Copa America Other Matches + Group A

51 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Unless I'm wrong about the tiebreaking rules, not much on the line tonight in Group D. Costa Rica needs to win big and Brazil lose big in order for Costa Rica to advance.

You're not wrong, but Costa Rica, is going for it - up by 2 already - they have cut the goal difference from 6 to 4 :) Maybe Colombia can help them (and Uruguay) out a little bit 

7 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

One of the best parts of the NHL playoffs is the handshake at the end of the series. These teams go to war against each other for up to 7 games and still will show respect win or lose and shake hands after. The referee in this situation embarrassed himself imo. 

Funny, cause I think the handshake tradition in the NHL is the most pathetic and worst traditions in all of pro sports. 

All sports, from MMA, to boxing, to Australian Rules Football, to Rugby, tennis, ping pong, soccer and even American football opposing teams and athletes shake hands after EVERY single match.  The idea of sportsmanship goes all the way back to the Olympics.  Only in the NHL do teams not shake hands after every match, they retreat to their individual dressing rooms with no show of sportsmanship.  It sets a horrible example for the kids as well as encouraging goons and lack of accountability by not facing your opponent face to face without helmets following competition.  I always hated that and hope my kids never choose to play the sport, the pros are not roll models, and even the junior leagues are toxic environments.  

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Funny, cause I think the handshake tradition in the NHL is the most pathetic and worst traditions in all of pro sports. 

All sports, from MMA, to boxing, to Australian Rules Football, to Rugby, tennis, ping pong, soccer and even American football opposing teams and athletes shake hands after EVERY single match.  The idea of sportsmanship goes all the way back to the Olympics.  Only in the NHL do teams not shake hands after every match, they retreat to their individual dressing rooms with no show of sportsmanship.  It sets a horrible example for the kids as well as encouraging goons and lack of accountability by not facing your opponent face to face without helmets following competition.  I always hated that and hope my kids never choose to play the sport, the pros are not roll models, and even the junior leagues are toxic environments.  

Think that's a little selective.

It was done in all the minor hockey, I and my nephews participated in.

It is not required in football and, in regular games, it does and doesn't happen, depending on the player or game.

There are toxic environments for kids in football and others sports, with or without it, of course.

53 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It was done in all the minor hockey, I and my nephews participated in.

Yup, it's done in minor hockey, but the pros they watch do not do it.  That's what's sad.  It's a terrible example.

53 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is not required in football and, in regular games, it does and doesn't happen, depending on the player or game.

Not required, but it's done and expected.  Cameras show lots of American Football players hugging and chatting, not just shaking hands.  MMA, boxers, etc... show lots of respect to each other.  There are obviously exceptions, but it's still a high percentage that do it and more importantly, mean it. 

I feel that shows class and the importance of separating the intense feelings that come with competition and real life.  I'm sure there are some other examples, but most sports do it, and I feel the NHL should do better.  Looking at an opponent eye to eye reduces cheap shots and senseless violence which are all too common in hockey.

Edit:  Baseball?  I don't think most players shake hands in baseball either.  But I know some do as well as coaches.

Edited by costarg

39 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Undefeated against both in official A competitive matches but we do well against Colombia in finals. 

And we would have beat Brazil in '94 in added time but they didn't give us the chance - Eddy Berdusco would have potted a 2nd. Plus the Brazilian goalie was off his line every single time in PK's in '84 Olympics or we would have beaten Brazil then too. 🤣 (Canada asked to play more added time until someone scored; sadly Kerry Fraser was busy combing his hair and did not officiate that game or else Dale Mitchell would have scored his 4th in triple OT.)

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Unless I'm wrong about the tiebreaking rules, not much on the line tonight in Group D. Costa Rica needs to win big and Brazil lose big in order for Costa Rica to advance.

The part that I thought still gave Colombia and Brazil something to play for was potential quarter-final opponent. If Brazil had won the game (and the group), they would have avoided Uruguay in the quarter-final and would have played Panama instead.

4 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

The part that I thought still gave Colombia and Brazil something to play for was potential quarter-final opponent. If Brazil had won the game (and the group), they would have avoided Uruguay in the quarter-final and would have played Panama instead.

And given that Uruguay vs Brazil is almost a pick 'em, I'd say both had a lot to play for. If nothing else than to save money on cracked shin guards and ice packs. Meanwhile...Panama has a 10% chance to win in 90 minutes over Colombia; makes Ecuador look like a sure thing to advance.

34 minutes ago, costarg said:

Yup, it's done in minor hockey, but the pros they watch do not do it.  That's what's sad.  It's a terrible example.

