Copa America Other Matches + Group A

39 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It was a red - he left his feet and jumped in, from behind, and studs right through his ankle with no touch on the ball.  But it is also seems no worse than some other tackles that have been overlooked.  

Yeah NANDEZ former Boca Jr's iconic player went to the ball unnecessarily,  he sometimes tries too much too soon.  

When you go for a sliding tackle you should be 110% sure you will contact the ball first 

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Euros' final 4: England, Holland, France, Spain.

Copa final 4: Argentina, Canada, Uruguay, Colombia.

Giants of football!

😄 

The Irish won't agree with you,  once just once,  they stop their shenanigans and hire a proper international coach,  hajahahs

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

Canadá and Uruguay are the Bulgaria and Rumania of USA 1994

Not marketing enough the budget is in red 

I didn't know the USA had so many South Americans living up there on that painful land.  

Venezuelans Colombians ecuatorianos Brazilians Chileans argues etc etc

You must not watched conmebol soccer too often but Uruguay is top contender in South America. They have won more copa americas than anyone else..

uruguay is the portugal of south america.. u just never know with them 

3 minutes ago, rick10 said:

You must not watched conmebol soccer too often but Uruguay is top contender in South America. They have won more copa americas than anyone else..

uruguay is the portugal of south america.. u just never know with them 

I know them ,  but for tickets sales... I remember Bulgaria in USA 1994

The Americans went nuts in that wasteland when Bulgaria eliminated the Greeks ,  the Mexicans and then the fracking Germans...there were 1000 of Bulgarians on the stands as for Rumania too they took us and Colombia out and sent the Americans to a doomsday Vs Romario and Bebeto' Brazil 

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Euros' final 4: England, Holland, France, Spain.

Copa final 4: Argentina, Canada, Uruguay, Colombia.

Giants of football!

😄 

Just to give some historical perspective on the 'one (and a half) of these things is not like the others' nature of Canada's position among the giants of footballhere is the historical World Cup and Euro/Copa record for these 8 teams:

Prior to 2024:

England: 1 World Cup Win, 2 Other Top 4 Appearances / 1 Euro runner-up, 2 other top 4 appearances

Holland: 3x runner-up at World Cup, 2 Other Top 4 Appearances / 1 Euro Win, 4 other top 4 appearances

France: 2 World Cup Wins, 2x Runners-up, 2 other top 4 appearances / 2 Euro Wins, 2 other top 4 appearances

Spain: 1 World Cup win, 1 other top 4 appearance / 3 Euro Wins, 1 Euro runners-up, 1 other top 4 appearance

Argentina: 3 World Cup wins, 3 times runners-up / 15 Copa Wins, 14 Copa runners-up, 7 other top 4 appearances

Uruguay: 2 World Cup wins, 3 other top 4 appearances / 15 Copa wins, 6 Copa runners-up, 14 other top 4 appearances

Colombia: 2x round of 16 at World Cup / 1 Copa win, 1 Copa runners-up, 6 other Copa top 4 appearances

Canada: 2 appearances, no points at World Cup / No Copa appearances (2 gold cup wins, 5 other Gold Cup top 4 appearances)

Posted (edited)

to me the real test for the canadian side really starts here...

We lost first game against argentina , then we beat Peru but the game felt like would've gone the other way if we were playing 11 vs 11 and then we ran into the same situation against Chile playing one man less but we tied the game. To me it felt like we got "lucky" somehow on how the situation played out for us in the group stage. 

Then , we tied against Venezuela who is mid tier in conmebol in 90 minutes. That was a war of a game on the field. 

It still feels like we are unproven yet , but it also feels like we can pull it out. Even though we lost the first game against argentina , I feel like that was our best game , where we showed that we are in this tournament to compete. For some reason the games after that it felt like we were vulnerable against " lesser" competition ( compared to argentina) , results also showed that we only won 1 game in the 90th minute and the only team we beat was a team with a man short. 

