Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Have to like Tani getting into positions to really put the game away.  Unfortunate nothing came of it, but really promising.

Such a smart move reading the player and catching him on the inside for the takeaway. Huge play. 

Edit: Unpopular opinion, but he is ready to start in place of Larin for me. He is that good. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

As time goes on, this win might loom large in our consciousness.

And it deserves a bit of a place there, where Canada locked down a win they should have locked down, purely on the man advantage and relatively equal ability.

I hope it looms large, as a blooming of the player's confidence, and on-field-play.  And ability to fight through the tough times, and dive when diving is required!!  A true world-class-skill, as important as any!  Looking at you Mr. Johnston, yeah, you're a tough Scotsman, but not always when you're playing footie, then you have to alternate between being a thug and a little girl.  It's clearly a footie skill.

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Such a smart move reading the player and catching him on the inside for the takeaway. Huge play. 

Edit: Unpopular opinion, but he is ready to start in place of Larin for me. He is that good. 

I don't agree with replacing Larin.  Without him winning the ball, we don't score.  He does so much more than putting the ball in the net.

Just now, kacbru said:
6 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Expand  

I don't agree with replacing Larin.  Without him winning the ball, we don't score.  He does so much more than putting the ball in the net.

I know. That's why it's an unpopular opinion. But hey, to each his own. 

I sometimes wonder about certain footballing cultures, how everything is angst and deception and intimidation and theatrics and frowns and handbags. How can you play with any sort of joy when that is your mindset? Does nobody simply want to be an athlete and not a rodeo clown, a politician, and a street urchin all at the same time?  Does self-respect exist as a concept? There are advantages to be gained by this attitude, but I feel like so much more is lost.

14 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I was watching FS1 for the first half and usually their commentators and PBP are pretty good.  The Spanish PBP guy today was amateur hour, he didn't know queen poop about the Canadian team.

Truth be told, they are not far off in the Canada assessment that you wrote but I still think we are a better team, but were not very good today

Well.  If he didn't know "queen poop", then it's absolutely hard to take him seriously!

🙂

19 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I was watching FS1 for the first half and usually their commentators and PBP are pretty good.  The Spanish PBP guy today was amateur hour, he didn't know queen poop about the Canadian team.

Truth be told, they are not far off in the Canada assessment that you wrote but I still think we are a better team, but were not very good today

silly double post.

And this is a day the Forum should absolutely go silly...enjoy the randomness of international soccer results!  Lord knows they're few and far between for this squad!

Edited by eramosat

Canada did what my man Roy Keane would say they did their job...winning the game now that's their job...Canada did that job by beating Peru 1-0...finally we beat a South American team for the first time in 24 years since Gold Cup 2000 when we beat Colombia 🇨🇴 to win our 1st and only Gold Cup and we do the job 24 years later in beating another CONMEBOL side

18 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Mad Max Reaction GIF

We'll enter top fifty. Maybe 48? Below is updated daily:

https://football-ranking.com/fifa-rankings

In ELO we're up to 33 and now tied with Peru. 

Looking at that, and much appreciated, our win gives us just over 19 points and that jumps us up to 43rd, or maybe just 44th. The teams ahead of us are just ahead. 

25 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yes. The lad just needs time and more good coaching. A move to Lyon could be massive. He's a project; I'm patient.

Underrated factor for Bombito - he played those two high-stakes games in a row without picking up a yellow or conceding a pen. Hasn't been perfect, especially against Argentina, but on the current evidence, he is definitely worth being patient with. A couple of times in the game today where you could see the difference his pace made as well.

26 minutes ago, eramosat said:

That was a lightning strike, that Canada barely avoided.  None of the players should, I hope, take it as as too much of a positive.   Beyond the pure result.

Shaff might be the exception...his maniac outside wing play, and his game-winning assist?  Well,  who am I to say that's not repeatable...he's already done it many times for the NT, so I'll go with it.

Hope all our Voyageurs are doing well.

Also.  Crepeau.  Fuck him and his broken leg screwing up our 2022 WC!  So happy to see him back at the same level before when he took a break!   Man...that's some useful play, to put it mildly...man is an utter beast!!

Don't forget Staq. He played a great game tonight with a lot of poor performances around him. Never stopped running or making plays and clogging up lanes. No way we get that result without him out there. 

1 minute ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Underrated factor for Bombito - he played those two high-stakes games in a row without picking up a yellow or conceding a pen. Hasn't been perfect, especially against Argentina, but on the current evidence, he is definitely worth being patient with. A couple of times in the game today where you could see the difference his pace made as well.

Also agree he was better tonight, but what I disagreed with was losing Cornelius for Miller, bad sub decision.

16 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Yeah. I did the first half as well. And he at one point said that David had a really rough season at Lille this year and was out of form this season (I guess second in the league I scoring is a bad season); and he said Crepeau was the keeper for CF Montreal. 

The thing that got me was the whole Max leg breaking story.  It was the championship game and he didn't know it.  Usually their crews are pretty good and I usually watch them because I don't really want the home perspective.  I like hearing complements from others not the bias of the home guys.  It also pisses me off that we can't have a guy who doesn't have a foreign accent in the booth.  And people can call me xenophobic, I don't care, especially against two white guys :)

1 minute ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Don't forget Staq. He played a great game tonight with a lot of poor performances around him. Never stopped running or making plays and clogging up lanes. No way we get that result without him out there. 

Staq's quality in every match is the closest thing to a given Canada has.  Without him, no results are possible...

So yes, I did not name him, but it can be assumed.  He is the indispensable player, and MoM candidate every game.