Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

Just now, GasPed said:

Yeah Bombito has been a bit shaky - poor decisions, he's playing too close to the edge and he needs to take a few steps back.  And you better believe not only Chile but the ref is going to be looking hard at him this entire half.

If Marsch is smart he takes him off

Just now, jonovision said:

Really? You see it a dozen times in every game.

I'm old enough to remember when waving your arms around for the ref to card an opponent was dishonourable and just not done in the leagues I have watched!

I don't think Bombito meant to clip him; he was just trying to pull is arm away from the defender, but in the process his elbow caught the guys chin. I guess we should be thankful the ref is American? Moises seems like a guy who has not yet come into his body. But when he does...

Just now, spitfire said:

desperately trying to watch on tsn but keeps buffering can't fo Fox soccer so on the monotone of premier sports...

Go Canada GO...2am here..

Thoughts on 1st half from what you have seen?

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Their passsing was poor before the red. 

But Bombito needs calm down in the face of the repeated long balls. 

Not sure who you bring it to protect him from a red though, Waterman the biggest?

Miller

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Watching the Argentina / Peru half a bit and it looks like Peru has done absolutely nothing. I can’t imagine they figure out a way to score 

But I suspect Peru is just trying to stay in the game to give them a chance in the second half.  All they need is one chance.  The last 20 or so minutes, they will pile people forward if it stays like this.  And Argentina will then get chances but Peru probably will as well

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Agreed. Laryea has done his job, time for fresh legs in the second half, even if I do think Buchanan for Laryea weakens the midfield a little bit.

They have to be careful not to put themselves a man down re cards.  Chile is still dangerous, and if Canada lost a man, it would be extremely tough.  But I am not overly worried about Bombito or Davies, the players on yellows.  A straight red?  Anything could happen with this game.

Natural subs.  Laryea -> Buchanon.  MIllar-> Shaff.  Unnatural.  Kone->Osorio.  Maybe Larin->someone?

They can wait on subs to see if the players in the match and warmed up can figure it out and make a goal.

I think I choose no subs, and some amount of increased on-ball pressure.  Which immediately makes me think Millar should come in, somewhere.  Hmmm....

1 minute ago, frattinator said:

Watching it live, it looked like Bombito was just trying to clear his space in front of him, and the contact to the head was incidental?

*Obviously wearing my Canadian glasses

Probably but he has to keep his arm down lower when the person in front of you is much smaller

Just now, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yeah, I could see Tajon, maybe Millar, coming on for Richie pretty quickly, and then maybe Miller for Bombito. Miller knows how to run in the Orlando soup.

That exactly what I was going to say.   Bring Miller in for Bombito and Buchanan for Laryea