Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

6 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Still a fuck ton to learn. Bombito is growing but is still super naive in a lot of ways. Kone has to take his game up a notch. He's capable of it. But this team needs more experience, plain and simple. Oso and David and Staq played with the most composure as the game got a bit loopy at the end.

Agreed with what you wrote.  

Would add something to this, Bombito was 95% a monster in our box when they started dumping it in and saved us with pace once or twice.  He needs games to develop the other bits as you say. 

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Agreed with what you wrote.  

Would add something to this, Bombito was 95% a monster in our box when they started dumping it in and saved us with pace once or twice.  He needs games to develop the other bits as you say. 

Yes. The lad just needs time and more good coaching. A move to Lyon could be massive. He's a project; I'm patient.

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Guys, stop thinking we are even close to being the finished product. Young team with a brand new manager, totally new CB pairing, no more Atiba...Why are we expecting to be world beaters when our program has only just started showing signs of quality?

We need  many more games like this. Maybe not in the heat, but real battles that test us, force us to grow, force us to learn about ourselves.

We started out better in the second half, perhaps because we shored up the center of the pitch by moving Kone out. Oso, old legs and all, was solid. And it gave Staq the support he needs to run things. Stag played a monster of a second half. Keep in mind this is a guy who has not had a ton of playing time for most of the past season.

Still a fuck ton to learn. Bombito is growing but is still super naive in a lot of ways. Kone has to take his game up a notch. He's capable of it. But this team needs more experience, plain and simple. Oso and David and Staq played with the most composure as the game got a bit loopy at the end.

Crepeau is the man! The Man! L'homme! We're okay without Borjan (but thankyou for your service.)

David is probably our smartest player. What a finish!

Shaff was incredible.

The concern is our ability to generate anything off of the buildup.  Recall, that the goal came on a counter attack.  Even though we were a man up,  we needed a counter attack to score.  But thats not going to happen often when you are playing 11 versus 10.    When, your up a man, you should be able to controll the play and create chances with good passing and buildup

Edited by Free kick

Just now, One American said:

What happened to Alphonso Davies, budding superstar, one of the best players in the world? Did that guy retire? 

He was hot and cold tonight.  Some bad giveaways but also some good plays at the end to help see this out.  And that is a guy who played the 90 minutes in those conditions.  

That was a lightning strike, that Canada barely avoided.  None of the players should, I hope, take it as as too much of a positive.   Beyond the pure result.

Shaff might be the exception...his maniac outside wing play, and his game-winning assist?  Well,  who am I to say that's not repeatable...he's already done it many times for the NT, so I'll go with it.

Hope all our Voyageurs are doing well.

Also.  Crepeau.  Fuck him and his broken leg screwing up our 2022 WC!  So happy to see him back at the same level before when he took a break!   Man...that's some useful play, to put it mildly...man is an utter beast!!

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He was hot and cold tonight.  Some bad giveaways but also some good plays at the end to help see this out.  And that is a guy who played the 90 minutes in those conditions.  

I think he started with some hero stuff trying to make stuff happened but he locked in as a defender in the second.  I thought he made some smart unselfish decisions when we had the lead.   

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Yes. The lad just needs time and more good coaching. A move to Lyon could be massive. He's a project; I'm patient.

With Bombito, it's worth remembering he was centering a back 3 with Johnston (not a CB) and Miller (clear signs of rust). I thought he was good overall.

I'm curious about the Cornelius swap. Does Marsch not think he can play in a back three? He didn't seem to be struggling with the heat, or in the game, more than anyone else.

14 minutes ago, kacbru said:

FS1 ripping the Canada performance, lack of composure, lack of ideas, lack of experience.  Saying Peru dominated and if not for the card, would not have been close.

edit: When we beat Chile they can eat it.  It is like they are saying only certain teams are allowed to win ugly.

I was watching FS1 for the first half and usually their commentators and PBP are pretty good.  The Spanish PBP guy today was amateur hour, he didn't know queen poop about the Canadian team.

Truth be told, they are not far off in the Canada assessment that you wrote but I still think we are a better team, but were not very good today

6 minutes ago, One American said:

What happened to Alphonso Davies, budding superstar, one of the best players in the world? Did that guy retire? 

He was fantastic in the second half, and the main reason that Shaffelburg had so much space in which to operate. He is clearly the first guy on the opponents' tactics board every single match.

Edited by jonovision

We played very well in a loss to Argentina and not very well in a win against Perú. I'll take the latter every single time. 

Any chance of this game being pretty was compromised by the conditions, the refereeing, and the opponent. The games started before kick-off with the comments of the Peru coach. 

My only real concern was the decision making in the final third after going ahead. With more composure we score a few more, but there was a weird sense of urgency that resulted in sloppiness. 

3 minutes ago, One American said:

Mad Max Reaction GIF

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How's our FIFA ranking doing after tying then beating teams above us?

We'll enter top fifty. Maybe 48? Below is updated daily:

https://football-ranking.com/fifa-rankings

In ELO we're up to 33 and now tied with Peru. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think he started with some hero stuff trying to make stuff happened but he lock-in as a defender in the second.  I thought he made some smart unselfish decisions when we had the lead.   

One play was right at the death where instead of trying some hero ball he gave the ball to shaf open on the left and directed him to go to the corner to see the game off

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

With Bombito, it's worth remembering he was centering a back 3 with Johnston (not a CB) and Miller (clear signs of rust). I thought he was good overall.

I'm curious about the Cornelius swap. Does Marsch not think he can play in a back three? He didn't seem to be struggling with the heat, or in the game, more than anyone else.

Yeah. Take nothing away from Bombito, but this was a puzzling change. 

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I was watching FS1 for the first half and usually their commentators and PBP are pretty good.  The Spanish PBP guy today was amateur hour, he didn't know queen poop about the Canadian team.

Truth be told, they are not far off in the Canada assessment that you wrote but I still think we are a better team, but were not very good today

Yeah. I did the first half as well. And he at one point said that David had a really rough season at Lille this year and was out of form this season (I guess second in the league I scoring is a bad season); and he said Crepeau was the keeper for CF Montreal. 

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How's our FIFA ranking doing after tying then beating teams above us?

We went up one after France I believe.

Don't know the ranking now but went down 6 ish points for the Argentina game and up 15.5 with this win. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I think what was most evident was something one of you cats posted earlier, that while Peru may not have a David or Davies, their talent/skill level is more consistently solid than ours. I mean, Kone playing at his best would have made a massive difference. He was a liability tonight, as he was at times during Argentina. Laryea isn't fit yet. Johnston seems to have hit his ceiling, or maybe a move to a better club will allow him to grow. Tajon is rusty-as-fuck. Staq barely played club footie this year. Depth remains an issue for us. All national sides have players who are injured, recently returned from injury, or out of form, but the great footballing nations have depth for miles.  We might still be 10 years away from having the sort of depth to consistently sit in the top 30 nations.