed result.  

So is this what we want our coach to do? Setup to play for the draw?

Im happy we are advancing!
I just said 3 games in 2 of which we were a man up and we are playing like shit. You said it yourself that "we're not going to win over new fans".

It's bad to watch.

5 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Its probaly grass over turf at the Jerry Jones centre

I know this is not welcomed, but I am compelled to get it off my chest.  Grass _is_ turf (rather the matrix of grass roots and soil is turf).  Turf and Sod are synonyms.  It is why they call the non-natural stuff _artificial_ turf.  It is why Scott named their fertilizer Turf Builder.

Sorry about that.  I feel better now.

Just now, Shway said:

In games where a draw is what we need, playing against higher ranked teams?   Yes.  Play safe and conservative and get the necessary result.  

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

I just said 3 games in 2 of which we were a man up and we are playing like shit…

It's bad to watch.

Disagree.  I don’t think we played like shit and I don’t think it was bad to watch.  Anyone expecting us to play like the Harlem Globetrotters is not being realistic about our current status.  

We need to be tactically smart and disciplined.  I will absolutely take more if this.  

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Im happy we are advancing!
I just said 3 games in 2 of which we were a man up and we are playing like shit. You said it yourself that "we're not going to win over new fans".

It's bad to watch.

You need to decide if he makes adjustments or not. 

If we are playing for a draw that is a clear adjustment, if you believe that is what happened.

Regardless of just 1 goal in 3 games, I believe our young squad will have learnt  a lot especially from the last 2. Both gutsy performances and while bending at times we did not break. Yes super athletic, pacey & skilled but most of young bucks have never played against teams like Chile & Peru. Didn't we say pre Copa that if we advanced out of our group it would be a major achievement. Well mission accomplished!

Great game lads!

Midfield defensive cover is still worry, as is our limp attack when it comes to final balls and decisive passes. 

We are in the quarter finals though and a big chance to go one better!

First time chile didn't make it past the group stage in 20 years. An amazing achievement for us.

Also great to see Tajon back looking like Tajon. Shaffleburg has taken Millars slot now, for me at least. 

Canada played well but up front I still think Shaffelburg is your best asset up front 

Was a penalty on David in first half.  

Canada needs that sort of player that could be the #10 ,  Colyn and Hoilett both injured and maybe EUSTAQUIO there as 10 but, who plays deep then ?

Edited by JAVIERF

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Regardless of just 1 goal in 3 games, I believe our young squad will have learnt  a lot especially from the last 2. Both gutsy performances and while bending at times we did not break. Yes super athletic, pacey & skilled but most of young bucks have never played against teams like Chile & Peru. Didn't we say pre Copa that if we advanced out of our group it would be a major achievement. Well mission accomplished!

And I think these past two games will give our guys a different perspective on the Argentina game, from which they've already taken a chunk of learning. I'd love to get a second chance to play Argentina. Just need to get past the quarters.

One thing I will point out is that Tani has looked really threatening out there in his limited minutes.  Dude is fast and always looking to attack.  I think JRR has tons of potential and I know Bair has impressed in SPL, but on this big stage Tani has looked like he is ready to take a big jump and be full international calibre.  I think he will be partnering David as our predominant starter within a year or two.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Another really ugly match where we got the result we needed, at times I think we made it harder on ourselves than it should have been vs ten men for so long but Chile are a quality side and put us to the test which is good for us moving forward! In retrospect I didn't mind JM's 11 once I saw where everyone was actually playing, it was very similar to what we have played with 3 different players starting, I sure would have liked a goal to see this out more comfortably but it is job done!

4 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

One of the biggest compliments I can give the boys and Marsch is that I am not scared of our CBs. They actually have made me feel quite positive about our chances of getting a result today and next round. 

I second that.  I thought for sure Bombito was coming out at half, but he stuck with him and Bombito rewarded the coachs faith.  Chile created almost nothing (albeit down a man), the CBS were great and Johnston was as good as he was in WCQ.  

5 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

One of the biggest compliments I can give the boys and Marsch is that I am not scared of our CBs. They actually have made me feel quite positive about our chances of getting a result today and next round. 

A lot of praise for Bombito kind of coming out of nowhere these last 3 weeks, but Cornelius has been a rock too. Very steady. Couple big headers tonight to clear the zone or stop Chilean pressure. He’s been exceptional. With Vitoria getting up there in age there was some serious concern in filling that position but these 2 have really embraced the moment 

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

A lot of praise for Bombito kind of coming out of nowhere these last 3 weeks, but Cornelius has been a rock too. Very steady. Couple big headers tonight to clear the zone or stop Chilean pressure. He’s been exceptional. With Vitoria getting up there in age there was some serious concern in filling that position but these 2 have really embraced the moment 

I think Bombito can grow into our best defender - and maybe even be our best defender in a long time, but Cornelius being steady and consistently reliable is hugely important over the next year or two.  

33 minutes ago, Vasi said:

That's excellent news

We can use our speed. I'm hoping its turf and not grass over turf

The Peru Chile game was hosted at the stadium.  The Peru manager complained about the surface, hinting it was responsible for an injury.  Looks like they removed the artificial surface and installed grass:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/soccer/att-stadium-grass-field-copa-america/287-235f4de8-ffa0-49b2-bb39-0db30715f3dd

Maybe with additional time it settles in more for good playing conditions next week.