Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I'm seeing from game 5 under a new coach in conditions, situations and against opposition  that we have completely wilted under in the past.

I can't have the world this second. 

In the past...how far is your past?

Because we were competing with Belgium, and Morrocco 2 years ago. 

It's early, but I'm sure you're aware that Marschs downfall with Leeds was his inability to adjust....when the luck wears off than what. 

26 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

The game in Arlington is indoors, so weather should not be an issue.  AT&T stadium.

That's excellent news

We can use our speed. I'm hoping its turf and not grass over turf

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

This 442 shit isn't it. Larin starting every game isn't it. There's a lot of tactical questions that I'm wondering, but they are being masked. 

I get you don't want to get your hopes up, maybe and I know you didn't want the coach but the formation gave us some historic results. 

It wasn't my first choice either but we are early days and we have done what we needed to so far, 

They don't award you anything for the best formation. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

19 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I agree we could use a change of formation but very good game for what we needed from Larin tonight. 

Battled hard, got in good positions, helped out in our box.  

I sound too negative for the positive result tonight. 

But, everything you stated sounds like a defender not our striker leading the line

Player ratings:

Crepeau - 7.5: Didn't make any saves you wouldn't expect an international keeper to make, but he still made them. Nice job coming out to head clear a ball on a late break.

Johnston - 7: Poor first half (couldn't win a header to save his life) much better second. I liked his passing.

Bombito - 6: Good in the air, lucky not to see red early.

Cornelius - 7: Solid, if unspectacular.

Davies - 7: Defensively very good. Going forward, suffered a bit from Shaffelburg's aimlessness and was not as in sync with Millar as in previous matches. One or two ok set piece deliveries but he shouldn't be taking them.

Eustaquio - 8: Composed, smart, covered lots of ground. My MOTM.

Osorio - 7: Always knew where his outlet was when getting the ball under pressure.

David - 6.5: Quiet game from him, but still lots of running with the press. Couldn't quite link up with Larin but I put that on Cyle.

Laryea - 7.5: Some mistakes, some frustrating stuff he always does, but he is responsible for the red which was the key moment of the match. 

Shaffelburg - 6: Not his best game. As he has admitted himself, his style of balls to the wall running works better in a substitute role.

Larin - 6.5: Lots of hard work, but his passing was consistently off. Lay offs and other attempted final balls never quite clicked. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

In the past...how far is your past?

Because we were competing with Belgium, and Morrocco 2 years ago. 

It's early, but I'm sure you're aware that Marschs downfall with Leeds was his inability to adjust....when the luck wears off than what. 

And we didn't get a result from either game. 

Marsch played mostly 4231 at Leeds, so he has adjusted that already.  

Unfortunately, your "Marsch is a bad American" slip is starting to show a little. It makes any real tactical analysis a little tough.

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

I sound too negative for the positive result tonight. 

But, everything you stated sounds like a defender not our striker leading the line

He skied a chance that I can remember and it wasn't the best game in world by any means but what constructively should he have done differently?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Player ratings:

Crepeau - 7.5: Didn't make any saves you wouldn't expect an international keeper to make, but he still made them. Nice job coming out to head clear a ball on a late break.

Johnston - 7: Poor first half (couldn't win a header to save his life) much better second. I liked his passing.

Davies - 7: Defensively very good. Going forward, suffered a bit from Shaffelburg's aimlessness and was not as in sync with Millar as in previous matches. One or two ok set piece deliveries but he shouldn't be taking them.

Osorio - 7: Always knew where his outlet was when getting the ball under pressure.

David - 6.5: Quiet game from him, but still lots of running with the press. Couldn't quite link up with Larin but I put that on Cyle.

Laryea - 7.5: Some mistakes, some frustrating stuff he always does, but he is responsible for the red which was the key moment of the match. 

Shaffelburg - 6: Not his best game. As he has admitted himself, his style of balls to the wall running works better in a substitute role.

Larin - 6.5: Lots of hard work, but his passing was consistently off. Lay offs and other attempted final balls never quite clicked. 

Totally agree. Eustaquio was our best player tonight!

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Player ratings:

I would put Bombito and Cornelius 1 point higher each.  The rest are fine.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is my mom’s stupid birthday and we are taking her stupid ass to a stupid restaurant.   Bullshit if you ask me. What has she ever done for me? 

Your mom isn't stupid! I'm taking mine to a concert because she's visiting Toronto for the first time in a decade 😂

And we didn't get a result from either game. 

We also didn't play a man up for consecutive games either.

Marsch played mostly 4231 at Leeds, so he has adjusted that already.  

Okay, and that's like saying he's adjusted because he's wearing red instead of white. The point I was making was that he doesn't adjust once he has his philosophy across. 4231 with Leeds and never changed when it required him against some opponents. Same thing we are seeing with Canada in a different formation.

Unfortunately, your "Marsch is a bad American" slip is starting to show a little. It makes any real tactical analysis a little tough.

wtf lol...you're grasping for straws now by making statements up...but....uhh okay.

"Bad, bad, American coach"  

Another game we would’ve lost even two years ago during our “vibes” era, so have to be pleased we did what we needed to do. 

i remember Portugal drew all 3 matches in 2016 Euros group stage and then went and won the tournament, and no one cared about how they played before the knockouts. Tournaments like this, results matter the most