Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

31 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Do you know how hot it was out there?  No.  I was there and we all suffered, the players and the fans (and an assistant referee).  We gutted out a win and that’s impressive to me.  If you want nice football, you may want to consider gaming.

Using the heat is an excuse. Peru still looked great with a man down. They were constantly chasing everything down while Canada was panicking to make simple plays. Unfortunately, I see a 3-0 loss against Chile. This team has a hell of a lot of work to do. I’m still a little shocked on what I saw today.

Edited by anthony7

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am confused.  

While no statistics is perfect Argentina had 2.72 expected goals against 0.12 for Chile, a difference of 2.60. Against us they had a 3.02 expected goals against 1.16 for us, a difference of 1.86. Add the fact Chile absolutely need a win, and therefore will probably have to play to our strenghts and their weaknesses (as a way older team) by going on the attack and I am cautiously optimistic we get out of our group.

As for Peru, going by the tiebreakers they'd not only need to beat a team that lost two games this freaking decade but also play an offensive match to win by two goals or more, or at least win in an as high-score game as possible... I am rather skeptical they will pull it off. 

4 minutes ago, phil03 said:

While no statistics is perfect Argentina had 2.72 expected goals against 0.12 for Chile, a difference of 2.60. Against us they had a 3.02 expected goals against 1.16 for us, a difference of 1.86. Add the fact Chile absolutely need a win, and therefore will probably have to play to our strenghts and their weaknesses (as a way older team) by going on the attack and I am cautiously optimistic we get out of our group.

I would be very, very cautiously optimistic here.  I thought Chile's central midfield closed guys down well in that second half and I have serious concerns about turnovers causing counterattacks.

17 minutes ago, phil03 said:

As for Peru, going by the tiebreakers they'd not only need to beat a team that lost two games this freaking decade but also play an offensive match to win by two goals or more, or at least win in an as high-score game as possible... I am rather skeptical they will pull it off. 

Wouldn't any win work if we draw, they would be even and we'll be at -1?

Mission accomplished!

The heat certainly didn't help, but neither did switching up the flanks.  We missed Millar and Davies working together.  Laryea/Davies & Millar/Johnston just didn't seem to work well.   

Osorio coming in for Kone was exactly what we needed.  He wasn't flashy, but definitely composed and it paid off.  Kone needs to figure it out.

Miller worries me.  I've always been a huge fan since his rookie year with Orlando, but something just seems off lately.  Had some good moments, but also some pretty shaky looking moments.

Shaff - Geez this guy has come alive.  An absolute terror.

Stache is so good and important.

Cornelius and Bombito keep impressing.  Loving this duo.

Still not convinced about playing Davies up higher, we look so much more solid with him at LB.  At least until we get someone a little more stable at LB.  He needs to stop with the free kicks

Johnston doesn't really instill confidence lately.  He used to look so solid, automatic starter, not soo sure anymore.  Hopefully it's just the heat affecting him.

Overall, Marsch managed this really well.  

Chile is gonna be a really interesting match with a lot at stake. 

Can't say anything about Max that hasn't already been said.  Just amazing.

Edited by costarg

I was watching the 'Game in 25' from TSN on youtube (what else am I going to do, sleep?), and it reminded me that while our goal itself was well taken, the lead-up to our goal was quite comical. Starting at 15:31, you have a truly terrible overhead-kick clearance attempt from Davies, then a Peruvian handball missed by the ref, then a weak clearance by Miller, with so much spin on the ball that the bounce makes him fall over somehow, then Staq clearly bounces it out off a Peruvian player for a Canada throw, but somehow the throw is given to Peru (pause on 16:00 for a great Staq freeze frame reaction), then Davies with a poor headed clearance on the long throw-in, but it goes in the direction of Larin, and the rest is history...

3 hours ago, vancanman said:

Come on down to Pedro's new and used appliances.

We got fridges, we got ovens, we got fridges.

Pedro's, next to the Alto sign on Calle Principal, East Lima.

