Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

Honestly, I just can't enjoy that we are going through with how dirty Chile has been played and how seemingly determined the ref was to help. I was happy that we were going to copa, obviously, but right now? The only redeeming quality of this tournament is that we are doing well in it. 

Playing in is a necessary evil due to how much of a joke the Gold Cup is due to the two years thing but if we could reform it, play once every four years and everyone would bring their A squads to it? I'd take that over suffering that bullshit from Conmebol's refs and getting disrespected by their fans and pundits in a heartbeat.

And after that they wonder why the Euros are way more popular and they blame the pitch!

Edited by phil03

I don't get to say this too often, but that was a really smart game played by Canada. Both tactically to avoid getting caught out of position defensively at all, and individually, a lot of smart plays, keeping arms tucked in the box, not fouling on the box, avoiding the red card equalizer, winning a million headers in the 2nd half, Staq chesting to Max and many more. It wasn't pretty, but it was smart.

Incredible result. Congratulations to Marsch and the boys. Super proud! Took another important step forward tonight.

Lots still to learn. We needed that goal, and a  bit more composure with the ball, but a mostly decent half. We gave Chile very little by way of looks at goal, and that is huge. 

But I wanted that goal!

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Dont look now but Venezuela is actually beatable.  and weaker than Peru and Chile

But will they agree to playing with 10 men?

Make no mistake...Canada has completely stumbled into this tournament advancement, they didn't seize it.  That happens sometimes, and better teams take advantage.  

Still waiting for Canada to show their quality. 

But it is fantastic they have advanced too!  Like, nutty.  Just don't buy into any narrative that whomever they face have a strong team to face.

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The ref took his yellow card out of his pocket...but....in the end....did he actually give one to Tani?

It seems like he didn't?!?

Sport Idk GIF by HockeyDiversityAlliance

The score apps show it

Happy to make it to the quarters - we’ll have a pretty favourable match up too and won’t have to face a giant. Can’t wait.

Not sure what to say about that match though. I mean obviously all the platitudes are right - “did what we needed to do”, “tough and experienced Chile” side, but I’m surprised at how poor offensively we have been. One goal in 5 games under Marsch - including two games against old tier 3 squads playing a man down almost the entire game. Other than the occasional frenetic transition opportunity, we’ve really showed no ability to generate good goal scoring opportunities.

On the flip side, it’s great to see Crepeau and Cornelius flourish under Marsch - two guys that I always thought were quite underrated in our program.

So Venezuela have a really good chance of being our next round opponent and they are only +2 after 2 games.  Of all the top seed opponents we could face in the quarters, I will take it.  We could very realistically find a way through them into the semis.  Before the tournament, if someone offered us the chance to play Venezuela for a spot in the semis, I think we would have bitten their hand off.  LFG!