Copa America Canada Player Transfer Predictions?

I dunno, I know I'm wrong and they make some pretty good coin there and all, but The Championship just doesn't do it for me.  To me it's like being in the AHL, pretty good for us mere mortals but not quite the same as the big league.  But then again you could compare every national league to one of the big four/five and come up wanting

Even the SPL seems to have a cachet that the Championship doesn't.

Ok, irrational moan and groan officially over.

29 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I dunno, I know I'm wrong and they make some pretty good coin there and all, but The Championship just doesn't do it for me.  To me it's like being in the AHL, pretty good for us mere mortals but not quite the same as the big league.  But then again you could compare every national league to one of the big four/five and come up wanting

I get that. And considering where our program is now at, this rings true more than it did in the past.

Back in the day, having a player in the Championship was kinda solid, but now it's not so impressive and dare I say the floor of where our Canadian internationals need to be playing. 

This is not to say there isn't good teams and players in that division, nothing wrong with the level, it's just a matter of our standards improving and our perceptions likewise shifting.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wonder what the price tag on a guy like Tani is. Half a season in MLS, but the talent is so obvious.

It's a good question. Ultimately it comes down to how much the Loons feel they can get for him, I guess. MLS teams aren't very good at pricing players to sell, so I could see them holding out for as much as 5M.

Bombito is a defender with the same age and roughly the same experience level and Colorado seemingly want 7 figures, which is kind of crazy. 

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

Wonder what Nashville fans think about losing Shaffelburg while they try to make the playoffs.

Personally would love him out of there as that team seems to be a mess now.

I had initially misread your second sentence and thought it said to stay in Nashville.

To me this really is a case of strike while the iron is hot.  Think of it this way, he is still basically the same player he was before the Copa.  But was he getting these kind of looks before the Copa, I don't think so and I think it will quickly wear off.  And the only way to get it back is to do well at the WC and that is two years away and he'd likely still be at Nashville.

He's gotta move now if it is not too late already for him.  He's not a Johnny David that will score 15 goals a year and keep up the high profile.  I really believe this is his big chance, moreso than any other player.

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's a good question. Ultimately it comes down to how much the Loons feel they can get for him, I guess. MLS teams aren't very good at pricing players to sell, so I could see them holding out for as much as 5M.

Bombito is a defender with the same age and roughly the same experience level and Colorado seemingly want 7 figures, which is kind of crazy. 

For Minnesota, if they think Tani can be a consistent ~15 goal scorer, what’s that value to them? Is $5M worth giving up a guy who can be a top tier striker in MLS, since Minnesota does have their own league/cup aspirations? On the other hand, does a European team pay $5M for a 24 year old striker with a handful of MLS appearances? I do hope he makes that move soon, I don’t know how long he can hold his value at his age, but he’s looked awesome at both levels he’s played, so he might fit in perfectly somewhere in Turkey or the championship right away.

On 8/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think if you throw "Premier" into the name, it elevates everything.  Kinda like adding truffle oil to mac and cheese.

Of course this coming from someone who doesn't understand why Marcus Haber isn't getting called up given his recent record in the Premiership.

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

I think if you throw "Premier" into the name, it elevates everything.  Kinda like adding truffle oil to mac and cheese.

I think history elevates the prestige.  The SPL has a long history and many storied clubs.

This kind of goes back to something I posted a while back. 

We had lots of players at historical high profile clubs ie Brugge, Malmo, Rosenborg etc but they're not in Top 5 leagues and are far from it.

So it sounds great if you are a fan, or fan of history that Malmo were runner-up in the 1978–79 European Cup but that (to me) distorts where they are now in the scheme of things.

I go back to Herdman (who I believe had the analytics to back it up) and said we need most of our top players to be playing in the top leagues.  Sometimes the simplest things are the smartest things.

12 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I go back to Herdman (who I believe had the analytics to back it up) and said we need most of our top players to be playing in the top leagues.  Sometimes the simplest things are the smartest things.

Agree with the top 5 leagues idea but don’t discount playing in a top team in a second tier league a la Staq and Alistair.  They get pressure every week to win and get cracks at Champions League. Also doing well on those teams opens up top 5 league opportunities. If you just go back 4 years and look at where our players plied their trade it’s incredible the step up in teams. Guys like Will Johnston were important guys and now he would be lucky to make the squad never mind start. 
I also like looking at the club rankings to determine the value of playing in lesser leagues. Some are quite surprising in terms of quality and I would rather our players get starter minutes on a Porto than play garbage minutes or ride the line on a BHA.

5 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I would rather our players get starter minutes on a Porto than play garbage minutes or ride the line on a BHA.

It kind of goes without saying that it is better to have a playing MLS level player than a non playing bigger league player.  The Canadian team already proved that point.

Generally, the Canadian team was on the side of benefiting from the former but I think Tajon can be used as an example of the latter.  Until his final game before he got hurt where he showed some improvement, his previous games were not at the level as when he was receiving regular playing time at his old club

48 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

This might not necessarily fit here cause it could be a non-Copa player but Patrice saying a Montreal-born/raised player is linked to a championship club 

Why not name the player? 

Choiniere or Saliba might be the guy. Anyone else it could be? Sirois?

12 – Jacen Russell-Rowe | ?
14 – Jacob Shaffelburg | Belgium, Holland, Spain 2, Lyon
25 – Tani Oluwaseyi | ?

Are these the last realistic possibilities for transfer (aside from Davies and David) or is that it?  Shaff really has to move now, IMO.