Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

25 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

All five subs will be used in these tough heat conditions:  barring injuries, the question is, where?

It won't be the typical sub situations. They will have to keep an eye for anyone struggling from possible heat exhaustion. It may require non-tactical subs.

(e.g. Uruguay subbed a CB at half the other day: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5587222/2024/06/24/ronald-araujo-copa-america-uruguay/)

Edited by PastPros

2 minutes ago, PastPros said:

It won't be the typical sub situations. They will have to keep an eye for anyone struggling from possible heat exhaustion. It may require non-tactical subs.

(e.g. Uruguay subbed a CB at half the other day: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5587222/2024/06/24/ronald-araujo-copa-america-uruguay/)

I consider that like injury, so I should have made that clear.

Don't have a good feeling about this. I fear a loss that sets the group back, but I will keep it optimistic and predict a 0-0 draw, leaving the boys with everything to do against Chile, which still may not be enough. 

Thinking this is a big Richie Laryea game. Come out late after half time and first play is a devastating tackle by Richie. If they want to “use their fists if necessary” or whatever the coach said, let’s make sure to take their heads out of the game as early as possible. 

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Thinking this is a big Richie Laryea game. Come out late after half time and first play is a devastating tackle by Richie. If they want to “use their fists if necessary” or whatever the coach said, let’s make sure to take their heads out of the game as early as possible. 

I expect the same line up and I am fine with it, but I do wonder if Richie could start ahead of Johnston for this one. In addition to him getting in their heads, if we take a long term view, we want him to get starting minutes in that right back role sooner than later. After 3 big opponents, maybe this is the time for Richie to get his chance.

Of course, this is a big tournament in itself. We need a result. Just saying that's an change which could make sense. Of all the subs, I would say Laryea is the one most likely to play starting minutes this cycle. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I expect the same line up and I am fine with it, but I do wonder if Richie could start ahead of Johnston for this one. In addition to him getting in their heads, if we take a long term view, we want him to get starting minutes in that right back role sooner than later. After 3 big opponents, maybe this is the time for Richie to get his chance.

Of course, this is a big tournament in itself. We need a result. Just saying that's a change which could make sense. Of all the subs, I would say Laryea is the one most likely to play starting minutes this cycle. 

I think the lineup will stay the same. Maybe Shaff for Tajon, but I prefer him to come off the bench anyways. I can’t see AJ not starting, especially since he looked good last game, and with his social media post defending his teammate- not that it affects the result, but more reasons to keep such a natural leader in your starting 11.

Ideal is to go up 1-0, at the half we start mucking it up. Laryea in to cause chaos. shaffelburg in to make deep runs into their zone and waste time. If we’re up by a couple, I’d like to see what Ali Ahmed can give us too.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Much like this Peru coach's comments, that was an arguably dumb comment but one intended for a specific audience (the team huddle, in that case) for a specific effect.

I don't think either coach's comments was intended to or is likely to lead to violent play on the pitch.

Definitely agree re: Herdman. But this comment was made during a press conference and he literally said they'll use their fists, if needed. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think the lineup will stay the same. Maybe Shaff for Tajon, but I prefer him to come off the bench anyways. I can’t see AJ not starting, especially since he looked good last game, and with his social media post defending his teammate- not that it affects the result, but more reasons to keep such a natural leader in your starting 11.

Ideal is to go up 1-0, at the half we start mucking it up. Laryea in to cause chaos. shaffelburg in to make deep runs into their zone and waste time. If we’re up by a couple, I’d like to see what Ali Ahmed can give us too.

What Johnston said was admirable and a big showing of his excellent character, but that should not factor in whether he should start, at all. 

But that said, I agree that Johnston should start. Just saying if there were a change, that'd be the one for me, before Shaff going into the starting line up. I agree with Caldwell's take on it. Jacob is an impact player off the bench. 

1 minute ago, Cadeau said:

I think Shaff starts too.

Wouldn't mind it, honestly. I know he's a good impact sub, but who's to say he can't be a threat for 90?

Anyway, I can understand either starting and am completely fine with this. Shaf has proven his worth time and again. 

