Copa America: Canada vs Peru - Tuesday, June 25th - 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific - Kansas City, Kansas

Canada vs Peru
Copa America, Group Stage, Match #2
Tuesday, June 25 2024
6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific / 5pm local and Central
Children's Mercy Park, Kansas City, Kansas

Broadcast in Canada:
TSN 1,3,4 & 5
CTV 2
RDS
TSN+ (online)

Broadcast in the USA:
Fox Sports 1

Canada's roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canmnt-announce-2024-copa-america-roster/
Since the roster was announced Junior Hoilett is out through injury and has been replaced by Joel Waterman
https://twitter.com/CANMNT_Official/status/1802385651251179939

Canadian players on a yellow card:
🟨 Cornelius
🟨 Koné

Canadian players that played a full match against Argentina:
Bombito
Cornelius
David
Davies
Eustáquio
Johnston
Crépeau (GK)

Canadian players that didn't play a single minute against Argentina:
Ahmed
Bair
Choinière
De Fougerolles
Hiebert
Miller
Oluwaseyi
Piette
Waterman
McGill (GK)
St. Clair (GK)

Peru's roster:
https://twitter.com/SeleccionPeru/status/1803606907610894450
Since the roster was announced Luis Advíncula was injured during their first match against Chile. It remains to be seen if he will be well enough to play

Weather:
34°C and partly cloudy 

Referee:
Mario Escobar of Guatemala

https://copaamerica.com/es/novedades/designacion-arbitros-fecha-2-grupos-a-b

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I suspect we will start the same 11 as last match but I wonder if we should put Ahmed in for Millar, Laryea for Buchanan and one of Bair or Tani for Larin.  You can play more a 3-5-2 going forward with Davies pressing forward and Ahmed moving inside in attack.  Bair or Tani are in form, unlike Larin, and should get chances against Peru in that set up which I have more confidence in them putting them away. And Laryea can certainly stir the shit and looks more in form than Buchanan.  It also means we have Larin, Millar, Shaff and Buchanan as options off the bench in the second half to run at a tired side in Peru who are definitely older. 

11 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I suspect we will start the same 11 as last match but I wonder if we should put Ahmed in for Millar, Laryea for Buchanan and one of Bair or Tani for Larin.  You can play more a 3-5-2 going forward with Davies pressing forward and Ahmed moving inside in attack.  Bair or Tani are in form, unlike Larin, and should get chances against Peru in that set up which I have more confidence in them putting them away. And Laryea can certainly stir the shit and looks more in form than Buchanan.  It also means we have Larin, Millar, Shaff and Buchanan as options off the bench in the second half to run at a tired side in Peru who are definitely older. 

Laryea looses his cool too easy , the peruvians would get in his head too quickly

Shaffelburg would be a nightmare for the peruvian defenders. Southamericans struggle against players like that. He would probably get foul over and over , creating chances for free kicks , red cards, penalties and open spaces for other players to get free 

1 hour ago, rick10 said:

Laryea looses his cool too easy , the peruvians would get in his head too quickly

Shaffelburg would be a nightmare for the peruvian defenders. Southamericans struggle against players like that. He would probably get foul over and over , creating chances for free kicks , red cards, penalties and open spaces for other players to get free 

I thought this was debunked already. Laryea has never received a red card in his professional career. He has won 11 penalties while conceding 1. I certainly don't think he should start, but this is not the reason why.

The two big questions for me, or three. 

Tajon needs to be more effective. How do we work that?

Larin and David need to be involved in goals, and in the first half I'd say. We need to break the drought. 

The high line is risky against any team and we must reduce the defensive risk situation. Nothing about those breakaway was specific to Argentina. 

Then there's the must win scenario in Marsch's first match with no excuse built in.

Peru 🇵🇪 defensively looked compact and tough to break down but then again so did Chile 🇨🇱 in their opening game especially in the final third. So can Canada break either of those teams down? Not to mention Gallese the Peruvian goalkeeper was pulling off top drawer saves and quite frankly so was Claudio Bravo for an old guy now.

