Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Say what you will about FIFA and the Qatar World Cup, but they did everything they could to avoid playing in this sort of dangerous heat. Borderline negligent to allow this game to proceed with a 5pm start.

Recovery for the next match will be a challenge, too.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Do not change the starting XI.  Just gauge the who and the when of the five subs in this oppressive heat.

This is the smart thing to do. Keep the consistency going, just make the changes earlier if and when it's necessary.

Is there an official policy on breaks with heat like this? Last week’s Montreal game, I think they stopped at ‘30 for water. Think by the second half it had cooled off significantly, so unsure if there’s a break midway through each half. 

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is there an official policy on breaks with heat like this? Last week’s Montreal game, I think they stopped at ‘30 for water. Think by the second half it had cooled off significantly, so unsure if there’s a break midway through each half. 

The tournament policy doesn't have anything definitive - mostly "guidelines" and best practices:

https://copaamerica.com/en/news/Exertional-Heat-Stroke-in-Soccer-Medical-Recommendations

Edited by PastPros

19 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Say what you will about FIFA and the Qatar World Cup, but they did everything they could to avoid playing in this sort of dangerous heat. Borderline negligent to allow this game to proceed with a 5pm start.

Not even borderline. Categorically negligent.

I was born and grew up there. The humidity added to the heat, and the fact that the stadium is surrounded by many hectares of sun-baked parking lots... game time needs to be moved to 8pm local time at the earliest.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

This could be dangerous and disadvantageous for us. I hope they push the game back at least 2 hours. Not holding my breath.

Just now, JBR said:

This could be dangerous and disadvantageous for us. I hope they push the game back at least 2 hours. Not holding my breath.

There is a possibility of strong thunderstorms and lightning around 8 pm which would delay the game further.  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Have we had matches at major international tournaments ever be delayed/rescheduled? I know I could probably just look it up but don't have the time right now. There is a famous match for Polish fans in the '74 World Cup -- the last match of the second round group stage vs West Germany which effectively served as a semi-final. Many Polish fans will tell you the pitch was so water logged the match shouldn't have been played, but this might just be coping. I've only seen a couple clips from that one, I should watch it one day when I have time. I watched Poland vs England in qualifying for the '74 World Cup over COVID, the full match was just on Youtube. Enjoyable watch, remarkable how different so many little things were. For example, since the keeper could pick up back passes, defenders would actually be really brave in their ideas with the ball at the back knowing they could just pass it back very safely if their idea didn't come off.

25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

There is a possibility of strong thunderstorms and lightning around 8 pm which would delay the game further.  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Can you tell if the roof will provide some shade by 5pm?

Edited by PastPros

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Thinking this is a big Richie Laryea game. Come out late after half time and first play is a devastating tackle by Richie. If they want to “use their fists if necessary” or whatever the coach said, let’s make sure to take their heads out of the game as early as possible. 

Against a heavy tackling team, afraid of Laryea going ballistic and putting us down a man. He's got a very short fuse.

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

Agree with this. Here in Kansas City, it is REALLY hot. Was 28C when I went for a run at 7 am, will be 35C, will feel like 38C, at match time. Not sure how that will affect both teams other than the pace will be slower than usual.

I should know better than to be too optimistic after 40 years of supporting this team, but I think this could be a breakout match with a multi-goal win. Canada needs to channel their inner Wizard of Oz here in Kansas and play with brains, heart and courage!

Season 9 Good Job GIF by Friends

24 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

I also think this game would be a good opportunity to have a go with Theo Bair.  The big man could be of use against a very physical opponent when Larin will inevitably be gassed in the 2nd half. 

On that note, informative firewall protected article by Kloke on development of Theo as a player at the Athletic.

Just now, kacbru said:

But Tjon is responsible defensively, we haven't seen that from Shaf.

Thats true. Tajon is one of my favourite players but hes looked pretty bad and since its hot, I thought we could shock and awe with Shaff and then bring Tajon on to close it out.

29 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Here in Mtl I'm probably the only one with Canada soccer flag on the car. Pretty cool for me😀.

I'm in Wasaga Beach, Ontario. It's a small town and I've seen 3 others today. 2 of them are fairly close neighbors  that I don't know. My wife wants us to  introduce ourselves. "Oh look honey!" Someone else for you to vent your obsession on!"

Edited by Canuckia