Copa America Canada Player Transfer Predictions?

Still very curious to see where Jo ends up. 

Zirkzee to Man United

Taremi to Inter

Morata to AC Milan

I don’t think he was seriously linked to Inter but the other two he’s had links to for a while. 

I feel like he needs to go elevate himself somewhere and if it doesn’t work out, he will always have options back in Ligue 1. I believe now is the time to a risk, just not quite sure how big a club that’ll be.

20 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Still very curious to see where Jo ends up. 

Zirkzee to Man United

Taremi to Inter

Morata to AC Milan

I don’t think he was seriously linked to Inter but the other two he’s had links to for a while. 

I feel like he needs to go elevate himself somewhere and if it doesn’t work out, he will always have options back in Ligue 1. I believe now is the time to a risk, just not quite sure how big a club that’ll be.

Spurs?

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Spurs?

Some supposed ITK has said Postecoglou is "obsessed" with him.  I personally hope if that was true, they would have made a move by now.

Manu U, Aston Villa, Chelsea and West Ham United were supposed to be the others interested.  The latest news from us it that we have cooled. 

Edit: Newcastle came up as well I see. 

I have not heard anything foreign for a bit.  These are English sites/papers but they do track the stories pretty close, when they think their readers' team would be a rival. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Used to say that to my grandparents as a toddler growing up in Newfoundland lol

Had me coughing up my coffee there this morning.  That's funny.

Can't even imagine the licking I'd have got for that.  And it would be the front pew at mass with all the other rotten boys (it was always boys for some reason) come Sunday.  Sure as shit.

Still giggling.  THAT is funny.

Bombito is back with Colorado and still wanting to move to Lyon. The French side has reportedly stated they will go as high as 5.5M, which would blow out the Rapids' previous record of 3M, but according to this source that amount is considered insufficent for Bombito.

The new wrinkle here is that a player moving from Lyon in the other direction could help facilitate the deal... 

https://www.givemesport.com/tom-bogert-notebook-transfer-news-mls/

This source also touches on Choiniere, saying how the market could heat up for him as the summer transfer window opens. It's specifically focused on a move within MLS, but I wonder if some European clubs could try and jump in for his signature here...

If Cornelius moves to Marseille, that leaves Davies, David, Bombito, Millar and Shaffelburg as the only likely Copa players left available for transfer.  Is the latest and greatest tag wearing off of Bombito, Millar and Shaffelburg or can we still expect a move.

3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

If Cornelius moves to Marseille, that leaves Davies, David, Bombito, Millar and Shaffelburg as the only likely Copa players left available for transfer.  Is the latest and greatest tag wearing off of Bombito, Millar and Shaffelburg or can we still expect a move.

Millar will move, pretty sure.  Just depends where.  

I don't think Shaffelburg or Bombito need to this second. 

Davies is probably staying 

People will get antsy near the end - buyers and the seller -  and David will move.  If 30 + 10 agent fees is anywhere near true, that will come down. 

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Millar will move, pretty sure.  Just depends where.  

I don't think Shaffelburg or Bombito need to this second. 

Davies is probably staying 

People will get antsy near the end - buyers and the seller -  and David will move.  If 30 + 10 agent fees is anywhere near true, that will come down. 

Exactly as I think it's playing out.

Unless there's a late Davies move.

I think Bombito needs to go immediately, especially when it's hot. At 25, those European chances don't come often at big clubs. 

I hope the Rapids except an offer, get Lyon to include a sell-on clause to make this move happen.

As for David, I think he does exactly what Davies will end up doing. They will run down their contracts, and pick their new clubs in summer of 25'.

However, IMO I think it would be best for all our key guys to get moves this year, so they aren't adjusting to their new clubs in a World Cup year.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I think Bombito needs to go immediately, especially when it's hot. At 25, those European chances don't come often at big clubs. 

I hope the Rapids except an offer, get Lyon to include a sell-on clause to make this move happen.

As for David, I think he does exactly what Davies will end up doing. They will run down their contracts, and pick their new clubs in summer of 25'.

However, IMO I think it would be best for all our key guys to get moves this year, so they aren't adjusting to their new clubs in a World Cup year.

If you need an entire year to adjust to a transfer, something else has gone wrong.

Bombito needs to play more.  His weaknesses improve with decent level reps.

Lyon has 6 senior centre backs on their books. Not sure that's happening there or that is even what the rumours were in the first place.

January is plenty soon enough.  Good clubs don't have the twitchy tournament memories of some football fans.  At least in the area of scouting we are in.

JRR to Celtic is the latest transfer possibility. It's reported that Celtic have had multiple bids rejected so far. Hopefully they strike a deal with the Crew, as getting JRR into Celtic would be excellent, even if he has to wait in the wings for some real minutes. 

As for the other possibilities, Cornelius to Marsielle is being hammered out, with personal terms being reportedly close to being agreed. The fee would be 3.5M euros to pry him from Malmo. 

There is no recent news I can find on the Bombito to Lyon transfer. As of two weeks ago it was reported that a deal was being worked on. The transfer fee is the sticking point. This initially seemed like a slam dunk, but the lack of news around it is a little worrying. I am not sure this move gets completed. 

As for Jonathan David, it seems like a potential Spurs move is picking up momentum, with it being reported as of two days ago that Tottenham have opened up "fresh talks" to sign David. This follows news from last week that a deal to West Ham collapsed. Atletico and Roma links haven't gone away either. 

