Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Argentina 🇦🇷 beats Chile 🇨🇱 1-0 and now it is up to us to get a result against Chile 🇨🇱...either get a win or a draw but if we really go for the win and get 6 points then it at least solidifies our position no matter what. But a draw like they said will probably be enough on 4 points.

But Chile like Peru are also an aging side and also like Peru are going to be physical and defensively compact. Notice how it took Argentina all of 88 minutes to finally get something from that game. My point being that Chile are not going to be as easy as we think.

Chile also had a nice sequence around m. 75 where Echevarria had two nice shots coming up the middle from the DM position, both well saved. Then they had another one in there. So in the highlight reel the chances were not so imbalanced, they got chances out of a few counters, though the play was Argentina's. 

Alexis Sánchez has been ineffective in attack. On the other hand Claudio Bravo is still a beast, great keeper. Mind you, Larin scored against Bravo in La Liga last year with Valladolid.

26 minutes ago, PastPros said:

I haven't been able to watch the full game (yet) - but were there really no water breaks? And they didn't water the pitch before the game or at half?

If so, that's insane.

They did a break about m. 28, but it seems there had been none planned beforehand. 

I don't recall what happened 2nd half. The card on Shaff was like a break.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I open the occasional blocked post.  I even unblocked BBTB/OTP since he seems to now occasionally post things that aren't pure toxin. But there are a few I have decided not to waste my time/effort on. 

I block Javier but then check up on him regularly, like a relative you have signing power over to be institutionalised, but you still visit every so often.

I was even with a guy I block in the stands in Bordeaux, and the pregame, and he didn't even realize it. This is cool and highly recommended, meeting a guy you figure out is one of those you friggin can't stand on the board and being buddies for a couple hours in a stadium. 

If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

Romans 12:18

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I block Javier but then check up on him regularly, like a relative you have signing power over to be institutionalised, but you still visit every so often.

I was even with a guy I block in the stands in Bordeaux, and the pregame, and he didn't even realize it. This is cool and highly recommended, meeting a guy you figure out is one of those you friggin can't stand on the board and being buddies for a couple hours in a stadium. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, Miche said:

LOL at all you whinging. We just won at the Copa. Fucking enjoy it

Some people just can't seem to enjoy the moment.  It's like watching your kid score a couple of goals in house league and all you can talk about on the trip home is the the open net they missed. 

I think Peru dominated most of the game and it was looking more like they were about to score the first goal, at least in the first half . After the red card was a totally different game. I think shaffelburg should be a started, totally underrated player, he is a beast up front. I remember when played against inter miami and totally destroy them on both games . I think he is the type of player conmebol teams hate to play against

Chile is a little better than Peru so Canada needs to step up for this game. Gareca is a smart coach 

22 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Long ago, I posted that Canada could very well lose all five of the first games and for people not to lose their shizzle because it will be ok.

As I also said, we still don't know if we have the Holland vs Canada team or the France vs Canada team.  This game should foretell our trajectory because if we don't do well it's highly unlikely we will against Chile.  But I am hopeful in thinking that so far we have achieved realistic if not decent results.

We have potential, no doubt, but potential and five bucks will get you a Tims (I don't know the price I don't touch the stuff).  I like that this usually seems to be a resilient team and things like being in front of hostile crowds doesn't seem to bother them (Tajon fingers in ears)

Get a lead, try and sub the yellow cards out, and put Richmond in.

Well, we haven't lost all five games (1W 1D 2L) 4 of 12 possible points so far.

And I still don't think we know which team will come out against Chile.  I believe Shaff provided as sincere an explanation for the play under the weather conditions that we should consider.

Again, hostile crowds don't seem to bother them and they did "Get a lead, try and sub the yellow cards out, and put Richmond in." but not in that order. :)

29 minutes ago, rick10 said:

I think Peru dominated most of the game and it was looking more like they were about to score the first goal, at least in the first half . After the red card was a totally different game. I think shaffelburg should be a started, totally underrated player, he is a beast up front. I remember when played against inter miami and totally destroy them on both games . I think he is the type of player conmebol teams hate to play against

Chile is a little better than Peru so Canada needs to step up for this game. Gareca is a smart coach 

...and talk about "streetwise" Gareca was once a car bomb target of Pablo Escobar. I don't think much will phase him.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Oh I realized it lol - I just looked for the most unhinged person and it was easy. Although that did come in handy with the Bordeaux security so cheers to you. 

