Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

14 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

We don't need Argentina to win vs. Chile, just not lose. If they draw, then Canada has 3 points and Chile has 2 going into our match vs Chile, so a draw is still good enough to advance. I will feel more comfortable if Argentina wins, but if they draw, that might ensure they come out a bit stronger vs Peru.

My math may be wrong but I think we would prefer Argentina and Chile draw.   We need a result against Chile in the final game regardless because a loss would only leave us at 3 points and not advancing.  

If Argentina win, they have 6 points, we have 3, and Chile and Peru have 1 each after 2 rounds.  We still need a win or a draw against Chile since a loss would leave us at 3 and them at 4.  But Argentina would be through and might mail it in against Peru - which means Peru could win and finish on 4 points and level with us on points meaning they could go through if we draw and they have better goal differential (I think that is the first tie breaker)

Scenario 2:  Argentina and Chile draw tonight, and we finish round two with Arg on 4, us on 3, Chile on 2 and Peru on 1.  We still need a draw or a win against Chile but Argentina would need a result to guarantee top spot so they would still have something to play for in the final round.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

My math may be wrong but I think we would prefer Argentina and Chile draw.   We need a result against Chile in the final game regardless because a loss would only leave us at 3 points and not advancing.  

If Argentina win, they have 6 points, we have 3, and Chile and Peru have 1 each after 2 rounds.  We still need a win or a draw against Chile since a loss would leave us at 3 and them at 4.  But Argentina would be through and might mail it in against Peru - which means Peru could win and finish on 4 points and level with us on points meaning they could go through if we draw and they have better goal differential (I think that is the first tie breaker)

Scenario 2:  Argentina and Chile draw tonight, and we finish round two with Arg on 4, us on 3, Chile on 2 and Peru on 1.  We still need a draw or a win against Chile but Argentina would need a result to guarantee top spot so they would still have something to play for in the final round.

You are right, I only said I would be more comfortable if Argentina wins - because if they draw, that will mean Chile still has a chance to win it, right up until the final whistle! After the Arg-Chi game is done, then yes, a draw is better.

6 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Shaff was great, but the red card is what made the difference. Be real. 

If you are more talented, you don't need to do two seperate  things that deserve red cards.

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Usually Peru doesn't have a discipline problem. 

I appreciate the alliegance but I have just seen them try a lot of thuggery in 2 matches straight.

And I was following Morocco last year (West Ham player) when they kicked the crap out of each other near the end a friendly.  Looking back it was Zambrano and Boufal with the reds.  

Just now, Free kick said:

Chile have done nothing in the game 

Shots are 16-0 for Argentina (just hit the bar). They are all over Chile, not letting them settle on the ball at all. I think they had more respect for Canada's pace so that gave us a little more breathing room. Plus we didn't pull quite so many bodies back as Chile has done, so we had more of an outlet.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Not a fan.

nono... be fair guys.   to be a little discontent is ok.   it just reflects a higher level of expectation, which is not a bad thing relatively speaking.  

fwiw... i rate the boys' performance about 7/10 for this match.  my high point for reference were those three matches at azteca, in hamilton and at iceteca

I got curious and/or bored:

Mario Escobar matches for Canada:
Sept 10, 2019: NLA in Cayman Islands v Cuba 1-0 W
Nov 16, 2021: WCQ in Edmonton v Mexico 2-1 W
Jun 13 2022: NLA in Honduras v Honduras 2-1 L
Jun 15 2023: NLA in USA v Panama 2-0 W (fourth)
Jun 25 2024: CA in USA v Peru 1-0 W

He was also in the middle for the match where Canada U20 lost to Kitts & Nevis U20.

Edited by Mihairokov

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Chile have done nothing in the game. absolutely nothing

Shots

Argentina 17

Chile 0

5 minutes ago, spinrack said:

I’m watching Chile/Argentina right now, and Chile looks really, really good.  If they play like this against Canada on Saturday we are in deep trouble .

I am confused.  

2 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I guess I understand why you don’t think it was a “big tournament”, since we only beat minnows like Mexico and Colombia in the knockouts rounds to win it. 

Mexico is dominant in our region.  What's their World Cup record like?  What's Colombia's record like at the WC?  I'm not saying either team is bad.

When New Zealand wins the OFC, I don't ever think they won a "big tournament" either.