Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

Just some thoughts from what I saw with this match.  
We rely heavily on our physicality and speed to challenge opponents. The heat took that away from us and you saw that after the first 20 minutes.  Also, our players are not generally as technically good as others.  When faced with extreme heat and such conditions, those where their technique is not as drilled into them as much as others start to break down and make simple mistakes.  You saw that with Canada once that started to happen with give aways, losing the ball, etc. Peru players are better technically so you didn’t see that as much.

The other thing is Peru has vast experience playing far superior sides like Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Colombia.  To survive in that they needed to develop a strong all round team defense with a real bite to them to put off better teams. I was very impressed with how they pressed us, closed down the passing lanes, kept tight to our players when they got the ball and after the first 20 minutes, just dominated us by taking the ball away from us or forcing a bad pass (all of which was helped greatly by the aforementioned heat). This was the case until the sending off tbh. We need more competitions like this, the World Cup and the friendlies we just had against top sides to learn that side of the game to combined with our strengths already mentioned. 

That being said, the fact we got through this with a win in such adverse conditions is a big lift for the team and the program.  I do worry about Orlando as that will be hot and more humid albeit it will be at night. It somewhat nullifies our strengths

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

He was invisible.  I agree.  But Kone couldn't complete a pass

Some bad giveaways vs Argentina, but gotta keep it real, only 4 Canadians had a higher percentage of completed passes (Stache, Cornelius, Bombito and Johnston).

So, I'm not sure what we do against Chile, but swapping out Kone has to be on the table.  Our first half was brutal and part of that was due to his numerous give aways and slow play.  Caldwell was bang on when he said he needs to take one touch and then pass the ball away.  He holds it too long and then gets closed down, leading to the turnover.

The risk is that at some point he coughs up the ball with half the team moving in the wrong direction and we get caught on the counter.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what burned us against Jamaica in Nations league, though Kone wasn't the only culprit that night.

But who do we replace him with?  Osorio may not have the legs of Kone but he is smarter.  We need a time machine and we grab Hutchinson or DeGuzman from 10-15 years ago.

Edited by AvroArrow

26 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Mexico is dominant in our region.  What's their World Cup record like?  What's Colombia's record like at the WC?  I'm not saying either team is bad.

When New Zealand wins the OFC, I don't ever think they won a "big tournament" either.

Before this last World Cup, hadn’t Mexico made the round of 16 every tournament for like 24 years (or something along those lines)? 

Are you seriously comparing the OFC regional tournament with the Gold cup 2000 which had Peru, Colombia, Mexico, USA and South Korea at it? That could basically be a COPA America group right now. 

You are entitled to your opinion but pretty much every tournament that Canada is in is a “big tournament” to me. Some bigger than others, sure, but World Cups, COPAs, and some Gold Cups are definitely “big” to me. 

Edited by maccaliam

4 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

So, I'm not sure what we do against Chile, but swapping out Kone has to be on the table.  Our first half was brutal and part of that was due to his numerous give aways and slow play.  Caldwell was bang on when he said he needs to take one touch and then pass the ball away.  He holds it too long and then gets closed down, leading to the turnover.

The risk is that at some point he coughs up the ball with half the team moving in the wrong direction and we get caught on the counter.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what burned us against Jamaica in Nations league, though Kone wasn't the only culprit that night.

But who do we replace him with?  Osorio may not have the legs of Kone but he is smarter.  We need a time machine and we grab Hutchinson or DeGuzman from 10-15 years ago.

You're spot on but unfortunately we need to play Kone if we want him to get better against these types of opponents.  

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

You're spot on but unfortunately we need to play Kone if we want him to get better against these types of opponents.  

Yeah I don’t think Osorio has the legs to do a 60-90 minute match at this level in this heat. 
We need to find a way to get Koné to step his game up. 

Edited by maccaliam

58 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

You are right, I only said I would be more comfortable if Argentina wins - because if they draw, that will mean Chile still has a chance to win it, right up until the final whistle! After the Arg-Chi game is done, then yes, a draw is better.

The only thing that scares me is if Peru manages a 1-0 win over a disinterested Argentina, and we tie … then we are out on GD.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Not a great performance but an exceptional win with all things considering.  We have a new coach that has been forced to learn about his new players in a couple weeks and against literally the world’s best teams....  

Eustaquio - I thought he was immense again for us.  He did nothing too spectacular but what an engine he has.  Had some crucial breakups and blocks.  He hasn’t had a lot of help from Kone these past two games either.  What a leader he is as well.  He doesn’t need a captains title to be a leader out there.

Eustaquio - Better from him today but still looking for more from him.

Great post and I pretty much 100% agreed with all of it, apart from the mixed messages on Eustaquio. 

Edited by GasPed

20 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Koné should be replace could be Piette for Chile or Waterman as holding mid 

7 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Finally an ugly win in an important game... I love it!!...We'll be better next game...Let's go!!!!!

No chance they're will be some matches for Garnacho Carboni 

32 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

From what I saw from Chile's central midfield's work in closing guys down during that second half today, this is a big problem.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Exactly. You don’t want to overlap with the Argentina match, put that one at 7pm and move this one to the west coast (Seattle?) for a later start.

This !!

Americans are Buffons at organising football tournaments 

It is not that hard moreso with the US RESOURCES 

4 hours ago, Cadeau said:

Gotta give it to him hes tough in the heat, even though hes dressed like he should sell used appliances lol

Come on down to Pedro's new and used appliances.

We got fridges, we got ovens, we got fridges.

Pedro's, next to the Alto sign on Calle Principal, East Lima.

Tell 'em the Chicken Man sent you, and get 10% off.

17 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

This !!

Americans are Buffons at organising football tournaments 

It is not that hard moreso with the US RESOURCES 

Yet some how because of political and financial reasons they get to host major tournaments , year after year with little to no opposition 

3 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Expecting us to actually be in the game and play nice football. If not for that red card we lose this game comfortably. Like I’m appalled. This is not really a win to celebrate.

Do you know how hot it was out there?  No.  I was there and we all suffered, the players and the fans (and an assistant referee).  We gutted out a win and that’s impressive to me.  If you want nice football, you may want to consider gaming.

m glad we got the win , this will be a great for our program , and a massive confidence boost too. It was far from pretty and the conditions were appaling see that linesman collapse give me immages of Christian Erickson from the last Euros. Time to concentrate on Chile