Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

@BrennanFan I appreciate the Peru breakdown, but the claim they are a level above USA stuck out like a sore thumb. Did you mean "compete" level, or "talent" level?

If Peruvians are crminally underrated, I would say the Americans are criminally overrated. Many play at big clubs, but few are impactful. That said, USA would have a more talented side, no?

So Kansas City is a city that belongs to two different states ( province's) it really weird !!!  Anywho,  its gonna be scorching for canadians and Peruvians ,  I'm sure the stadium has some kind of refrigeration and cooling systems

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I mean 37 is hot dont get me wrong, but it's not like its 45 deg c....that would be a big jump as it'd be a record high.

I always thought Kansas was a cool state ,  all because of Jeepers Creepers 

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Kansas City is also in Kansas and that is where the game will take place.

Yeah I had to verify same city divided by a river and both states kept the name of the city 

It's like BERLIN HAHAHAHA 

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Kansas City, Kansas is an inner suburb of the older and more populous Kansas City, Missouri, after which it is named.

The Kansas City Chiefs and Royals might move to the Kansas side with a promise of new stadiums because Missouri voters have voted down major renos for Arrowhead.  

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/arrowhead-report/news/kansas-city-chiefs-moving-border-missouri-new-stadium-legislature-option

Edited by BearcatSA

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Mario Escobar of Guatemala is the referee for this match.

https://copaamerica.com/en/news/copa-america-2024-referee-appointments-matchday-2-group-c-d

Escobar could be bad for our chances. He was our ref when we played in June 2022 on a swamp of a pitch in San Pedro Sula Honduras.

He gave out yellow cards like candy on Halloween on that night two years ago. Johnston got a red and even Raheem Edwards got a red post-game.

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

So Kansas City is a city that belongs to two different states ( province's) it really weird !!!  Anywho,  its gonna be scorching for canadians and Peruvians ,  I'm sure the stadium has some kind of refrigeration and cooling systems

The Canada vs Peru match will be in Kansas City, Kansas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Mercy_Park

The USA vs Uruguay match will be in Kansas City, Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowhead_Stadium

It's 39km from one stadium to the other.

I see us likely starting the same starting XI as we started vs. Argentina, perhaps with Shaff in for Tajon as the one change.

As for Tajon, he just needs minutes to shake off the rust, find his touch and wheels, get his mojo back. Why not give him these minutes against Peru? I still prefer Shaff coming off the bench at 60 minutes if either one of Millar or Buchanan are struggling. 

But the heat is going to be a massive factor, fo shizzle.  Presuming we'll need all five subs, what might that look like? I'm thinking guys like Choiniere and Laryea will be good off the bench, and JRR to run his tail off for 20 or so minutes. Maybe Ahmed, depending on the score line at 60 minutes.

But, honestly, I hope Marsch and the CSA are pushing for a later start time. 37 degrees in either Kansas makes no sense for ANYONE, Toto.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Mario Escobar of Guatemala is the referee for this match.

https://copaamerica.com/en/news/copa-america-2024-referee-appointments-matchday-2-group-c-d

He was the ref for our 2-1 win over Mexico at Iceteca

He will have been at the helm for two Canada games with kickoff temperatures 46 degrees Celsius apart.

3 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Now look up Stanstead, Quebec and Derby Line, Vermont.

I think a bit of an unfortunate twist for this game is that the sports airwaves on Tuesday are going to be taken up almost entirely by the Edmonton/Florida result, whatever it happens to be.  TSN will still be pushing it, but I'd imagine every radio station will mostly ignore it simply because of game 7 the night before.

This truly is the game to show the maturity of this squad/program in moving forward. We’re actually still a very young squad when I think about it, as some of the core have been around for 3-5 years while being 25 and under, but it’s time. I think we’ve been back on the right track these last 3 games under Marsch. More cohesion, organization and pace that is more reminiscent of how we played during qualifying for Qatar. I just want to see this squad seize the moment at hand. Qualifying for the World Cup was a different type of success tactically played out over 8 months. To have this opportunity and advance out of a group stage in a major tournament would be a moment for the players and fans of this team to look back on with gratification that we have never had 

7 hours ago, costarg said:

Honestly, I understand the instinct to want to change things, but keep in mind, we over achieved vs the number 1 & 2 in the world.  If we really want to know how we're doing, I wouldn't change a thing.  We "should" beat both Peru and Chile with the same level of play from everyone.  The back 4 is working very well, Bombito and Cornelius only have 3 games together, it takes time to build the trust, familiarity and automatisms for a CB pairing.  I'm ok with them making mistakes and learning the new system and each other.  Give them 10 straight matches, let them make mistakes, we'll see how the big picture looks then.  I'd prefer to stop tinkering the positions and formations every single match "a la Herdman". 

The only thing I'm questioning is the 2 man middle.  It's a lot of work for Stache and Kone.  But I'm ok with giving them more time to figure it out.  We'll know more after the next two matches.  I expect Marsch to tweak things at that point.

I see where you and others are coming from but I would say that setting up to play 3 of the top 7 sides in the world is very different than playing someone closer to our ranking and who we should not fear in the same way. We should definitely set up differently for a Peru or a Chile than those 3. Whether that’s my chances, someone else’s or simply a different way of playing with the same starters, I expect changes from Marsch and would be disappointed if he didn’t change things somewhat. 

10 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Given that Peru is my second team and I follow them closely, I will provide all the information that I can:

Overview:

I could go on and on about the similarities (mostly problems) Peru and Canada share, but at present I will simply say that Peru's players are criminally underrated and undervalued in world football.  Peruvian players simply don't get the same opportunities and respect that lesser players of Uruguayan, Chilean and Colombian background get - nevermind Argentinians and Brazilians.  Don't put much stock in a Peruvian player's club trajectory to gauge where they are at.  

