Copa America Other Matches + Group A

29 minutes ago, costarg said:

Sportsmanship important in pro sports?  Yes, absolutely, its important.  These guys are roll models.  But also, respect towards your opponent should be the baseline for any athlete.  It keeps you honest and respectful when you know you'll look the guy in the eyes immediately following the match.

The Venn diagram of athletes who don't shake hands and are dirty and cheap shot artists is a perfect circle.

I'd extend that Venn diagram to include individuals who don't see the value of a handshake and see it as a meaningless tradition. 

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm playing catch-up here.....

In my nearly 5 decades on earth, I've been a player, coach, and referee. As a player and coach, I've generally tended to shake hands with most opponents at the end of a match. I wouldn't go too far out of my way to do it, though, unless the particular opposing player had done something remarkable in the match. As a referee, I tend to stand close to the center circle at the conclusion of the match at least until my ARs have made it across and will shake the hands of any player or coach who approaches me. However, if somebody behaves like a bellend, as Pulisic was doing, I'd tell them to go get fucked before I shook their hand. It's not like Pulisic acted out during the game and offered his hand to the referee as a gesture of letting bygones be bygones. He was literally abusing the man while he was extending his hand. I'm with the referee on this one, 100%!

Classy.

35 minutes ago, costarg said:

Sportsmanship important in pro sports?  Yes, absolutely, its important.  These guys are roll models.  But also, respect towards your opponent should be the baseline for any athlete.  It keeps you honest and respectful when you know you'll look the guy in the eyes immediately following the match.

The Venn diagram of athletes who don't shake hands and are dirty and cheap shot artists is a perfect circle.

Outright hilarious take.  If anything the cheap shot artists are usually the first ones in the handshake line.

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

"I'm extending my hand to you as a sign of respect. Just forget how I behaved towards you for the entirety of the preceding 90 minutes."

Literally yes! The whole point is that soccer is a game and you are playing a fun activity in front of fans who want to be entertained. The second the final whistle blows, all should be forgotten except for like, racist/offensive comments or if a player tries to injure another. Pulisic was acting up, but the ref is an official, his standards of professionalism should be higher than the player’s. 

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

"I'm extending my hand to you as a sign of respect. Just forget how I behaved towards you for the entirety of the preceding 90 minutes."

Exactly. It's a game of soccer. You shake hands and move on with your day. People say and do stupid shit in the heat of the game. It's still a game. Nobody killed your first born child. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Literally yes! The whole point is that soccer is a game and you are playing a fun activity in front of fans who want to be entertained. The second the final whistle blows, all should be forgotten except for like, racist/offensive comments or if a player tries to injure another. Pulisic was acting up, but the ref is an official, his standards of professionalism should be higher than the player’s. 

Exactly this. Saying and doing stupid shit in the heat of a game does have it's limits.

But even then, if someone got carried away and went well beyond the threshold, but then post-game walked up to you, said they were wrong, and apologized while reached out to shake your hand?

Then I would say it's really up to you and probably would depend on how much sincerity you felf from the person and whether or not you could accept their mistake and apology. 

I could understand not shaking someones hand in that extreme circumstance, I'll say that much. 

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Exactly. It's a game of soccer. You shake hands and move on with your day. People say and do stupid shit in the heat of the game. It's still a game. Nobody killed your first born child. 

I see lots of guys discussing a tackle or a call with someone on the other side, sometimes with a little vigour. 

If there is a tradition, like shaking hands with the ref or the other manager, it shows your ability to move on, and your civility, to participate.  If it isn't a tradition, like shaking hands with all the other players, not a big deal if its missed. 

Acknowledging the support is a much bigger deal for me. They are the reason you can do what you do. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

32 minutes ago, theaub said:

Outright hilarious take.  If anything the cheap shot artists are usually the first ones in the handshake line.

Interesting. I've played sports my whole life and never noticed that trend.

But now that you mention it, I was playing O35 a few weeks ago, there was a guy who called me something or another and gave me a shove because I stood on their keeper on a corner kick. 

I am glad we shook hands.

Again, it shows the game is over and we all move on. If anything, it would have felt shitty if we didn't shake hands. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not trying to extend this any longer, but in my family we have what is called the uninvite.  You have no intention of inviting someone to a family event, so you call them that morning etc, and they have no way of complying.  ie You know they are gone for the weekend so you invite them over for a BBQ and they say no but you can tell your mom well at least i invited them.  

Seems to me Pusilic was offering the "unshake", he was verbally going off on the ref, had no intention of burying the hatchet or letting anything go, insinuating the ref should celebrate with the other team and he is biased etc.  And then he sticks out his hand.   A phoney worthless gesture considering what he just said.  You are a bigger man than I am Obinna, I wouldnt have shaken Pusilic hand either, and I think Pusilic knew exactly what he was doing.   

31 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Not trying to extend this any longer, but in my family we have what is called the uninvite.  You have no intention of inviting someone to a family event, so you call them that morning etc, and they have no way of complying.  ie You know they are gone for the weekend so you invite them over for a BBQ and they say no but you can tell your mom well at least i invited them.  

Seems to me Pusilic was offering the "unshake", he was verbally going off on the ref, had no intention of burying the hatchet or letting anything go, insinuating the ref should celebrate with the other team and he is biased etc.  And then he sticks out his hand.   A phoney worthless gesture considering what he just said.  You are a bigger man than I am Obinna, I wouldnt have shaken Pusilic hand either, and I think Pusilic knew exactly what he was doing.   

Yeah I get that people deal with that kind of thing differently.

Maybe shaking his hand would've helped that little boy cope and sleep better at night :D