Watching some of the conmebol press and american press , they praise the canadian team for making it to the semis  but many still think we are in the semis by a combination of factors that don't have to do with how good we really are. I think its time we prove that we are not a Cinderella story in this tournament

The good thing is that we still got two games left and we are now facing the top of the conmebol competition , I m really excited to see how we do against them.  Argentina didnt look too good against us on our first game , they dont like to be pressure so high , Im not sure we can keep up that pace for 90  minutes, but if we can put away our chances earlier on , I think we can really finish them on the counters

Edited by rick10

12 minutes ago, rick10 said:

to me the real test for the canadian side really starts here...

We lost first game against argentina , then we beat Peru but the game felt like would've gone the other way if we were playing 11 vs 11 and then we ran into the same situation against Chile playing one man less but we tied the game. To me it felt like we got "lucky" somehow on how the situation played out for us in the group stage. 

Then , we tied against Venezuela who is mid tier in conmebol in 90 minutes. That was a war of a game on the field. 

It still feels like we are unproven yet , but it also feels like we can pull it out. Even though we lost the first game against argentina , I feel like that was our best game , where we showed that we are in this tournament to compete. For some reason the games after that it felt like we were vulnerable against " lesser" competition ( compared to argentina) , results also showed that we only won 1 game in the 90th minute and the only team we beat was a team with a man short. 

Watching some of the conmebol press and american press , they praise the canadian team for making it to the semis  but many still think we are in the semis by a combination of factors that don't have to do with how good we really are. I think its time we prove that we are not a Cinderella story in this tournament

The good thing is that we still got two games left and we are now facing the top of the conmebol competition , I m really excited to see how we do against them.  Argentina didnt look too good against us on our first game , they dont like to be pressure so high , Im not sure we can keep up that pace for 90  minutes, but if we can put away our chances earlier on , I think we can really finish them on the counters

The real test started the first game against Argentina and we did well enough to pass in our third, fourth, fifth and sixth games under a new coach. 

Luck can be a part of any tournament but it is also about staying in there having the determination to ride and take advantage of yours.

We are the Cinderella story of this tournament and certainly will be if we win another game or two.  There is the opposite of shame in that. 

8 minutes ago, The Ref said:

In spite of some questionable calls and some missing calls Colombia was superior to Uruguay today.  I hope our boys work together and win 3rd. place on Saturday.

Agreed, Colombia is a nice team. Very fit, dynamic, technically strong, quite an impressive side.

Uruguay is more similar to Argentina, they are not quite as technical and won't push us physically. Only that, as mentioned, we'll probably rotate, and though they will as well, they have a deeper roster for it. 

I'm a bit sad we can't compete all out for the 3rd place but it'd be irresponsible considering guys have been away from their clubs or families or deserved vacations for 40 days.

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Why is everyone been so surprised to see so many Colombians and Venezuelans. Have people not been watching the news the last 3 years?

Forget where I saw it but chap was saying almost a third of Venezuela's population has quit the country over the last 12 years.

Don't know if that's accurate, insane if it is, but hard not to believe a heavy number have gone looking for greener pastures.

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

People jump a wall to get in a stadium.. This is a disaster! Who the f is in charge of this mess????

People jump a wall to get in to a country..  meh

Yeah I can imagine in 2026 it will probably be much worse

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

Forget where I saw it but chap was saying almost a third of Venezuela's population has quit the country over the last 12 years.

Don't know if that's accurate, insane if it is, but hard not to believe a heavy number have gone looking for greener pastures.

That has been a big takeaway for me. Mexicans don't even seem to be the dominant Latin American community in America anymore. They've mostly become integrated 2nd 3rd generation Americans compared to these other countries 

18 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

The figure I saw was an estimate of over 7 million emigrants since 2015.  With a population of around 29 million, that equates to 25% of the population in the last 9 years have left the country.  Pretty crazy. 

Edited by GasPed