I just watched the first half. It wasn't great but not disaster level like some people suggested. I wouldn't say the whole team sucked, it was really half the team. Peru was poor as well.

The heat obviously played a role (especially after 20mins) - and impacted a couple players more than others who were hanging on for dear life. The pressing gassed them, there is no doubt. By the 25th minute, it was like we were playing with 7 outfield players. 

Koné really never got going, so I don't think heat was his issue. Even in the first 5mins, he looked slower than everyone (in movement and thought).

FWIY - There were 2 water breaks and both desperately needed. One triggered by Crépeau going down (à la Borjan) before a Peru corner.

Edited by PastPros

I didn't sort through the 20 some pages since my last post, but does anyone think our left wing being in complete shade in the second half contributed to Shaffelburg's performance? Our right side was totally ineffectual, but Shaffelgod was bombing up and down for 45 miuntes. I was going to be critical of our right sided players but when I realized this, I actually wondered if it was a large part of the explanation. Still a great performance from Shaffeldawg, yes he may be one dimensional but that doesn't mean you are bad -- as long as you have a manager who knows how to utilize that. On the same note, I thought Marsch's substitutions were perfect.

4 hours ago, phil03 said:

I said the same thing elsewhere but we have to stop seeing our opponents being two feet taler then they are just because they are in Conmebol. Getting semi-regular beating at Argentina, Uruguay these days and Brazil in the past does not make our opponents automatically better.

No one's kissing the ring here.  But I still respect this opponent and we need to keep our heads in the game with decision making and play execution for the 90+ minutes to earn the result we need.  We have a couple of starters who aren't "on key" at the moment but I really like our in-form goalkeeping.

31 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I didn't sort through the 20 some pages since my last post, but does anyone think our left wing being in complete shade in the second half contributed to Shaffelburg's performance? Our right side was totally ineffectual, but Shaffelgod was bombing up and down for 45 miuntes. I was going to be critical of our right sided players but when I realized this, I actually wondered if it was a large part of the explanation. Still a great performance from Shaffeldawg, yes he may be one dimensional but that doesn't mean you are bad -- as long as you have a manager who knows how to utilize that. On the same note, I thought Marsch's substitutions were perfect.

Shaff said as much.

Now that I have had a sleep, I can share my sober second thoughts. Very happy with the 3 points but the performance was not good. Despite what one poster said, this is not a good Peruvian side. We were clearly second best before the red card. I am not sold at all on Marsch after these first five matches. One positive from him is that he made fantastic substitutions today and looks open to adaptation, but his overall set up and strategy is naive. Some may point to Austria under Rangnick to show what is possible with years of process, but honestly if you look at their player pool they are probably straight up better than Poland and close to Netherlands anyway.

Lots of poor individual performances, some really good ones. Eustaquio remains our most important player, without him there is zero chance we can play a two-man midfield (we can barely play that with him). Kone needs to get his head out of his ass, frankly. Some people are speculating that his transfer is affecting him mentally. Maybe, meanwhile his midfield partner has a different parent dying each tournament and is still performing. I'm not trying to be crass, but this is the highest level, we need to expect a lot. Imagine this type of performance from Kone in 2026? I really hope he can fix whatever issue to unlock his consistency, maybe moving to Marseille and learning under De Zerbi in a very professional environment will do that. I remain extremely optimistic with him but again, we need to be honest when we play matches where everything is on the line.

Larin had one good moment all match, luckily for us it led to the goal. He was very poor the rest of the match. Millar, Buchanan, Laryea, and Davies were very ineffectual in attack -- certainly no one was helping anyone else perform. David was decent but he needed help. If you look at the goal, it comes from a throw in (incorrectly given by the referee, interestingly) that Peru naively sent too many men forward on.