40 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Peru 🇵🇪 defensively looked compact and tough to break down but then again so did Chile 🇨🇱 in their opening game especially in the final third. So can Canada break either of those teams down? Not to mention Gallese the Peruvian goalkeeper was pulling off top drawer saves and quite frankly so was Claudio Bravo for an old guy now.

I thought Peru was looser defensively in the middle, they did not apply an organised press and quite often their markers fell off and stopped pressing in the middle areas. Which is something we can exploit, as you say, at least to get into the final third more easily. 

I wonder if it will be a slight advantage that we will have an extra day rest. For all group stage matches they play the same day except for our case in the opener. Both flights to KC are short but we get there a day earlier.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

To state the obvious, this is a game Canada cannot afford to lose.  At worse they need a tie to control their destiny for the Chile game.  Any thought this is an easy win is foolish - this is an important batten down the hatches game.  Hopefully we have learned from the World Cup where the parallels are eerily similar, that is, strong first game against a World top team but a loss where everyone is high fiving the effort, but where the results did not follow in games 2 and 3.   

I agree with many here, adjust the high defensive line - to not do so is foolish and does not understand the realities of tournament football.  The goal is now, be aggressive but smart - and give yourself a chance to have a meaningful third game to get to the quarterfinals.  

Given that Peru is my second team and I follow them closely, I will provide all the information that I can:

Overview:

I could go on and on about the similarities (mostly problems) Peru and Canada share, but at present I will simply say that Peru's players are criminally underrated and undervalued in world football.  Peruvian players simply don't get the same opportunities and respect that lesser players of Uruguayan, Chilean and Colombian background get - nevermind Argentinians and Brazilians.  Don't put much stock in a Peruvian player's club trajectory to gauge where they are at.  

Keeper:

Gallese - simply put, he is Peru's best player and one of the top keepers in South America over the last 15 years.  I've seen him do unbelievable things over and over again.  Always brings his best to international games.  Better than Crepeau and Borjan in every way.  I'd even put him ahead of Forrest.  His performance in a do or die WCQ against Argentina in Buenos Aires in late 2017 was a pure masterclass against 90 minutes of constant, non stop pressure, by far the greatest performance from a keeper I've ever seen.  It's absolutely criminal that he never got an opportunity in Europe. Not much else to say, he is excellent and a proven star performer in the most difficult games South America has to offer.  He will be tough to beat.

Defence:

Peru has recently been playing with 3 centre backs but it would not surprise me to see them switch to 2 against Canada.

Zambrano is the veteran of the defensive core.  Played in Europe for 10 years, mostly in the Bundesliga before moving to Boca Juniors in 2020, he's now back at his youth club, Alianza Lima to close out his career.  His leadership and toughness still keeps him a starter.

Callens, Santamaria, Abram, Araujo - all are in their prime and all of them are very good, solid professionals.  Only Santamaria does not have European experience and to me, he's the best of the bunch, currently plays in Mexico.  Callens was formerly with NYCFC and is now at AEK Athens.  Abram and Araujo are in MLS.  Any one of them would be an automatic starter for Canada.  This defensive core is Peru's strength.  They are well organized and have been playing together for 8 years plus, and have solid WCQ experience.

Wingbacks: 

Advincula is Peru's captain for this tournament.  Heading into the 2018 World Cup he was named the world's fastest player, dethroning Bale.  At 34 years old, he still has his speed and power, currently with Boca Juniors.  Very dangerous going forward and can pick out a top corner with both feet.  He's the only Peruvian player that can even try to catch Phonzy and Tajon.  Subbed due to injury against Chile, if he doesn't play, it will be a huge blow to Peru's chances.  

Lopez is a left back currently with Feyenoord.  Quick, smart, and an excellent crosser of the ball.  He will give us problems all game.