But to add, Shaff would be the next one for me, after Laryea, even though I like him as a sub.

What about switching Tajon to the left and taking out Millar? I love what Liam has shown, but I am also curious to see what Tajon can do in his role. I've said before, I don't think Tajon is as good on the right. Everyone says he's out of form due to his minutes with Inter, and that could be true to an extent, but he's looked excellent in his limited Inter minutes, and he's played on the left for Inter.

But most importantly ....he hasn't played on the left for Canada. That more than anything may be why we haven't seen the best of him. 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Wouldn't mind it, honestly. I know he's a good impact sub, but who's to say he can't be a threat for 90?

Anyway, I can understand either starting and am completely fine with this. Shaf has proven his worth time and again. 

I just think Tajon is so out of sync and since this is a must win...

Just now, Obinna said:

But to add, Shaff would be the next one for me, after Laryea, even though I like him as a sub.

What about switching Tajon to the left and taking out Millar? I love what Liam has shown, but I am also curious to see what Tajon can do in his role. I've said before, I don't think Tajon is as good on the right. Everyone says he's out of form due to his minutes with Inter, and that could be true to an extent, but he's looked excellent in his limited Inter minutes, and he's played on the left for Inter.

But most importantly ....he hasn't played on the left for Canada. That more than anything may be why we haven't seen the best of him. 

It's a good point, but hard to take Millar out at this point. He's been fantastic. 

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

It's a good point, but hard to take Millar out at this point. He's been fantastic. 

I agree with that. He's been outstanding.

I get the sense that Millar is thriving in that role due to how he sees the game, maybe due to his Liverpool upbringing, who knows. 

Tajon is highly talented and plays at a mega club right now, but came through a different pathway, maybe he doesn't pick up on the little things Liam does playing that role. Just spitballing here. 

Just now, Obinna said:

I agree with that. He's been outstanding.

I get the sense that Millar is thriving in that role due to how he sees the game, maybe due to his Liverpool upbringing, who knows. 

Tajon is highly talented and plays at a mega club right now, but came through a different pathway, maybe he doesn't pick up on the little things Liam does playing that role. Just spitballing here. 

Crazy. I get that sense as well. 

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What Johnston said was admirable and a big showing of his excellent character, but that should not factor in whether he should start, at all. 

But that said, I agree that Johnston should start. Just saying if there were a change, that'd be the one for me, before Shaff going into the starting line up. I agree with Caldwell's take on it. Jacob is an impact player off the bench. 

Didn't mean that he should get starts because of his post, but more the fact that he's already a starter, he's already playing well, *and* him going to bat for his teammate in such a public manner is a clear sign of his character (which we all knew about), so even if it was a 50/50 between him starting and not- which it isn't- I think he's proven that he should get the benefit of the doubt. I do agree Shaff is better for us off the bench, but I think the same of Laryea too.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Somewhat hating the 5pm local time kick off, not sure we can play as effectively with our style in this heat, so I not sure what to expect 

Agree with this. Here in Kansas City, it is REALLY hot. Was 28C when I went for a run at 7 am, will be 35C, will feel like 38C, at match time. Not sure how that will affect both teams other than the pace will be slower than usual.

I should know better than to be too optimistic after 40 years of supporting this team, but I think this could be a breakout match with a multi-goal win. Canada needs to channel their inner Wizard of Oz here in Kansas and play with brains, heart and courage!

4 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Agree with this. Here in Kansas City, it is REALLY hot. Was 28C when I went for a run at 7 am, will be 35C, will feel like 38C, at match time. Not sure how that will affect both teams other than the pace will be slower than usual.

I should know better than to be too optimistic after 40 years of supporting this team, but I think this could be a breakout match with a multi-goal win. Canada needs to channel their inner Wizard of Oz here in Kansas and play with brains, heart and courage!

Someone who was at the stadium yesterday afternoon said the temperature on the pitch was almost 50 C.  Imagine if it wasn’t grass.

Marsch had been training the players very hard in Atlanta but has had to ramp it back because of the heat here.