Copa America Canada Player Transfer Predictions?

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't agree with this narrative that Eustaquio should leave Porto. Unless there is the possibility to make a lateral move, or maybe even a step up, I think a rotational role is fine. A young guy may get sold. 

I don't like the Braga shout and I definitely don't like the MLS shout, but La Liga would be cool. I like the Celta Viga shout, short move across the border. 

Let's keep in mind he was close to moving to Fenerbahce at one point. That would be more disruptive, but I would prefer it to Braga or MLS. The step down would only be slight and he would be competing for trophies and playing in Europe. 

Edited by Obinna

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't agree with this narrative that Eustaquio should leave Porto. Unless there is the possibility to make a lateral move, or maybe even a step up, I think a rotational move is fine. A young guy may get sold. 

I don't like the Braga shout and I definitely don't like the MLS shout, but La Liga would be cool. I like the Celta Viga shout, short move across the border. 

Let's keep in mind he was close to moving to Fenerbahce at one point. That would be more disruptive, but I would prefer it to Braga or MLS. The step down would only be slight and he would be competing for trophies and playing in Europe. 

I agree with you, but have to say: One Soccer does totally random baseless transfer stories, it is the worst part of their programming as I see it. Some editor says "make shit up" and they do.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree with you, but have to say: One Soccer does totally random baseless transfer stories, it is the worst part of their programming as I see it. Some editor says "make shit up" and they do.

Not exactly.

They just report stuff other people have made up.  I have never seen them say anything I haven't seen elsewhere. For good or bad.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree, and I don't listen/read that kind of stuff because we on here basically know or have heard this stuff elsewhere.  In fairness though, they are talking about Canadian soccer, something we don't usually get from the main networks.

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not exactly.

They just report stuff other people have made up.  I have never seen them say anything I haven't seen elsewhere. For good or bad.

Not true, Demming just makes stuff up constantly when doing One Soccer pieces. Even given soccer rumour mills can cover a broad span of baselessness.

The whole Eustaquio to Braga is ungrounded, he's done the same countless times because some editor tells him listeners like it. 

I'm not going to go back and listen to the worst of Demming to give you the examples.

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not going to go back and listen to the worst of Demming to give you the examples.

Convenient. Please do or it didn't happen, honestly. 

Spectulating about what could work for a player or club or what a commentator would like is not creating a transfer story, unless someone is a massively gullible media consumer.  

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We need a “The (un)importance of Rick Westhead” thread.  

Oddly I actually agree with those saying it's good to have all this diversity of journalistic voices and debates on them, favourites and ones you dislike. Its a sign of a maturing soccer media landscape. 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Convenient. Please do or it didn't happen, honestly. 

Spectulating about what could work for a player or club or what a commentator would like is not creating a transfer story, unless someone is a massively gullible media consumer.  

There's a difference between pub chat and rumours. Then rumours that are being manipulated and others more substantial. 

A lot of the Demming/Gagne-Ruzic transfer podcasts are like pub chat, it's random banter of the level of "Fiorentina is a nice club and I really like the look of a player like Choinière going there", ad nauseam.

For example, they often ignore when contracts are up and almost never consider salary possibilities.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's a difference between pub chat and rumours. Then rumours that are being manipulated and others more substantial. 

A lot of the Demming/Gagne-Ruzic transfer podcasts are like pub chat, it's random banter of the level of "Fiorentina is a nice club and I really like the look of a player like Choinière going there", ad nauseam.

For example, they often ignore when contracts are up and almost never consider salary possibilities.

So you are agreeing with me.

Lots of places "pub chat" to fill space. 

eg.

https://www.90min.com/features/five-euro-2024-stars-barcelona-should-sign

5 Euro 2024 stars Barcelona should sign

That is not making up a transfer story, unless someone is massively gullible and can't tell the difference. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 hours ago, Ivan said:

I agree, and I don't listen/read that kind of stuff because we on here basically know or have heard this stuff elsewhere.  In fairness though, they are talking about Canadian soccer, something we don't usually get from the main networks.

I have to disagree with this a bit.  Seeing as I am the one who it seems most often is posting this stuff, I am usually posting it in the form of news.  If the news was already posted here by someone else I wouldn't bother.

Also, we're all stealing from a main source and if someone else ie Onesoccer brings attention to a source none of us has seen yet, that is fine in my books.

Sure, they do a fair amount of BS "pub chat" like stuff, that's not really my cup of tea, but sometimes you just need content to "cover the black" and hold  attention while waiting for some actual news.

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Sure, they do a fair amount of BS "pub chat" like stuff, that's not really my cup of tea, but sometimes you just need content to "cover the black" and hold  attention while waiting for some actual news.

This is it. I don't mind it, personally. Yes there is no basis, so I see what @Unnamed Trialist is saying, but for me it's just fun speculation, that's how I see it. It'd be different if they were intentionally being disingenuious by suggesting Eustaquio to Porto had legs when it didn't, for example

Today is an example why not starting isn't necessarily reason for Eustaquio to leave Porto. He came off the bench in the 62nd minute and played until 90 minutes, then an extra 30 minutes after that, helping his team win and even picking up an assist. Not every game can be a Cup final, or I guess a Super Cup in this case, but the point stands - he doesn't always have to start in order to be important. 

What we don't want is for him to get locked into a pattern where he's playing 5 or 10 minutes a match for months on end, which is what he had to deal with in the 2nd half of last season. That seemed to be the copnsequence of a blow up with the now departed coach, so although his assistant is in charge this is probably a fresh start, and a good start for him personally. 

20 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I have to disagree with this a bit.  Seeing as I am the one who it seems most often is posting this stuff, I am usually posting it in the form of news.  If the news was already posted here by someone else I wouldn't bother.

Also, we're all stealing from a main source and if someone else ie Onesoccer brings attention to a source none of us has seen yet, that is fine in my books.

My new take the past few months is I don't believe or react to anything until Fabrizio Romano tweets it.  The rest just seems like pointless chatter and not worth reading, considering or debating.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

My new take the past few months is I don't believe or react to anything until Fabrizio Romano tweets it.  The rest just seems like pointless chatter and not worth reading, considering or debating.

That's just about what I do as well

I should have said I agreed with the Fabrizio Romano part.  As for the second part that is much of the fun of what being a fan is about.

I would have edited my post but I can't stand that this forum puts up a big edited sign even if you edited the post five seconds after clicking submit reply.

It should have a waiting period like other forums.  Sorry, but it just bugs me.

38 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

As for the second part that is much of the fun of what being a fan is about.

Bah, I could do without the 4 year 300 page Jonathan David xfer saga and speculation.  I must've wasted 3 hours of my life clicking and reading through all that.  I like updates on him but could do without the pointless rumors and debates about him on one team vs another that he will never actually happen.

59 minutes ago, costarg said:

You seem to have omitted Auxerre my friend!

OK, not quite the same level, but still same league.

I've put the Ligue 1 top 5 teams at this moment.

Back in the days, AJ Auxerre was Ligue 1 top 5 teams (Guy's era and Cisse's era).