Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

48 minutes ago, kacbru said:

FS1 ripping the Canada performance, lack of composure, lack of ideas, lack of experience.  Saying Peru dominated and if not for the card, would not have been close.

edit: When we beat Chile they can eat it.  It is like they are saying only certain teams are allowed to win ugly.

Its Fox, why even bother?

3 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Don't forget Staq. He played a great game tonight with a lot of poor performances around him. Never stopped running or making plays and clogging up lanes. No way we get that result without him out there. 

He's clearly our captain now. Him and/or Max.

Edited by nolando

Happy about the win, of course ecstatic in fact - but at the same time, I am still pissed off that this game even happened at 5 o’clock in this weather. That just played right into our opponents hands. We have to be thankful that the stupidity of a couple of the Peruvian players exceeded the stupidity of the tournament organizers to give us the win.

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

but at the same time, I am still pissed off that this game even happened at 5 o’clock in this weather. That just played right into our opponents hands. 

CONMEBOL/Concacaf cannot predict the weather X number of months out when the matches are scheduled. They're scheduled this way for TV and nothing else.

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

but at the same time, I am still pissed off that this game even happened at 5 o’clock in this weather. That just played right into our opponents hands. 

CONMEBOL/Concacaf cannot predict the weather X number of months out when the matches are scheduled. They're scheduled this way for TV and nothing else.

25 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I sometimes wonder about certain footballing cultures, how everything is angst and deception and intimidation and theatrics and frowns and handbags. How can you play with any sort of joy when that is your mindset? Does nobody simply want to be an athlete and not a rodeo clown, a politician, and a street urchin all at the same time?  Does self-respect exist as a concept? There are advantages to be gained by this attitude, but I feel like so much more is lost.

I think it comes down to national and cultural self assurance.  Many countries and cultures have persecution complex and sence that "the world is against us attitude".   If they lose, its the system that beat them.   Or,  they think that "The world doesnt pay enough attention to them".   This is common with smaller countries and mid sized countries.   If you believe that you are always cheated  then the natural way to counter this is fight fire with fire.  Even though you might be blinded to that fact that you not as good as you think.

You dont see this with larger counties or cultures that are more influential in the world such as Germany, France, US, Japan, China etc.   

If you follow international basketball,  as I do,  you will see exactly the same thing with countries like Slovenia, Latvia etc.   or all the other South American countries in international competitions.   Even Australia seems to exhibit these attitudes.

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, Mihairokov said:

30+ and humid in late June in Kansas City is as close to a guarantee as you can get as a weather forecaster.

A nice +10 day when we scheduled Costa Rica and Mexico in November in Edmonton is more likely than a bearable afternoon match in KC.

With this Canada win...we have to depend on Argentina 🇦🇷 to beat Chile because going into the last group game, if Canada wins or even draws with Chile, we go on to the quarter finals of Copa!!! Well depending also on Argentina to beat Peru too in their last group game...thinking about scenarios here

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

30+ and humid in late June in Kansas City is as close to a guarantee as you can get as a weather forecaster.

A nice +10 day when we scheduled Costa Rica and Mexico in November in Edmonton is more likely than a bearable afternoon match in KC.

Exactly. You don’t want to overlap with the Argentina match, put that one at 7pm and move this one to the west coast (Seattle?) for a later start.

37 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I think what was most evident was something one of you cats posted earlier, that while Peru may not have a David or Davies, their talent/skill level is more consistently solid than ours. I mean, Kone playing at his best would have made a massive difference. He was a liability tonight, as he was at times during Argentina. Laryea isn't fit yet. Johnston seems to have hit his ceiling, or maybe a move to a better club will allow him to grow. Tajon is rusty-as-fuck. Staq barely played club footie this year. Depth remains an issue for us. All national sides have players who are injured, recently returned from injury, or out of form, but the great footballing nations have depth for miles.  We might still be 10 years away from having the sort of depth to consistently sit in the top 30 nations.

Not sure what game you were watching. It’s clear we were the more talented side and they knew it as well. We have some pretty respectable depth and certainly better than Peru. Who could you even say impressed you for Peru? They’re a team of European flops and it showed - all South American thug types. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not sure what game you were watching. It’s clear we were the more talented side and they knew it as well. We have some pretty respectable depth and certainly better than Peru. Who could you even say impressed you for Peru? They’re a team of European flops and it showed - all South American thug types. 

If we were more talented, then how come it didn't look it? Have you been reading anything posted here? 

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also agree he was better tonight, but what I disagreed with was losing Cornelius for Miller, bad sub decision.

Agreed, but it seemed like we was protecting people with yellows as part of the half-time changes