Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

Mostly excited for this one. Not as anxious as the game vs. Argentina. What I want to see: Same cohesive shape as we showed vs. France; clean up the mistakes we made vs. Argentina; and score at least one goal.

I am expecting, cynically, 0 - 0.  But I feel we've got goals in us. Hoping this one does not devolve into a soggy, humid cesspool of shite football.

Both teams need a win. A tie really doesn't cut it, especially for Peru with Argentina next. So I can't see them going with a low block or certainly not for most of the game. I suspect both teams will start a bit cagey for the first 10-15 mins hoping for a mistake by the other team to capitalize on, then turn it on. The heat will be a major factor. Not sure how we can aggressively press.

52 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

I'm in Wasaga Beach, Ontario. It's a small town and I've seen 3 others today. 2 of them are fairly close neighbors  that I don't know. My wife wants us to  introduce ourselves. "Oh look honey!" Someone else for you to vent your obsession on!"

You sure those flags aren't for Canada Day?  Not many of us Canada supporters out there in the wild....

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Do not change the starting XI.  Just gauge the who and the when of the five subs in this oppressive heat.

This starting XI got chances every single match until now vs. very tough teams, so you have to expect them to get a few more. More chances, and some finishing. 

I think Marsch absolutely has to go for this group, and see what his concept of the starters can do vs. an accessible rival. Not easy, perhaps even better than us as a team, but accessible. If Marsch changes things up here, he's not going to learn if his team until now is the right one or not. 

I know that Tajon has not been clicking in attack, but vs. their LB we have to encourage him to go for it. In this heat, we cannot expect Davies and AJ to be constantly overlapping, it'll kill them. The attackers have to take their chances. We need a short patient game, not sending long ones, because the heat actually requires it. Then pick up the pace in critical areas.

It is a must win, as I see it. Would be nice to get to the third game with something to play for. Other than that, we need to get up first, not have to chase it, and hold on for the win if we can. Only if it is late and we are tied, could I see ensuring the point, as it means a win vs. Chile puts us through.

14 minutes ago, costarg said:

You sure those flags aren't for Canada Day?  Not many of us Canada supporters out there in the wild....

Depends where you are. I pass at least one Canada soccer flag a day since Thursday. 1.1 million tuned into the last match so not exactly obscure on the sports scene anymore. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

14 minutes ago, costarg said:

At the risk of sounding braggy, maybe I "inspired" the neighbors when I was the only person flying one during the world cup. I'll ask when my wife drags me to their doorstep by the scruff of my neck.🤣

6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I'm really enjoying the England angst.  They are the most enjoyable team to cheer against.

I watched them in a pub in London vs. Denmark, packed, standing room only, and there were a lot of faces and cursing that I would expect from a Crystal Palace fan, on a good day.

53 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Both teams need a win. A tie really doesn't cut it, especially for Peru with Argentina next. So I can't see them going with a low block or certainly not for most of the game. I suspect both teams will start a bit cagey for the first 10-15 mins hoping for a mistake by the other team to capitalize on, then turn it on. The heat will be a major factor. Not sure how we can aggressively press.

I expect the 1st 45 minutes to be entirely forgettable.  But you never know.  Coming out like gangbusters before the elements take their toll could occupy an attractive place on the risk/reward curve, to a certain eye. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I watched them in a pub in London vs. Denmark, packed, standing room only, and there were a lot of faces and cursing that I would expect from a Crystal Palace fan, on a good day.

Love the England fans booing them off the pitch, while the players and Southgate applaud them.  It's wonderful.

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Love the England fans booing them off the pitch, while the players and Southgate applaud them.  It's wonderful.

They still won their group, showed they have defensive order, can keep possession. They did more than quite a few other teams that faltered.

But boy are they underperforming, they have bought into the worst of the mannered way of playing we see at Barça in the post-Guardiola, post-Messi era, just vain possession, going through the motions, fear of making a mistake.

I love the allegiance to a bit of strategy, but also think you have to have moments of hubris, some self-centred players, a bit of bite and ruthlessness. A crazy guy or two on the pitch.