Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

espn plus lots of other pundits are saying the boys should take this AND advance.  im also sensing A LOT of canadian bullishness for this match.   

i dont wanna be THAT guy, but i would be very happy if the boys scored a goal from open play.  a corner would count for me too.    the reason why im such a downer is b/c i dont wanna be a clueless cheerleader.  what looks good on paper translates differently on the pitch (belgium anybody?!?).

ide also wanna caution against this confidence vs peru.  apart from brasil, argentina and uruguay, the strengths in COMMENBOL fluctuate constantly.  its changing now, but in the past, our gold cup champion would arguably struggle to take on their worst

(im wearing my ppe, dont hold back with the replies)

Edited by kungfucious

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love the allegiance to a bit of strategy, but also think you have to have moments of hubris, some self-centred players, a bit of bite and ruthlessness. A crazy guy or two on the pitch.

Plenty of those guys there but they have bought into a bad system and are under massive often silly pressure.

Southgate has said some ridiculous things lately to increase that.

1 minute ago, kungfucious said:

espn plus lots of other pundits are saying the boys should take this AND advance.  im also sensing A LOT of canadian bullishness for this match.   

i dont wanna be THAT guy, but i would be very happy if the boys scored a goal from open play.  a corner would count for me too.    the reason why im such a downer is b/c i dont wanna be a clueless cheerleader.  what looks good on paper translates differently on the pitch (belgium among others?).

ide also wanna caution against this confidence vs peru.  apart from brasil, argentina and uruguay, the strengths in COMMENBOL fluctuate constantly.  its changing now, but in the past, our gold cup champion would arguably struggle to take on their worst

(im wearing my ppe, dont hold back with the replies)

I agree - I really want to be optimistic about this group and I think they are moving in the right direction, but they still haven't done anything.  Even in WCQ, if we are honest, we had a lot of bounces go our way.

Hope for the best, expect the worst has done me well supporting CMNT for years.

Just now, kacbru said:

Hope for the best, expect the worst has done me well supporting CMNT for years.

but does it have to be this way?   

i compare us to the yanks and the socceroos.  and for me, theres no reason why our mens teams are so far behind.  gap appears to be closing, but i still see huge distance between us.  

i also partially blame our fairweather soccer culture here.  despite a healthy immigrant population, football just doesnt register.   

fwiw... almost all govt offices in peru are close for the day...  even to watch canada

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

laryea has 45 in his legs...gives a chance to marsch to see what we need at halftime a make a sub...if we need a goal maybe its buchanan and shaffelburg in for millar laryea

I know he hasn’t played much lately but Richie is almost inhuman in terms of fitness.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has a solid 90 in him.   

Not saying he won’t get subbed out - but I think it would be for tactical reasons rather than the idea that he needs replacement for fitness reasons.  At least for 60-75 minutes. Dude is a beast.   

I think this is our most important match since the World Cup. We've been faded by superior teams at the WC, beaten up on CONCACAF smurfs and had a lot push and pull with the other two good teams in the region. This is the first team we've encountered that's bother unfamiliar to us and that's at the medium level that we think we're at or even past. Result will be telling. At least score a goal!

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Plenty of those guys there but they have bought into a bad system and are under massive often silly pressure.

Southgate has said some ridiculous things lately to increase that.

For those of us who are not England fans, as @kacbru has expressed, it is fun to see it burst. 

But it is only a bit. They are still comfortably into the knock-out rounds and really, this Euros, you hit quarter finals and all rivals are extremely tough.