Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

1 hour ago, frmr said:

For anyone who saying this wasn't a good win. Welcome to Copa America, this is how the game is played sometimes. Look at how Peru/Chile went. It's how they play. Factor in the heat and this was exactly what we needed to do.

The only thing that mattered was the result, and we got it. Anyone who doesn't see anything but positives there is kidding themselves.

This is why England with all their players throughout history has only one major tournament won. Look at this Euro they just topped their group not losing a game and the English media and fans are complaining about style and that they haven’t won games convincingly . In tournament play it’s all about getting out of your group . Italy has made a history of just getting out of their group and has  go on to win of few tournaments just doing enough in group play .

20 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

With this Canada win...we have to depend on Argentina 🇦🇷 to beat Chile because going into the last group game, if Canada wins or even draws with Chile, we go on to the quarter finals of Copa!!! Well depending also on Argentina to beat Peru too in their last group game...thinking about scenarios here

We don't need Argentina to win vs. Chile, just not lose. If they draw, then Canada has 3 points and Chile has 2 going into our match vs Chile, so a draw is still good enough to advance. I will feel more comfortable if Argentina wins, but if they draw, that might ensure they come out a bit stronger vs Peru.

11 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

If we were more talented, then how come it didn't look it? Have you been reading anything posted here? 

We didn’t look great but neither did Peru. It was a scorcher. How can you honestly say Peru looked more talented than us? We won the game with quality play and Peru created one half chance all game. 

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

FS1 ripping the Canada performance, lack of composure, lack of ideas, lack of experience.  Saying Peru dominated and if not for the card, would not have been close.

edit: When we beat Chile they can eat it.  It is like they are saying only certain teams are allowed to win ugly.

That is some heavy implying you’re doing. They said Peru was playing more positive before the red and that the red changed the course of the game. 

16 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

We don't need Argentina to win vs. Chile, just not lose. If they draw, then Canada has 3 points and Chile has 2 going into our match vs Chile, so a draw is still good enough to advance. I will feel more comfortable if Argentina wins, but if they draw, that might ensure they come out a bit stronger vs Peru.

As long as they don't win, and half way through the Argentina match I don't expect they will, Chile is going to be under it come Saturday.  They'll need the win and we really couldn't ask for better could we?

Think we might match up better against Chile than Peru.  Peru has some very real pace all over the field.  That theory will be tested soon enough.

20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We didn’t look great but neither did Peru. It was a scorcher. How can you honestly say Peru looked more talented than us? We won the game with quality play and Peru created one half chance all game. 

Read what I wrote carefully: I said that they are more consistently solid in terms of quality than we are, that they have better overall depth. It was a scorcher for them, too. How come, if it was a scorcher for both teams, they looked better in the first half? What gave them the edge? Even better, when they were down a man, how come we barely hung on for the last 10 minutes? I mean, seeing as we are more talented than they are, how come we did not score more goals when we had the advantage? 

To be clear, I don't feel Peru is miles a head of us. And, to be fair, I think we kinda underperformed for much of the first half, but they have the edge in depth in my opinion. Maybe it isn't depth of talent; maybe it is merely depth of experience. Whatever the case, they looked the better team in the first half.

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

First half Peru was 1-0 was the better side by a huge margin 

Just now, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Read what I wrote carefully: I said that they are more consistently solid in terms of quality than we are, that they have better overall depth. It was a scorcher for them, too. How come, if it was a scorcher for both teams, they looked better in the first half? What gave them the edge? Even better, when they were down a man, how come we barely hung on for the last 10 minutes? I mean, seeing as we are more talented than they are, how come we did not score more goals when we had the advantage? 

To be clear, I don't feel Peru is miles a head of us. And, to be fair, I think we kinda underperformed for much of the first half, but they have the edge in depth in my opinion. Maybe it isn't depth of talent; maybe it is merely depth of experience. Whatever the case, they looked the better team in the first half.

Who came on for Peru and changed the game though? We brought on Shaffelburg and he was a constant threat for us. Our other subs weren’t bad either. 

2 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

The funny thing is, if the Peruvian coach could have kept his team more disciplined and they might have achieved a better outcome. Their loss is at least in part on his shoulders for his irresponsible comments and attitude. Oh well, not my problem.