I realize the above sounds really harsh on Marsch and the players, so here are my positives. As I mentioned, the subs were great. They're maybe obvious to people outside the match, but Marsch has been trying to develop an XI in his limited time and he chopped and changed at half in his first match where he is expected to get a result. So I will give him lots of credit even though taking off Millar and Kone were "easy" decisions.

Osorio was decent, in particular he singlehandedly stopped a counter with a clean tackle after mirroring a man running through midfield with pace, that was a beautiful defensive sequence to watch. Shaffelburg was the biggest Canadian reason for the win (obviously the red card was the biggest decider in general). His willingness to run and attack is a total weapon, and loosing him in the 2nd half on the shady side really worked in this specific scenario. The goal on the counter was fantastic. Eustaquio was great once again (aside from one minute in particular), covering so much space. His reaction to the red card offence was also what you need, I think he learned from the headbutt incident that you have to make a pageant of these things.

Incidentally, aside from missing the headbutt (which blame I would place on VAR mostly), I thought the referee was really good. Right away he settled down the first couple fouls using his whistle and body language (which were both committed by Peru) and he allowed Canada their first few challenges even though they were physical. Clearly, he was not swayed by the pre-game histrionics.

A few observations from the game. Experience can still trump higher talent. Our players, with the exception of David, are still a bit naïve, given that most have played vs Honduras, ES & CR. AJ should have gone down immediately, clutched his head and thrashed his legs while rolling over for 2 mins. It was clear from the slow motion replay that AJ's head shook a bit on the headbutt. Btw I didnt know he speaks Spanish. We still don't use body positioning to maintain possession and win fouls when necessary. We struggled to keep possession after going up a goal and we had a lot of space with the man advantage to make it happen. Appears the extreme heat affected us more than Peru and may explain our underperformance. Bless Max, David & Shaff who saved our butts. Having said all that we got the win and good teams win even when they don't play well. Onwards and upwards

10 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Now that I have had a sleep, I can share my sober second thoughts. Very happy with the 3 points but the performance was not good. Despite what one poster said, this is not a good Peruvian side. We were clearly second best before the red card. I am not sold at all on Marsch after these first five matches. One positive from him is that he made fantastic substitutions today and looks open to adaptation, but his overall set up and strategy is naive. Some may point to Austria under Rangnick to show what is possible with years of process, but honestly if you look at their player pool they are probably straight up better than Poland and close to Netherlands anyway.

Agree with some, disagree with a lot of the whole post but this comes off as especially strange. 

First, 4 (not 5) games for Marsch - 25 for Rangrick.  

Your good players argument is a counter one to your point.  We have good players, especially compared to the teams we face most of the time.  If Rangrick is getting the best out of his and they are winning games against teams they should and shouldn't - your evaluation - we can probably let the process play out to see if we are doing the same even at say 10 games in.   

But Austria is not close to Netherlands in terms of player pool.  Kind of makes the whole point suspect.

(Going by where they normally play) 

Netherlands keepers better top to bottom

Netherlands has 4 better centrebacks before you get to Danso or Linehart

Neither are blessed with a plethoral of leftbacks but Maatsen is far better than anything Austria has and they play Ake there. 

Same at Rb but Geertruida beats Posch.

Sabitzer has played well and Laimer is good but I have seen a lot of Reijnders and Gravenberch, they are better, and Veerman and  Schouten are probably as good.

Gakpo and even Bergwijn are better than or equal to, respectively, Austria's left attacking side.

Austria has attacking midfielders in depth but Simmons is better than anyone there.

Frimpong and Dumfries and Malen blow away anything Austria has on the right.

Strikers -  Zirkzee, Brobbey, Depay even Weghorst in situations are easily better than  Gregoritsch (who played '45 when West Ham beat his team 5-0) and.....Arnautovic.  

And that with De Jong, Koopmeiners, Timber and even Noa Lang injured. 

Sorry not close at all and bad evidence makes for a suspect point.