Polo is a weird one.  Was with Inter Milan to start his career, before bouncing around South America, was with Portland recently before returning to his home club in Lima.  Every new Peru coach loves this guy and plays him, while I don't think he should be on the team.  He never does anything.  

Central Midfield:

Tapia (Feyenoord, Celta Vigo) is Peru's best midfielder, captain and on field leader, and luckily for Canada he is not playing in this tournament due to currently being out of contract and Peru being too cheap to cover his insurance in case of injury.  The stupidity involved in this mess is basically par for the course for the Peruvian federation.  Ridiculous does not cover this farce.  Ugh.  His absence hurts Peru more than losing Eustaquio would hurt us.

Cartagena is Tapia's replacement.  Currently with Orlando.  Lots of international experience.  Solid defensive mid.  Does not make mistakes, will be looking to solidify his place as a starter.

Pena (Malmo) and Reyna (Belgrano) are pure attacking midfielders, the type of player we simply don't produce and wouldn't fit into our system.  They are playmakers, in their prime, and they can score, but they are not game changers and sometimes get marked out of games by tight defenses.  I expect them both to play a role against Canada.

Quispe (Pumas) and Grimaldo are two young exciting attacking players seen as the next big things in Peruvian soccer.  They have been used centrally and on the wing.  Huge expectations for both of them, this is meant to be their break out tournament.  They are fast, insanely tricky players, again the likes of which we simply do not produce.  Let's hope the pressure gets to them.

Flores, Cueva and Carrillo are the heroes of 2018 WCQ who should not even be on the team anymore, maybe they will see some time as subs.  

Forwards:

Lapadula (Parma, AC Milan, Genoa, Cagliari) is a 34 year old Serie A veteran, scored 4 goals last year.  Good in the air, good with his feet, excellent vision.  Better pro than Larin, just more dependable at finishing his chances.  Not a superstar but a solid weapon to have, does what he needs to do, age has not yet caught up to him though that day is not far off.  

Guerrero (Bayern Munich, Corinthian, Flamengo, etc) at 40 years old is still the heart and soul of Peruvian soccer.  Peru's all time leading scorer, he always has managed to come up with the goods.  One of the best South American strikers of the last 20 years, easily on par with Suarez, Falcao, Aguero, the proof is in WCQ, numbers don't lie.  With age, his role is now limited to super sub, but he is still relied upon to score clutch goals. 

To summarize, getting a result against Peru will require Canada to play at their very best for the full 90.  Peru is a level above Mexico and USA, and this is exactly the level we should be aiming for at this point.  Peru will not be bothered with doing plenty of defending, Peru is built to absorb pressure and counter effectively.  In attack they will pick their spots well and at times will dominate possession and overload the attacking areas with intense pressure.  On the other hand they cannot match our speed or physicality and do not have anyone on par with Davies and David.  To avoid our speed, they will give us the ball, absorb our pressure, wait for us to make mistakes and look to hit us on the counter.  Peru is also very much a second half team and coming back from 1-nil deficits is kind of their thing.  This will be an excellent game and will show us exactly what we are made of. 

If I had to create one team out of both pools of players, it would look like this:

Lapadula --- David

Davies --- Eustaquio --- Pena --- Buchanan

Lopez --- Callens --- Santamaria --- Advincula

Gallese     

Edited by BrennanFan

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Just landed in KC.  Forecast high tomorrow is 38 C and on Tuesday it will be 37 C (not including humidity).  This will be a rough one on the players and fans.

🥵

Early start feeling like a bad idea that just keeps getting worse. 

16 hours ago, An Observer said:

Honestly, I understand the instinct to want to change things, but keep in mind, we over achieved vs the number 1 & 2 in the world.  If we really want to know how we're doing, I wouldn't change a thing.  We "should" beat both Peru and Chile with the same level of play from everyone.  The back 4 is working very well, Bombito and Cornelius only have 3 games together, it takes time to build the trust, familiarity and automatisms for a CB pairing.  I'm ok with them making mistakes and learning the new system and each other.  Give them 10 straight matches, let them make mistakes, we'll see how the big picture looks then.  I'd prefer to stop tinkering the positions and formations every single match "a la Herdman". 