Uruguayan 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Who came on for Peru and changed the game though? We brought on Shaffelburg and he was a constant threat for us. Our other subs weren’t bad either. 

Shaff was great, but the red card is what made the difference. Be real. 

29 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

That is some heavy implying you’re doing. They said Peru was playing more positive before the red and that the red changed the course of the game. 

They should have had 2 reds which probably would have helped our goal differential. 

4 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

The funny thing is, if the Peruvian coach could have kept his team more disciplined and they might have achieved a better outcome. Their loss is at least in part on his shoulders for his irresponsible comments and attitude. Oh well, not my problem.

Was thinking the same thing when the second red card offense occurred. I said we'd be too smart to get into stupid shit, and we were. Marsch said we'd be strong, but disciplined. He had our guys prepared.

Not a great performance but an exceptional win with all things considering.  We have a new coach that has been forced to learn about his new players in a couple weeks and against literally the world’s best teams.  Playing in that heat on a small field that doesn’t suit our style.  I’ll take that win any day.

Crepeau - Just wow.  What a performance once again.  I had some concerns leading up to this tournament  given his club form but he has to be the starter for the foreseeable future.  Outstanding again.

Johnston - Not a great performance by him.  He was involved in a lot but has slowly become less dependable and a weaker spot in our starting lineup.

Cornelius - I thought he was one of the few bright spots in the first half and glad that he was able to get some rest.  Hopefully nothing more to the sub at halftime.

Bombito - Had a few moments of madness but easy to see why he so highly regarded.  Remember this man has only a couple dozen professional appearances.

Davies - I thought he was overall good.  Especially in the 2nd half.  I also do think he’s showing more maturity as captain.  We desperately need him at left back right now.

Laryea - He looked very rusty which should be expected.  I’m glad we were able to get some rotation in and I expect him to get going again in the coming weeks.

Eustaquio - I thought he was immense again for us.  He did nothing too spectacular but what an engine he has.  Had some crucial breakups and blocks.  He hasn’t had a lot of help from Kone these past two games either.  What a leader he is as well.  He doesn’t need a captains title to be a leader out there.

Kone - Another poor performance from him.  He’s got the tools but it’s also clear why he is heavily rotated at club as well.  Needs to improve his inconsistency.

Millar - I thought he had a bit of a rough half but so did the entire team.  Still think he’s overall our best two way player down that side.

David - I thought his first half was quite poor but his second half was much better.  What an exception finish as well.

Larin - It can be hard for him to get into these games against big opponents but he’s done the little things well these past two games.  Also exceptional strength and through ball to Shaf on the goal.

Osorio - Another solid performance and aside from a few posters, I can’t imagine people are doubting his inclusion in the squad at this point.  He’s still got some left in the tank.

Kamal - I thought he looked okay.  He will be a solid backup for us for a few years but this is Cornelius spot to lose now.

Shaffelburg - Another exceptional substitute appearance for him today.  He’s earned a start but I also love the idea of him with fresh legs running at defenders.  The red card definitely helped open up the field and play which suits his style.

Tajon - Better from him today but still looking for more from him.

Tani - Glad he’s cap tied and made some great plays on the ball to create chances and good runs to be in the right places.  Unlucky on the finish but needs to put those away.

I know I should be more critical on most of these summaries but I’m still buzzing from the win!  

Edited by Corazon

Usually Peru doesn't have a discipline problem.  Canada brought that out of them somehow, and that's a good thing.  

Without the card that's a tie game at least.  

Regardless, we need a result against Chile.  Fuck Chile.  Honestly Fuck them.  They're worse than Honduras.  

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by BrennanFan

12 minutes ago, mowe said:

We just won a game at Copa America and have a good chance of getting out of the group.

When I first became a fan of this team I’d do anything just to make the Hex. What a brave new world.

Jonathan David's first cap was against the US Virgin Islands.

Edited by Mihairokov

51 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not sure what game you were watching. It’s clear we were the more talented side and they knew it as well. We have some pretty respectable depth and certainly better than Peru. Who could you even say impressed you for Peru? They’re a team of European flops and it showed - all South American thug types. Peru 

Peru with an Uruguayan manager put on a fight right on the first minute 

Tussle and kicking bullying canadians was for the taking