Keeper:

Gallese - simply put, he is Peru's best player and one of the top keepers in South America over the last 15 years.  I've seen him do unbelievable things over and over again.  Always brings his best to international games.  Better than Crepeau and Borjan in every way.  I'd even put him ahead of Forrest.  His performance in a do or die WCQ against Argentina in Buenos Aires in late 2017 was a pure masterclass against 90 minutes of constant, non stop pressure, by far the greatest performance from a keeper I've ever seen.  It's absolutely criminal that he never got an opportunity in Europe. Not much else to say, he is excellent and a proven star performer in the most difficult games South America has to offer.  He will be tough to beat.

Defence:

Peru has recently been playing with 3 centre backs but it would not surprise me to see them switch to 2 against Canada.

Zambrano is the veteran of the defensive core.  Played in Europe for 10 years, mostly in the Bundesliga before moving to Boca Juniors in 2020, he's now back at his youth club, Alianza Lima to close out his career.  His leadership and toughness still keeps him a starter.

Callens, Santamaria, Abram, Araujo - all are in their prime and all of them are very good, solid professionals.  Only Santamaria does not have European experience and to me, he's the best of the bunch, currently plays in Mexico.  Callens was formerly with NYCFC and is now at AEK Athens.  Abram and Araujo are in MLS.  Any one of them would be an automatic starter for Canada.  This defensive core is Peru's strength.  They are well organized and have been playing together for 8 years plus, and have solid WCQ experience.

Wingbacks: 

Advincula is Peru's captain for this tournament.  Heading into the 2018 World Cup he was named the world's fastest player, dethroning Bale.  At 34 years old, he still has his speed and power, currently with Boca Juniors.  Very dangerous going forward and can pick out a top corner with both feet.  He's the only Peruvian player that can even try to catch Phonzy and Tajon.  Subbed due to injury against Chile, if he doesn't play, it will be a huge blow to Peru's chances.  

Lopez is a left back currently with Feyenoord.  Quick, smart, and an excellent crosser of the ball.  He will give us problems all game.

Polo is a weird one.  Was with Inter Milan to start his career, before bouncing around South America, was with Portland recently before returning to his home club in Lima.  Every new Peru coach loves this guy and plays him, while I don't think he should be on the team.  He never does anything.  

Central Midfield:

Tapia (Feyenoord, Celta Vigo) is Peru's best midfielder, captain and on field leader, and luckily for Canada he is not playing in this tournament due to currently being out of contract and Peru being too cheap to cover his insurance in case of injury.  The stupidity involved in this mess is basically par for the course for the Peruvian federation.  Ridiculous does not cover this farce.  Ugh.  His absence hurts Peru more than losing Eustaquio would hurt us.

Cartagena is Tapia's replacement.  Currently with Orlando.  Lots of international experience.  Solid defensive mid.  Does not make mistakes, will be looking to solidify his place as a starter.

Pena (Malmo) and Reyna (Belgrano) are pure attacking midfielders, the type of player we simply don't produce and wouldn't fit into our system.  They are playmakers, in their prime, and they can score, but they are not game changers and sometimes get marked out of games by tight defenses.  I expect them both to play a role against Canada.

Quispe (Pumas) and Grimaldo are two young exciting attacking players seen as the next big things in Peruvian soccer.  They have been used centrally and on the wing.  Huge expectations for both of them, this is meant to be their break out tournament.  They are fast, insanely tricky players, again the likes of which we simply do not produce.  Let's hope the pressure gets to them.

Flores, Cueva and Carrillo are the heroes of 2018 WCQ who should not even be on the team anymore, maybe they will see some time as subs.  

Forwards:

Lapadula (Parma, AC Milan, Genoa, Cagliari) is a 34 year old Serie A veteran, scored 4 goals last year.  Good in the air, good with his feet, excellent vision.  Better pro than Larin, just more dependable at finishing his chances.  Not a superstar but a solid weapon to have, does what he needs to do, age has not yet caught up to him though that day is not far off.  

Guerrero (Bayern Munich, Corinthian, Flamengo, etc) at 40 years old is still the heart and soul of Peruvian soccer.  Peru's all time leading scorer, he always has managed to come up with the goods.  One of the best South American strikers of the last 20 years, easily on par with Suarez, Falcao, Aguero, the proof is in WCQ, numbers don't lie.  With age, his role is now limited to super sub, but he is still relied upon to score clutch goals. 

To summarize, getting a result against Peru will require Canada to play at their very best for the full 90.  Peru is a level above Mexico and USA, and this is exactly the level we should be aiming for at this point.  Peru will not be bothered with doing plenty of defending, Peru is built to absorb pressure and counter effectively.  In attack they will pick their spots well and at times will dominate possession and overload the attacking areas with intense pressure.  On the other hand they cannot match our speed or physicality and do not have anyone on par with Davies and David.  To avoid our speed, they will give us the ball, absorb our pressure, wait for us to make mistakes and look to hit us on the counter.  Peru is also very much a second half team and coming back from 1-nil deficits is kind of their thing.  This will be an excellent game and will show us exactly what we are made of. 

If I had to create one team out of both pools of players, it would look like this:

Lapadula --- David

Davies --- Eustaquio --- Pena --- Buchanan

Lopez --- Callens --- Santamaria --- Advincula

Gallese     

Thanks. But now you have scared the shit out of me.  

Ps. I agree with the comment that I think you are wrong if you think Peru is superior to the US and it kinda undermines your credibility with everything else you said if you honestly believe that. But just my take. Not trying to be offensive.