Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

6 minutes ago, Canucklehead69 said:

They have to win by 2 and they've scored 2 or more goals twice in the last 18 matches (Dominican republic/Nicaragua)

Chile is significantly better then they are but at least this group has shown they turn up for big matches more often then not

How come they have to win by 2? A 1 goal win puts them at 0 GD and a draw leaves us at -1. Is GD not the first tie breaker?

Edited by scullion44

9 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

How come they have to win by 2? A 1 goal win puts them at 0 GD and a draw leaves us at -1. Is GD not the first tie breaker?

You are correct that was my bad I forgot about the late Argintina goal.

Hopefully not scoring another late against peru doesn't punish us in that case

This is what I wanted going into this game..a chance. Obviously a result is best but to have the opportunity to advance was all I wanted coming into the tournament, particularly this third game, as I was not expecting it after game 2. To be eliminated after 2 games in Qatar was a tough pill to swallow whether that was a realistic expectation or not. To be in a position to make the final 8 is such a great feeling to have (and stressful)

5 hours ago, costarg said:

My thoughts:

I haven't had a chance to follow Chile's matches, but one would think they started the tournament with a similar mindset and plan to us.  Thinking a loss vs Argentina, go for a result vs Peru and us.  Is it possible they were cruising vs Argentina and coming into this game relatively in good shape and everything going according to plan?  

We're younger and quicker, but they have a lot more experience than us at this level and type of tournament.  They know we can out run and out play them.  They'll be looking to outsmart us, it's gonna be dirty.

If we go by odds, I'm thinking Shaff is due for an off game and will be mostly ineffective vs Chile and Tajon & Kone tear it up.  The guy that needs to stay the most consistant is Crepeau.

Not a Chile expert by any means, but Argentina is one of their rivals and they beat Argentina in the 2016 Copa America final, at MetLife stadium no less. There's no way they were "cruising" against them. They were absolutely going for the win a result, realistic or not. I watched some of the game and they were tight and compact, looking to take advantage of their few opportunities, which they almost did.

The big difference between our game with Argentina is that our game was far more open with chances on both sides, whereas the Chilians sat back and forced Argentina to break down their block. I wonder if they can or will do that against us.

It's going to be a tough one against them tonight, either way.

50 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

They had good opportunities to score against Argentina with some well executed passing that led to good opportunities , Chile could have taken the lead against Argentina when it was 0-0.  Chile is going to be a tough game , Chile are definitely the favourites in this one . 

So did we by that metric. IMO we generated significantly more attack then they did (I know XGs have their limit but Chile getting 0.12 is fairly revealing IMO), and they were only slightly better defensively. We'd be foolish to underestimate them but I respectfully disagree with calling them the out and out favourites.

IMO the situation we are in with right now is a fair reflection of how both teams did: we didn't do massively better then them, hence us still needing a result and potentially even a win, but we did play better then they did overall, hence why its a must win for them and we'd probably be fine with a draw.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think we’ll see a very different Chile tonight than how they played their first two matches. They have to win. I think they’re going to come out on fire with the intention of overwhelming us.

Honestly? Good, it plays into their weakness and our strenghts. They are more technically gifted but we are faster, so passing in brute force would be hard for them while it would give us the opportunity to hit them on the counter.

I really hope JM sets us up like we played vs France and Argentina, the players were quite comfortable in that formation and they had a chance to establish chemistry with each other! It seemed he changed things vs Peru expecting we may dictate the play more and it really didn't work due to the heat and possibly underestimating our opponent, I think we were in big trouble until the red card! I have seen suggestions of Oso in for either Kone or possibly Latin but once again I would stick with the previous starting lineup (France & Argentina) that gives us good options off the bench and surely Kone will find his rhythm1

I'd be thrilled with a draw tonight. If that ends up happening, let's hope the other game isn't a Peru win.

If our game ended in a multi-goal draw, the ultimate screw job would be a 1-0 Peru win. We would have defeated Peru head to head and scored more goals than they did, but they would still get the nod because the first tiebreaker is goal difference. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Our results and performance in the tournament have already exceeded my expectations. Realistically, I was thinking we might get a draw against Peru or Chile and finish the group stage with 1 point, so I'm really happy with how things have gone. Advancing to the quarter-finals would be amazing.