Tell 'em the Chicken Man sent you, and get 10% off.

Jesse looked like a gym teacher on American Pie, or one of the rival coaches to young Sheldon's dad. 

I can't understand how people are even discussing how a coach dresses. He's a 70 year old veteran with a pretty good job and he mostly out-coached us last night.

For me it's my morning so here goes my 10 key points:

1-The move with Laryea for Tajon was fine, but not how it lined up. 

2-By not letting at least one wing play inverted we hurt our attack. Both Davies and Millar were set up to just cross in and didn't get chances. Though Davies tried off his wrong foot. Both were also thrown off for defensive duties as Marsch decided we didn't need to cover as diligently. So just that small change weakened what we'd seen the previous matches. 

3-Staq and David have great fitness and showed quality and pace pretty well the whole game. Davies and Bombito were quite fit too. Those four were our mainstay field players.

4-Crepeau came up big for us and is looking overall excellent. 

5-Subs. didn't like losing Cornelius and didn't understand it. Miller was poor and our shape was weakened. Perhaps it was the yellow, as with Laryea. Osorio didn't do much and especially didn't help Staq in the possession game. Shaffelburg was very incisive but objectively he's a one trick pony. He blew a lot of crosses in but got the most important one right. Was a bit better two ways. Also stayed down long on the red, enough for VAR to decide to act.

6-Our tactical intelligence was poor and imo Marsch didn't have the right game plan. We were going long far too early instead of just having them find each other and keep the ball moving. Sometimes what looks like vain possession isn't because the rival is forced out and our confidence is bolstered. Vain England possession when more is expected can be criticized, but vain Canada possession isn't a problem and will irk the rival. If we were clear to just play simple, find the nearest open teammate and keep a flow, rotating the ball (what you'd remind that u16 team you coach to do ffs) then you convince Kone that's all that's expected of him.

7-Peru were quite good doing what we didn't, moving the ball methodically into an attacking area. A mid level team with no defective players (except mentally with the rashness), no stars or standouts, and the sort you have to compete with in Copa. I expect similar from Chile. I watched a bit of their first half and will rewatch, but they were nowhere near as wild and aggressive as that first match. They were compact but as said, in attack rather inoffensive. 

8- Was disappointed with our play but pleased Marsch tried to adjust, and even 2nd half was really concerned and discussing hard with his assistants. He works at it. I also find his straight up answers and thoughts a relief after Herdman's spin. Herdman was more of a diva than I'd realized when we had him.

9- Another Marsch positive is how he's chosen two captains and both have taken the leadership responsibility well. Now just convince Phonzie to get away from those free kicks.

10-As long as Argentina doesn't lose to Perú all we need is a draw. You can't play for a draw, and Chile will push to win, so you can counter. One more match where we need to be in it with 15 min left even if it's 2-1 against. 

Odd scenario for first place has us winning by multiple goals and Argentina losing, if GD is the decider. 

I'll miss it as I'm traveling to Canada during the match, just may get to see a bit in Calgary between planes.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Argentina 🇦🇷 beats Chile 🇨🇱 1-0 and now it is up to us to get a result against Chile 🇨🇱...either get a win or a draw but if we really go for the win and get 6 points then it at least solidifies our position no matter what. But a draw like they said will probably be enough on 4 points.

But Chile like Peru are also an aging side and also like Peru are going to be physical and defensively compact. Notice how it took Argentina all of 88 minutes to finally get something from that game. My point being that Chile are not going to be as easy as we think.

3 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

I was watching the 'Game in 25' from TSN on youtube (what else am I going to do, sleep?), and it reminded me that while our goal itself was well taken, the lead-up to our goal was quite comical. Starting at 15:31, you have a truly terrible overhead-kick clearance attempt from Davies, then a Peruvian handball missed by the ref, then a weak clearance by Miller, with so much spin on the ball that the bounce makes him fall over somehow, then Staq clearly bounces it out off a Peruvian player for a Canada throw, but somehow the throw is given to Peru (pause on 16:00 for a great Staq freeze frame reaction), then Davies with a poor headed clearance on the long throw-in, but it goes in the direction of Larin, and the rest is history...