The only thing I'm questioning is the 2 man middle.  It's a lot of work for Stache and Kone.  But I'm ok with giving them more time to figure it out.  We'll know more after the next two matches.  I expect Marsch to tweak things at that point.

Edited by costarg

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Given that Peru is my second team and I follow them closely, I will provide all the information that I can:

Overview:

I could go on and on about the similarities (mostly problems) Peru and Canada share, but at present I will simply say that Peru's players are criminally underrated and undervalued in world football.  Peruvian players simply don't get the same opportunities and respect that lesser players of Uruguayan, Chilean and Colombian background get - nevermind Argentinians and Brazilians.  Don't put much stock in a Peruvian player's club trajectory to gauge where they are at.  

Keeper:

Gallese - simply put, he is Peru's best player and one of the top keepers in South America over the last 15 years.  I've seen him do unbelievable things over and over again.  Always brings his best to international games.  Better than Crepeau and Borjan in every way.  I'd even put him ahead of Forrest.  His performance in a do or die WCQ against Argentina in Buenos Aires in late 2017 was a pure masterclass against 90 minutes of constant, non stop pressure, by far the greatest performance from a keeper I've ever seen.  It's absolutely criminal that he never got an opportunity in Europe. Not much else to say, he is excellent and a proven star performer in the most difficult games South America has to offer.  He will be tough to beat.

Defence:

Peru has recently been playing with 3 centre backs but it would not surprise me to see them switch to 2 against Canada.

Zambrano is the veteran of the defensive core.  Played in Europe for 10 years, mostly in the Bundesliga before moving to Boca Juniors in 2020, he's now back at his youth club, Alianza Lima to close out his career.  His leadership and toughness still keeps him a starter.

Callens, Santamaria, Abram, Araujo - all are in their prime and all of them are very good, solid professionals.  Only Santamaria does not have European experience and to me, he's the best of the bunch, currently plays in Mexico.  Callens was formerly with NYCFC and is now at AEK Athens.  Abram and Araujo are in MLS.  Any one of them would be an automatic starter for Canada.  This defensive core is Peru's strength.  They are well organized and have been playing together for 8 years plus, and have solid WCQ experience.

Wingbacks: 

Advincula is Peru's captain for this tournament.  Heading into the 2018 World Cup he was named the world's fastest player, dethroning Bale.  At 34 years old, he still has his speed and power, currently with Boca Juniors.  Very dangerous going forward and can pick out a top corner with both feet.  He's the only Peruvian player that can even try to catch Phonzy and Tajon.  Subbed due to injury against Chile, if he doesn't play, it will be a huge blow to Peru's chances.  

Lopez is a left back currently with Feyenoord.  Quick, smart, and an excellent crosser of the ball.  He will give us problems all game.

Polo is a weird one.  Was with Inter Milan to start his career, before bouncing around South America, was with Portland recently before returning to his home club in Lima.  Every new Peru coach loves this guy and plays him, while I don't think he should be on the team.  He never does anything.  

Central Midfield:

Tapia (Feyenoord, Celta Vigo) is Peru's best midfielder, captain and on field leader, and luckily for Canada he is not playing in this tournament due to currently being out of contract and Peru being too cheap to cover his insurance in case of injury.  The stupidity involved in this mess is basically par for the course for the Peruvian federation.  Ridiculous does not cover this farce.  Ugh.  His absence hurts Peru more than losing Eustaquio would hurt us.

Cartagena is Tapia's replacement.  Currently with Orlando.  Lots of international experience.  Solid defensive mid.  Does not make mistakes, will be looking to solidify his place as a starter.

