Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 3 - Canada v Chile - June 29, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

5 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I feel like we have had good experiences with this Stadium in Orlando. Cyle Larin has scored multiple goals here in his time with Orlando. Eustaqio made his debut. I remember we played a bunch of games in Orlando during Covid including some important wins to get us to the qualifying stage. It SHOULD feel like home to our guys and very familiar. 

I'm sure Cyle is especially pumped. He's due for a goal. The key for us will be accurate passing/don't give the ball away and keep defensive shape. The longer we go without Chile scoring will force them to open up. Pressure is on Chile to get a win. 

12 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I feel like we have had good experiences with this Stadium in Orlando. Cyle Larin has scored multiple goals here in his time with Orlando. Eustaqio made his debut. I remember we played a bunch of games in Orlando during Covid including some important wins to get us to the qualifying stage. It SHOULD feel like home to our guys and very familiar. 

It was also home for Miller and Laryea for a while as well.

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I'm sure Cyle is especially pumped. He's due for a goal. The key for us will be accurate passing/don't give the ball away and keep defensive shape. The longer we go without Chile scoring will force them to open up. Pressure is on Chile to get a win. 

Larin scored the first ever goal in this stadium and also bagged his first international hat trick here. So good vibes. 

2 hours ago, costarg said:

My thoughts:

I haven't had a chance to follow Chile's matches, but one would think they started the tournament with a similar mindset and plan to us.  Thinking a loss vs Argentina, go for a result vs Peru and us.  Is it possible they were cruising vs Argentina and coming into this game relatively in good shape and everything going according to plan?  

We're younger and quicker, but they have a lot more experience than us at this level and type of tournament.  They know we can out run and out play them.  They'll be looking to outsmart us, it's gonna be dirty.

If we go by odds, I'm thinking Shaff is due for an off game and will be mostly ineffective vs Chile and Tajon & Kone tear it up.  The guy that needs to stay the most consistant is Crepeau.

They played defensively vs Argentina (outside of a few spells) but they definitely were not cruising, both teams were giving it 100%, honestly it felt like that match (Chi v Arg) was played at a much high level of intensity than the current Sui v Ita Euro knockout match. Chile didn't generate much v Argentina in the end, but I was still impressed by their play and expect them to be a very difficult opponent tonight.

9 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

They played defensively vs Argentina (outside of a few spells) but they definitely were not cruising, both teams were giving it 100%, honestly it felt like that match (Chi v Arg) was played at a much high level of intensity than the current Sui v Ita Euro knockout match. Chile didn't generate much v Argentina in the end, but I was still impressed by their play and expect them to be a very difficult opponent tonight.

I didn't watch the entire game but they kinda looked better when Sanchez came off.

38 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Love that graphic just for what it says.

Top flight Scotland.

Top flight USA.

Top flight Italy.

Top flight France.

Top flight Portugal.

Top flight Spain.

Top flight Germany.

Top flight ????? (Formally top flight Sweden).

Top flight????? (Formally English 2nd tier).

I've gotten old waiting to see the day.

13 minutes ago, frattinator said:

Hey I remember absolutely dreading about Suriname’s dual nationals and how they would lead to our demise

I remember one-time contemplating an alternate reality where that early shot by Suriname that went off the bar went in, and maybe we lost our cool and got a red card or who knows what craziness, and we ended up losing that game and missing out on the rest of WCQ and the World Cup itself. It was painful to think about, so much was riding on that one game, and as we saw with US-Panama (or US vs T&T in a previous cycle) anything can happen on one game.

Just now, 74 Whitecap said:

I remember one-time contemplating an alternate reality where that early shot by Suriname that went off the bar went in, and maybe we lost our cool and got a red card or who knows what craziness, and we ended up losing that game and missing out on the rest of WCQ and the World Cup itself. It was painful to think about, so much was riding on that one game, and as we saw with US-Panama (or US vs T&T in a previous cycle) anything can happen on one game.

Yeah, there was serious trepidation ahead of that Suriname matchup. Definite concerns over the guys with Eredivisie experience. Feels like forever ago now. 

1 hour ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I agree - despite their age, Chile has impressed me with both their work rate and their skills.  Their match against Peru was fast-paced and extremely physical, but Chile had the edge with their technical skills and overall play.  To me they play a lot like Peru but with more skill and tactical acumen.  If they play with that same intensity tonight, we're going to have our hands full.  

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Can you elaborate x3 ?

Well they are saying even though we are a strong, powerful, fast team we are a physical team and will use that physicality but that they will be ready for it. By trying to be just as if not more physical than we are as a way to frustrate us.

1 minute ago, TGAA_Star said:

Well they are saying even though we are a strong, powerful, fast team we are a physical team and will use that physicality but that they will be ready for it. By trying to be just as if not more physical than we are as a way to frustrate us.

Not sure those are mind games

20 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Peru can win vs an Argentina B team and that scares me a bit

They have to win by 2 and they've scored 2 or more goals twice in the last 18 matches (Dominican republic/Nicaragua)

Chile is significantly better then they are but at least this group has shown they turn up for big matches more often then not

Edited by Canucklehead69

52 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I agree - despite their age, Chile has impressed me with both their work rate and their skills.  Their match against Peru was fast-paced and extremely physical, but Chile had the edge with their technical skills and overall play.  To me they play a lot like Peru but with more skill and tactical acumen.  If they play with that same intensity tonight, we're going to have our hands full.  

They had good opportunities to score against Argentina with some well executed passing that led to good opportunities , Chile could have taken the lead against Argentina when it was 0-0.  Chile is going to be a tough game , Chile are definitely the favourites in this one .