Perfect PBP. The missed handball and throw-in were so obvious. 

5 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Can someone help me out here and remind me how to ignore a user? I'm thinking I need to add someone to that list for the first time. 

Click on your name to get to your profile.  

Click on the cog icon beside your profile pic. 

Click on “Ignored Users” at the bottom of the page.  

Start typing someone’s name and it will list the matching users.  

I am sure you can figure it out from there :) 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Jesse looked like a gym teacher on American Pie, or one of the rival coaches to young Sheldon's dad. 

I can't understand how people are even discussing how a coach dresses. He's a 70 year old veteran with a pretty good job and he mostly out-coached us last night.

We probably got their coach fired yesterday. 

They will wait until after Copa to do it. But they are already doing badly in WCQ as well.

This may partly explain some of his stupid comments 

21 hours ago, gator said:

Wouldn't any win work if we draw, they would be even and we'll be at -1?

If we draw, yes, but that is not the only scenario Peru has to think about. Statistically (because most games do have a victor and because we aren't THAT good) the most plausible way out at this point for Peru goes through Chile winning. In that case most of the tiebreakers are likely to play and for that they'd need a two goals win, or at least one with a high scoreline. For Peru the alternative to try to get that win would be to essentially accept they aren't going through without a tie between Canada and Chile.

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I would be very, very cautiously optimistic here.  I thought Chile's central midfield closed guys down well in that second half and I have serious concerns about turnovers causing counterattacks.

I won't say you are wrong, as we all see what we see, but that's not what I saw. What I saw was a team with little to no offense and who only survived on Argentina being even worse than us at converting chances, even if they had good defensive moments. They also didn't exactly cover themselves in glory against Peru either. Sure, they weren't as flustered by Peru's... strategy then us, probably down to having more experience in such games, but at the same time they weren't able to push them enough to bring that strategy to its breaking point, when they had to either become dirty enough to basically force the ref to heavily sanction them or risk no longer being nearly as effective at slowing their opponent's down.

The turnover thing is a concern, to be sure, but I am less concerned with it and Chile closing us down because Chile just has to come to us on this one. A tie is an option for us, and quite probably one that get us through, but it isn't for Chile. If they want to have a shot they have to open.

I said the same thing elsewhere but we have to stop seeing our opponents being two feet taler then they are just because they are in Conmebol. Getting semi-regular beating against Argentina, Uruguay these days and Brazil in the past does not make our opponents automatically better.

Edited by phil03

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

We probably got their coach fired yesterday. 

They will wait until after Copa to do it. But they are already doing badly in WCQ as well.

This may partly explain some of his stupid comments 

I do think that there is a bit of a ''they are in CONCACAF and therefore we should beat them'' at play too, from both fans and pundits. Which is kinda dumb considering we objectively have more talent than them...

I do feel bad for their coach in that regard, as while I find some of their tactics distasteful Peru objectively did a solid job at using whatever tools they had at their disposal to give themselves a shot against us.

Edited by phil03

A tough, rugged match in extreme heat. We looked sloppy until they went down to 10 men, but the one thing I come back to is that good teams win when they shouldn’t. 

We shook it off, competed, got them down and finished the job. And I love it. 

Onto Chile for another grudge match. 

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Click on your name to get to your profile.  

Click on the cog icon beside your profile pic. 

Click on “Ignored Users” at the bottom of the page.  

Start typing someone’s name and it will list the matching users.  

I am sure you can figure it out from there :) 

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes addictive and you even start blocking posters you like. 

I spy on those I block constantly, like old girlfriends who jilted me.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes addictive and you even start blocking posters you like. 

I spy on those I block constantly, like old girlfriends who jilted me.

I open the occasional blocked post.  I even unblocked BBTB/OTP since he seems to now occasionally post things that aren't pure toxin. But there are a few I have decided not to waste my time/effort on.