Copa America Canada Player Transfer Predictions?

I'm going to take selected players from the Copa lineup who have even a hint or chance of transfer and list them (some with possibilities/probabilities)

What are your predictions?

1 – Dayne St. Clair |  ?
2 – Alistair Johnston |  ?
4 – Kamal Miller |  ?
8 – Ismaël Koné | Marseille
9 – Cyle Larin |  ?
10 – Jonathan David | EPL, Serie A
11 – Theo Bair | Auxerre
12 – Jacen Russell-Rowe | ?
13 – Derek Cornelius | Marseille
14 – Jacob Shaffelburg | Belgium, Holland, Spain 2, Lyon
15 – Moïse Bombito | Nice
16 – Maxime Crépeau | ?
19 – Alphonso Davies | Real Madrid
23 – Liam Millar | Hull City
24 – Mathieu Choinière | ?
25 – Tani Oluwaseyi | ?
26 – Ali Ahmed | ?

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

I believe Craig Forrest said teams would be looking at Crepeau.  Some of the factors would be does he want to be a number 2 in a top league and make much more than he does now.  Also the factor that has probably kept him out of Europe is that he is 5'11"

Some big Copa visibility could help him.

Also has Ali Ahmed fallen off the Euro radar or is there still interest in him.

12 hours ago, masster said:

You didn't include Eustaquio on your list...but if he has lost his starting spot at Porto, he may want to find a new home. He will have a new coach to impress during preseason camp. Being a late arrival after a belated holiday post Copa won't help.

Eustaquio if he leaves Porto, he'll probably stay in the Portuguese Super Liga but will probably go to Sporting Lisbon or Benfica.

12 hours ago, masster said:

You didn't include Eustaquio on your list...but if he has lost his starting spot at Porto, he may want to find a new home. He will have a new coach to impress during preseason camp. Being a late arrival after a belated holiday post Copa won't help.

Has to go imo...even if only to a similarly competitive club in a similar tier elsewhere in Europe. No need to have another guy step up a tier and not play, imo.

So after two games, I think a few guys have reinforced their potential value to suitors.  Starting from the back:

• Max - was an absolute rock star last night.  Anyone wondering about him need wonder no more.  He is a big time player.
  • Bombito - He may still need a bit of refinement but he has all the tools.  He was strong in the air for us last night and his ridiculous recovery speed showed its value.  I also thought he was positionally better last night and despite one poor foul where he basically just barged a guy down in a dangerous position (in a game where that could have been really bad) he has been fairly strong overall.   
  • Staq - has looked solid but not spectacular.  I don't think clubs expect him to be a game-breaker though and it was valuable to once again show that he can consistently play well at this level.
  • Shafft - Has pretty much changed the complexion of the game when he has come on.  Obviously it didn't turn the tide against the best team in the world, and his performance last night was helped by the conditions (running at 10 men, Peru needing to push for a goal, Davies often drawing double coverage) but he was still visibly and consistently impacting the game when he stepped on the pitch.  Again, in the context of the sorts of clubs he is likely to move to, I think this has been a positive tournament for him.     
  • David - he has always worked hard off the ball and that has been on display this tournament but last night he added a key finish in a crucial game.  Nothing he hasn't done before but doing it on this stage is further confirmation to big teams that he can perform in big moments.

Some guys I would say haven't advertised themselves a ton, but also haven't hurt their chances:  

• Cornelius - I am on the fence about where to put him.  TBH, I am not sure why he got subbed out last night.  He seemed to be playing fine - at least to me.  But getting subbed out may denote some issue I missed (that others wouldn't).
  • Liam - I though he had a solid first game but wasn't as effective last night on the right.  Doesn't help that he has been moved around positionally.  I still think the sort of clubs he is being linked with will see him as a good option and won't be deterred by the fact that he hasn't excelled against opposition of this quality (under these conditions).
  • Davies - given the level he plays at, it seems weird to include him here but I think it is status quo with Davies.  Massive clubs were already interested so it would have taken a gamebreaking effort to increase that interest.  He has been steady, made a few mistakes, but also played a big role in the win last night (as should be expected of a player of his calibre).  
  • Tani - Yes it was against 10 tired players (when they had to push forward for a goal), and yes he missed chances he could have buried, but he looked dangerous from the moment he stepped on the field.  I think others will see the potential in this guy in the same way Marsch has.  Could have even been an honourable mention in the top category.  

Guys I think have probably made people cautious about a potential move:

• Kone: Feel bad for putting him here but you can't ignore the fact that it is 2 weak games in a row.  Gave away what seemed like a disproportionate number of unforced turnovers and seemed slow to move the ball way too often.  I love this player but he needs to sort out the consistency issue if he wants to play at a higher level. 

There are others who aren't really being shopped around for a transfer or haven't been the subject of much speculation (Johnston, Tajon, Larin, Richie, Oso) and guys who haven't  played enough to impact people's views (JRR, Miller). 

Overall, a 1-1 record against this calibre of opposition probably hasn't done our guys any harm.  The ratings are impacted by the fact that a lot of our guys are still playing at relatively modest levels so justifying a move out of MLS (for example) doesn't take a string of world-beating performances - you just need to show that you can perform at a higher tier than where you are currently.  Throw in the fact that a lot of our guys are younger and thus still have "potential" upside, and it is even easier to justify a transfer.  And a result against Chile that would see us advance into the knockout stages would further reinforce the value that some of these guys could bring.       