Pena (Malmo) and Reyna (Belgrano) are pure attacking midfielders, the type of player we simply don't produce and wouldn't fit into our system.  They are playmakers, in their prime, and they can score, but they are not game changers and sometimes get marked out of games by tight defenses.  I expect them both to play a role against Canada.

Quispe (Pumas) and Grimaldo are two young exciting attacking players seen as the next big things in Peruvian soccer.  They have been used centrally and on the wing.  Huge expectations for both of them, this is meant to be their break out tournament.  They are fast, insanely tricky players, again the likes of which we simply do not produce.  Let's hope the pressure gets to them.

Flores, Cueva and Carrillo are the heroes of 2018 WCQ who should not even be on the team anymore, maybe they will see some time as subs.  

Forwards:

Lapadula (Parma, AC Milan, Genoa, Cagliari) is a 34 year old Serie A veteran, scored 4 goals last year.  Good in the air, good with his feet, excellent vision.  Better pro than Larin, just more dependable at finishing his chances.  Not a superstar but a solid weapon to have, does what he needs to do, age has not yet caught up to him though that day is not far off.  

Guerrero (Bayern Munich, Corinthian, Flamengo, etc) at 40 years old is still the heart and soul of Peruvian soccer.  Peru's all time leading scorer, he always has managed to come up with the goods.  One of the best South American strikers of the last 20 years, easily on par with Suarez, Falcao, Aguero, the proof is in WCQ, numbers don't lie.  With age, his role is now limited to super sub, but he is still relied upon to score clutch goals. 

To summarize, getting a result against Peru will require Canada to play at their very best for the full 90.  Peru is a level above Mexico and USA, and this is exactly the level we should be aiming for at this point.  Peru will not be bothered with doing plenty of defending, Peru is built to absorb pressure and counter effectively.  In attack they will pick their spots well and at times will dominate possession and overload the attacking areas with intense pressure.  On the other hand they cannot match our speed or physicality and do not have anyone on par with Davies and David.  To avoid our speed, they will give us the ball, absorb our pressure, wait for us to make mistakes and look to hit us on the counter.  Peru is also very much a second half team and coming back from 1-nil deficits is kind of their thing.  This will be an excellent game and will show us exactly what we are made of. 

If I had to create one team out of both pools of players, it would look like this:

Lapadula --- David

Davies --- Eustaquio --- Pena --- Buchanan

Lopez --- Callens --- Santamaria --- Advincula

Gallese     

You should share this with Marsch man.

24 minutes ago, costarg said:

Honestly, I understand the instinct to want to change things, but keep in mind, we over achieved vs the number 1 & 2 in the world.  If we really want to know how we're doing, I wouldn't change a thing.

Gives me vibes of Game 4, Canada Russia 72 in Vancouver.  They made changes to the lineup when they thought they were safe to do so but weren't quite ready to do, and it failed miserably.

Don't change anything and use the same subs if you have to.  This isn't the time to introduce new guys when there is something on the line and players are just learning to gel.

We still don't know positively if this is the Holland Canada or the France Canada, I believe the latter but it's not proven, yet.

With your pool of players avail I would go with 

...,...............Creapeau ...................

..Johnston  Waterman ...Cornelius 

Buchanan. Eustkio Bombito Davies

Shaffelburg.      Larin.        David 

4 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

I didn't know Kansas City and the State of Kansas were really hot during the summers 

Isn't that odd ? It should be milder

nope. 37 deg C is a little above seasonal, but definitely not uncommon for that region..

5 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

I didn't know Kansas City and the State of Kansas were really hot during the summers 

Isn't that odd ? It should be milder

Actually, Kansas City is in Missouri. Don't feel bad. Trump made the same mistake when he was president. 

5 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

Actually, Kansas City is in Missouri. Don't feel bad. Trump made the same mistake when he was president. 

I always hated The wonderful wizard of Oz .  The other reference I gave if that zone is Jeepers Creepers so ,  as a southamerican I laugh that Donny boy made the same mistake