Jacob Shaffleburg is of interest to Club America, but nothing more concrete has emerged since those links surfaced. Personally, I see him remaining at Nashville, who recently lost Tyler Boyd to an ACL injury, but it could be an interesting move. Perhaps Club America look at how Chivas brought in Cade Cowell and see Shaffleburg having a similar impact.

Finally, we have Liam Millar being sought after by Hull City, who would spend 2-3M pounds to bring him in. Considering how many clubs he's been linked with in the Championship, it's hard to say with certainty where his destination will be. All we know is it won't be Basel. 

With the news of Cornelius off to Marseille, I realy feel it will be an opportunity lost if Shaff doesn't move.

The only way he'll get the goodwill like he has/had is if he waits two years and does it again in the WC.

Are the odds of that happening bette?.  I don't think they are, I hope he can still strike (pardon the expression) while the iron is still hot.

Check Derek off the list. Today our backline got a little bit more respectable.

Of course, he's the same player today as he was yesterday, and he'll be in tough to earn minutes at this level of club. 

BUT....I think now is the perfect time for this move...because the 25-26 season is the one that's vital....leading into the world cup. If all goes well, OM will win the league, or at least finish in the European spots, giving Derek even more chances the following season for game time. I am alright with this being his "adjustment" season. And who knows, maybe he'll surprise us and earn more minutes than expected.

I think he's projected to be the back up LCB, no?

On 7/31/2024 at 12:53 AM, Obinna said:

I doubt all of these moves will happen, but this would be our team if they did.

Easily the most stacked Canadian team ever on paper....

image.png.a455ff54911a1f632fef6d398f09ef4b.png

Here is something interesting
At the Copa, the USA had 14 players from top-5 leagues

Canada currently has 7. I don't count Luc de Fougerolles who isn't playing, but it could be 8 if he plays. Also, we have Bombito left to move and a few others.

Mexico had 1 player from a top-5 league. Granted, the Liga MX is probably on par with leagues like the Netherlands, Portugual.

I remember when Davies first played in MLS and thought, "Wow we might have a top tier player"

Now I think, "Wow, we are catching up to the USA in depth" Life comes at you fast!

The biggest change for Canada now is playing for Canada can help your career. If you play well in a Canadian shirt, European teams are scouting you.

2 hours ago, finchster said:

Mexico had 1 player from a top-5 league. Granted, the Liga MX is probably on par with leagues like the Netherlands, Portugual.

The biggest change for Canada now is playing for Canada can help your career. If you play well in a Canadian shirt, European teams are scouting you.

Herc Gomez had some very interesting things to say about the first sentence.  IIRC he thinks that is what's killing Mexico internationally.  The players are too well paid at home so they don't want to leave and challenge themselves abroad and it's hurting both the player and the NT

As for the second sentence I think it has always been true but it has a higher profile now because of the profile of the teams doing the signing.

Correct my memory if I am wrong on this one.  There was a tournament in 2004 (seemed about a hundred years ago) called IPSS (International Pacific Soccer Series) where a Canada "B" team played against Millwall and Hearts.  The exposure Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux got lead them to being signed by Millwall. 

Also, I recall posting then about how most European publications would always use the title "Canadian international" before the player's name.  That had to help with exposure and raising the profile no matter how good or bad we were.

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Herc Gomez had some very interesting things to say about the first sentence.  IIRC he thinks that is what's killing Mexico internationally.  The players are too well paid at home so they don't want to leave and challenge themselves abroad and it's hurting both the player and the NT

As for the second sentence I think it has always been true but it has a higher profile now because of the profile of the teams doing the signing.

Correct my memory if I am wrong on this one.  There was a tournament in 2004 (seemed about a hundred years ago) called IPSS (International Pacific Soccer Series) where a Canada "B" team played against Millwall and Hearts.  The exposure Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux got lead them to being signed by Millwall. 

Also, I recall posting then about how most European publications would always use the title "Canadian international" before the player's name.  That had to help with exposure and raising the profile no matter how good or bad we were.

I still remember those friendlies the Canada B team played. I was so thrilled for Josh and Adrian. 

An update on the Bombito transfer situation:

https://burgundywave.com/2024/08/01/moise-bombito-transfer-talks-lyon-salzburg/

• Talks between Colorado and Lyon appear to be ongoing.
  • It’s understood there has been a bid for at least $5.5 million that was rejected.
  • TSN has reported that Red Bull Salzburg are interested in the player.  
  • The organization has a valuation on the player and if that is not met this summer, they will not sell. 
  • They believe Bombito will reach a level where European clubs will be willing to meet demands in a year to 18 months.
  • Burgundy Wave suspects that valuation could be $10-12 million.

So, nothing has really changed. Lyon haven't meet the valuation, but talks appear to be ongoing. Not sure how much of that is the author's conjecture, but it's a logical assumption because we haven't heard news that Lyon have moved on. 

It will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think Lyon want to be fleeced. Colorado don't need to sell this summer, but Lyon probably don't need to buy him this summer either, considering he was earmarked for a Botafogo loan. Also, I can't see RB Salzburg paying more than the $5.5 million that was rejected. 

What worries me is that Bombito's stock won't go much higher playing for Colorado, I am afraid. Copa America is here and gone. The MLS game is here and gone. Short of Colorado making a deep playoff run (possible), there is nothing between now and next summer's Gold Cup to re-ignite interest from Europe.

He'll be more experienced come next summer, but teams won't necessarily pay more for a player 1 year older. If Colorado and Lyon can settle for around $6.5-7M, perhaps a deal can be done.