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So after two games, I think a few guys have reinforced their potential value to suitors.  Starting from the back:

• Max - was an absolute rock star last night.  Anyone wondering about him need wonder no more.  He is a big time player.  

His size is always going to be knock against him in top leagues these days.  Maybe he could do an Ochoa - same height I believe -, who played lights out on the world stage a few times and got some chances in Spain, France and Italy.  But never with great teams if remember correctly. 

Portland not helping him and the scouting at higher levels goes well beyond tournaments.  

On 6/24/2024 at 9:39 PM, masster said:

I've heard they're looking to sell Grujic, and there's interest in Varela as well so a spot could definitely be there for the taking. Hoping he gets a a more prominent role next season, especially given Porto's financial struggles.

Some tidbits and thoughts:

Kone - Marselle

• All but confirmed, leaving Watford for 17M

Bombito - Lyon

• Linked to Lyon and supporting internet rumour claiming a family member said deal was done for 5M

Millar - Leeds

• We know he's almost 100% certain to play elsewhere next season, very likely in the EPL or the Championship
  • Multiple clubs linked, but I will go with the most recent rumour I have seen. Could also be Burnley or Sheffield United.

Cornelius - FC Copenhagen

• I've said before that Feyenoord would be my preference, but Copenhagen is the most recently rumoured. It would be a smaller and arguably a safer step up.

David - Chelsea

• Has been linked to many clubs, but supposedly his future will be decided after Copa.
  • My gut says Chelsea. I think his eyes are on the Prem. 
  • The blues are the biggest club linked to him recently, aside from Man U, but they seem to have a young core. Maybe that tips the scales in their favour. 

Davies - Real Madrid

• I feel this won't get done until he leaves on a free, but it's one to watch.
  • Everyone knows the story, not much else to add. 

Shaffleburg - Twente

• The rumours have now begun, but all we know is that Sporting Gijon and a bunch of teams from Netherlands and Belgium are interested.
  • I am picking Twente at random here, just for their stature. They are one of the best outside the top 3 in the Eredivisie.
  • FC Twente also finished 3rd last year, so maybe they need re-inforcements to help with a potential Europa Conference League campaign.

Crepeau - ?

• Hard to speculate on a specific club. I am not convinced he leaves Portland.
  • That said, if he contines to impress and Canada get into the QF and beyond, with Crepeau leading the way, there could be some real interest. From what league in Europe is anyones guess.
  • I could see a big Latin American club trying to sign him, someone like Club America for instance. 
Edited by Obinna

Forgot Bair to St. Pauli. Could also be Sunderland. I am split on which would be better. St. Pauli would be more interesting and fun, given they are a bit of an underground hipster sort of club, now back on the big Bundesliga stage.

Sunderland would possibly give him the biggest chance of success, as he'd remain in the UK and wouldn't have to move far considering how far up north Sunderland is. Culturally that would be the easier move, so based on that I would go Sunderland, but damn Theo in the Bundesliga with St. Pauli would be super cool. 

Maybe it's just me, and probably is, but I don't see much cachet in being in the Championship.  Money is money and generally by being a professional the idea is to get more money but I would rather they play elsewhere.

Countering that, the Old Firm has the cachet but play in a less desirable league.

To translate those ramblings, I want to see our guys in Big Four/Portugal/France

40 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Maybe it's just me, and probably is, but I don't see much cachet in being in the Championship.  Money is money and generally by being a professional the idea is to get more money but I would rather they play elsewhere.

Countering that, the Old Firm has the cachet but play in a less desirable league.

To translate those ramblings, I want to see our guys in Big Four/Portugal/France

If the choice is Bundesliga or Championship, you go Bundesliga for the generally good competition.

That said, depends on the club but some of the Championship clubs are richer, ie. have better facilities, fitness regimes etc. than the lower end top flight clubs in those league, especially Portugal.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

scratching chappelles show GIF

Got any more of dem .......transfer rumours?

I can reliably tell you that if an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters were given infinite time, they wouldn't run out of ways to say that Spurs, Chelsea, Manchester United, and West Ham are interested in Jonathan David and his price will be between 20 million GBP and 30 milllion Euros. 

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I can reliably tell you that if an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters were given infinite time, they wouldn't run out of ways to say that Spurs, Chelsea, Manchester United, and West Ham are interested in Jonathan David and his price will be between 20 million GBP and 30 milllion Euros. 

Honestly, the David rumours are the ones that don’t even register with me any more.  After 3 summers of speculation and “where there’s smoke there’s fire” rumours, it just becomes pointless white noise.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, the David rumours are the ones that don’t even register with me any more.  After 3 summers of speculation and “where there’s smoke there’s fire” rumours, it just becomes pointless white noise.  

I agree but he's not going the stay there.  The chairman (?) has said: someone come get him, please...please? 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

scratching chappelles show GIF

Got any more of dem .......transfer rumours?

Theo Bair getting offers was mentioned in this other thread, but this article has the coach saying that they’ve received two concrete offers, both from outside of Scotland and both from top 5 league clubs which sounds like… pretty significant news:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/13025536/motherwell-transfer-rangers-celtic-linked-theo-bair/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=ScottishSunSportTwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1719524165-2