Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

Via Josh Kloke

Peru coach Jorge Fossati on Canada: “They are a very physical team, dynamic and have fast transitions on the pitch. They can carry the ball, which is a great strength. Against Argentina, there was a thin line between strength and violence."

Call me a cynic but that is what a coach says while prepping his team (and the refs)  for a bit of simulation

2 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

It looks like it will be 28-29 C at game time so the heat is not really a factor…I also don’t but that Peru will want this more, that makes no sense.

If it’s 28-29 C tomorrow, I’ll happily buy you a beer.  It’s 34 C at noon and likely to hit 37-38 C plus 60% humidity.  Anything below 33 C at kick off will be considered a win.  

14 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Much appreciate your very informative posts about the Peru squad. But what is your basis for saying that they want it more?

The intensity that Peru and most other south american teams bring to games like this is simply on another level than the intensity Canada is used to playing with. I say this having watched 99% of both Canada and Peru's friendly and official games since the late 1990s.  The intensity and fight in south american soccer is palpable in the air.  International games in south america feel more like a fight to the death than a sporting event.  This is what I refer to when I say Peru will want it more.  They can bring more intensity.    

Now, perhaps Peru will not actually bring that intensity to this second group stage game against "lowly" Canada.  Every once in a while Peru shits the bed, but from everything I've been reading Peru and all other teams are taking Canada very seriously and respecting their ability to hurt good teams.  

Additionally, this game against Canada is THE GAME for Peru. Peru will have modest expectations against Argentina, even 1 point is not all that realistic.  This game will determine whether they get out of the group, and by all accounts will represent the turning point for Peru in moving on from their poor results in WCQ and actually being able to take a run at the world cup with their new generation and new coach once qualifying resumes.  Winning against Canada will breathe new life into Peru's program.  

This will be a tough, tough game for Canada but that's not to say Canada can't win.  We will get our chances just as we did against Argentina, but we can't fluff them this time.  Peru also usually needs a few good chances before they score so if we can keep it cleaner than we did against Argentina, Peru has just as much of a chance to be shut out as we do.  

If they can't hit us on the break, eventually Peru will gamble with overloads and possession in our third, basically they'll start playing keep away around our box, they'll keep it on the deck, passing it around again and again patiently looking for that incisive pass.  They do this twice or 3 times against every team when they're looking for a goal, even Brazil and Argentina.  As long as we can weather those storms and stick to the plan we used against Argentina, we can get something out of the game.  

41 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

The intensity that Peru and most other south american teams bring to games like this is simply on another level than the intensity Canada is used to playing with. I say this having watched 99% of both Canada and Peru's friendly and official games since the late 1990s.  The intensity and fight in south american soccer is palpable in the air.  International games in south america feel more like a fight to the death than a sporting event.  This is what I refer to when I say Peru will want it more.  They can bring more intensity.    

Now, perhaps Peru will not actually bring that intensity to this second group stage game against "lowly" Canada.  Every once in a while Peru shits the bed, but from everything I've been reading Peru and all other teams are taking Canada very seriously and respecting their ability to hurt good teams.  

Additionally, this game against Canada is THE GAME for Peru. Peru will have modest expectations against Argentina, even 1 point is not all that realistic.  This game will determine whether they get out of the group, and by all accounts will represent the turning point for Peru in moving on from their poor results in WCQ and actually being able to take a run at the world cup with their new generation and new coach once qualifying resumes.  Winning against Canada will breathe new life into Peru's program.  

This will be a tough, tough game for Canada but that's not to say Canada can't win.  We will get our chances just as we did against Argentina, but we can't fluff them this time.  Peru also usually needs a few good chances before they score so if we can keep it cleaner than we did against Argentina, Peru has just as much of a chance to be shut out as we do.  

If they can't hit us on the break, eventually Peru will gamble with overloads and possession in our third, basically they'll start playing keep away around our box, they'll keep it on the deck, passing it around again and again patiently looking for that incisive pass.  They do this twice or 3 times against every team when they're looking for a goal, even Brazil and Argentina.  As long as we can weather those storms and stick to the plan we used against Argentina, we can get something out of the game.  

Let’s hope we can match Peru’s intensity. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Is there a precedent to delaying a match due to excessive heat?

Is there a policy similar to what MLS uses?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/how-mls-measures-and-manages-extreme-heat-conditions-matches

• If the WBGT temperature reads at or above 92.3 F, the match will go into a delay. Similar to a severe weather delay, the match will not start or resume until it is safe to do so. During a delay, the referees will periodically take measurements until the temperature is safe.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

"Paging Richie Laryea"

If Peru were going to target a Canadian player (starter) to provoke an early red card, who would it be?

AJ can go from 0 to 60 pretty quick from what I have seen. Tajon can be pretty cranky too.

Edited by Pomoxis

2 minutes ago, Pomoxis said:

If Peru were going to target a Canadian player (starter) to provoke an early red card, who would it be?

AJ can go from 0 to 60 pretty quick from what I have seen.

Tajon is hot tempered as well.

Which players are on yellows? and need to worry about missing 3rd game with another yellow..I think Koné is on a yellow

Just now, pod818 said:

Tajon is hot tempered as well.

Which players are on yellows? and need to worry about missing 3rd game with another yellow..I think Koné is on a yellow

Koné, true. Larin maybe moreso with his mouth than his fists.

29 minutes ago, Pomoxis said:

AJ can go from 0 to 60 pretty quick from what I have seen. Tajon can be pretty cranky too.

I'd put my money on Tajon. Can't see Larin being pulled into too much. David, Davies, Eustaquio all seem pretty cool.

13 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Need Doneil, too, for some shithousery at the corner flag.

Everyone points to this.  But perhaps his most significant contribution to qualifying was laying out the Mexican player early in the Iceteca game.  It set the tone and let them know that it wasn't just the cold they had to worry about.

Nah, we're smarter than that. We won't be intimidated, but we won't take the bait, either. Marsch will have them ready. Unless Peru's team speed is as good as ours, I suspect they'll back away from the stupid antics once they're on their back heel a bit.  We aren't going to sit back; we're gonna take the game to them. Only one red card needed; let them take it.