Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

narduch

1 minute ago, Jack1997 said:

I feel like Koné and Buchanan need to start next game, they’re two of our best players and if we want to win we’ll need them for that. I’d like to see Larin dropped but to be honest that doesn’t seem likely at this point.

We dont need the constant give aways from Kone.  But Buchanan, yes, he needs to be in there.   

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Osorio over Kone was a big improvement.  Very little giveaways in the mid.  The fact that they both went 90 and Kone stayed on the bench may be an indication that Marsch feels the same.

Yes, it would have been nice to get the win, but at the same time, Chile didn't have many quality chances.

I sincerely hope Kone watched every touch Osorio had.  Because Jonathan took a lot of easy ways out, the same easy ways Kone has.  First touch away to open teammate.  Very simple.  

Apart from advancing in a major tournament to play one more game against a quality opponent, for all the players, might be the most important advancement.  Kone should certainly feel the burn, I hope he comes back.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Last thing....Marsch you made the logical changes with taking off Kone, and giving Jakey the start....but can you now stop starting Larin? 

I agree we could use a change of formation but very good game for what we needed from Larin tonight. 

Battled hard, got in good positions, helped out in our box.  

This tournament is basically a war

Proud of the way we've handled it

Venezuela is a fairly winnable game as well

Also love the move to let Ritchie run free. He's the biggest shit heeler we've ever had so this tournament is perfect for him. Great effort by him today

Edited by Canucklehead69

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

I lowkey miss Herdmans ability to change formations with our guys. It needed it when we went up a man.

Disagree.  I found some of Herdman’s in-game adjustments to be somewhat tone-deaf to the actual game that was unfolding.  It felt more like he was executing a predetermined plan that he decided on the day before  - and he was committed to executing it regardless of how things were developing.  There were times where I very much questioned the tactical shifts that were made in-game.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For everyone complaining about offence, David almost chipped the keeper in the first half and Tani was a foot or two offside but otherwise converted a beauty attacking play off Tajon’s cross.  This isn’t Bermuda or Cuba.  We are going to have limited chances and we will have to battle for results.  We aren’t a top 10 team that can ping it around the field and dominate good teams.  We are a team of hardworking guys that are clawing their way into global relevancy.  Proud of them so far this tourney.  

And Tajon had a good chance too. (Can't wait until that guy gets going. He had a few nice moments as a sub this evening)

10 minutes ago, Vasi said:

One amazing development in March's regime has been our defense. 

I am not scared when we defend. 

It is a bit strange, the knock in the Premier League was his team getting scored on...a lot.

But he scored a fair bit with very middling attacking players for the most part. 

I guess we will see what comes and we get more and more into the system. It's game 5 still. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

11 starters, all of those named were. 

Hard for me to say what you did, if I think over half the starters play well. 

Maybe I didn't specify, but I was speaking on the entirety of the squad throughout the group stage. We've seen 16 guys. 

You're seeing it from a glass half full perspective...I'm seeing it at, this isn't sustainable.

15 minutes ago, eramosat said:

I sincerely hope Kone watched every touch Osorio had.  Because Jonathan took a lot of easy ways out, the same easy ways Kone has.  First touch away to open teammate.  Very simple.  

Apart from advancing in a major tournament to play one more game against a quality opponent, for all the players, might be the most important advancement.  Kone should certainly feel the burn, I hope he comes back.

Totally agree - Osorio may not have top end athleticism and skill, but he plays within himself, and doesn't dribble himself into trouble.  Those are base level midfielder skills that Kone needs to drill into himself.  No question he has a much higher ceiling that any midfielder we have.  But you can't get to the ceiling unless you have a solid floor.

Edited by GasPed

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Maybe I didn't specify, but I was speaking on the entirety of the squad throughout the group stage. We've seen 16 guys. 

You're seeing it from a glass half full perspective...I'm seeing it at, this isn't sustainable.

I'm seeing from game 5 under a new coach in conditions, situations and against opposition  that we have completely wilted under in the past.

I can't have the world this second. 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Disagree.  I found some of Herdman’s in-game adjustments to be somewhat tone-deaf to the actual game that was unfolding.  It felt more like he was executing a predetermined plan that he decided on the day before  - and he was committed to executing it regardless of how things were developing.  There were times where I very much questioned the tactical shifts that were made in-game.  

To each is their own. I appreciated it when it worked, and questioned it when it didn't. However my main appreciation is that there was an attempt at some adjustments whether they were wrong or not.

This 442 shit isn't it. Larin starting every game isn't it. There's a lot of tactical questions that I'm wondering, but they are being masked.