Not required, but it's done and expected.  Cameras show lots of American Football players hugging and chatting, not just shaking hands.  MMA, boxers, etc... show lots of respect to each other.  There are obviously exceptions, but it's still a high percentage that do it and more importantly, mean it. 

I feel that shows class and the importance of separating the intense feelings that come with competition and real life.  I'm sure there are some other examples, but most sports do it, and I feel the NHL should do better.  Looking at an opponent eye to eye reduces cheap shots and senseless violence which are all too common in hockey.

Edit:  Baseball?  I don't think most players shake hands in baseball either.  But I know some do as well as coaches.

Its honestly strange to me that you think it is that important.

It's not done a lot of the time or expected in football. In a regular game, I would doubt any player shakes the hands or an equivalent of the entire opposition.  They greet console/congratulate their own team and then their friends on the other side/ acknowledge people passing but honestly not sure where you get the idea that they all shake hands.

Go to games in Europe. You are expected to  acknowledge the supporters, especially away.  I have seen lots of upset post or stories or heard discussions when players omit that.

Never heard any player upset when his hand wasn't shook. Sam Allardyce was upset once that an opposition manager didn't come have wine with him after a game, which apparently was a tradition. That's as close as I can think of.

I will go back and check the West Ham games I have recorded to make sure, if they bother showing it.

Edit: Looked quickly, players and the manager do go out of their way to thank the officials or have one last moan. (Like Pulisic) They acknowledge people they see on the way there and back.  And barring that speak positively or negatively to the opposition they know but it's mostly it's their own side.

I will say England think it is weird that we have to sing the anthem before ever game.  "Did you forget what country you are in?"

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

16 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

Not sure anyone had this on their pre-tournament bingo card:

Costa Rica (in a group with Colombia and Brazil) finishing the group stage with more points than the US.

Pretty respectable performance from them, given the group they were in, and that they have turned over much of their roster and had the youngest team at the Copa. Basically the same results as Canada, a 1 goal win, a scoreless draw and a multi-goal loss. It is possible they are heading back in the right direction again.

10 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Pretty respectable performance from them, given the group they were in, and that they have turned over much of their roster and had the youngest team at the Copa. Basically the same results as Canada, a 1 goal win, a scoreless draw and a multi-goal loss. It is possible they are heading back in the right direction again.

Agreed. They have a nice crop of youngsters coming up together. Not sure they’ll be comparable to the team 10 years ago but nonetheless it’s a positive for them. 

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, not sure why I have such a strong dislike for the USA and celebrate their failures…

Oh but the better amongst have spent all day telling us how lovely they are. They've been giving me hell all day for not having the same fawning opinion as they do. 

I like American music, novelists, playwrights, artists, architects, choreographers....allow me to enjoy hating at least one despicable corner of their society in the form of their entire soccer program male female fans and press.

Not the stadiums, though, quite like the soccer stadiums. Though I guess it's what I was saying about architects.

I'm playing catch-up here.....

In my nearly 5 decades on earth, I've been a player, coach, and referee. As a player and coach, I've generally tended to shake hands with most opponents at the end of a match. I wouldn't go too far out of my way to do it, though, unless the particular opposing player had done something remarkable in the match. As a referee, I tend to stand close to the center circle at the conclusion of the match at least until my ARs have made it across and will shake the hands of any player or coach who approaches me. However, if somebody behaves like a bellend, as Pulisic was doing, I'd tell them to go get fucked before I shook their hand. It's not like Pulisic acted out during the game and offered his hand to the referee as a gesture of letting bygones be bygones. He was literally abusing the man while he was extending his hand. I'm with the referee on this one, 100%!

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Oh but the better amongst have spent all day telling us how lovely they are. They've been giving me hell all day for not having the same fawning opinion as they do. 

This is one the unfortunately frequent moments where your biases and self confessed "hatred" of something overcomes your ability to make a rational point.

No one has been "giving [you] hell " or anyone for that matter. 

Not expressing  hatred to the same degree as you is not giving you hell.  The worst I can see is some bemused pointing out of your hypocrisy. 

I would honestly appreciate you pointing out some  examples so I can understand. But generally it feels like you are trying to be a victim of something because others don't share your level of hatred.

Not sure anyone inherently likes US Soccer either.  Just think that when they do well, so do we. 

Regarding the USA. Sure, there are some tiny benefits to us if USA beats Uruguay. But there are also benefits to us if we one day are ranked ahead of USA (and any other CONCACAF teams). There are benefits to Panama doing well in this tournament also.

Sometimes I cheer for USA "for the good of CONCACAF" (only against teams from other confederations) but ultimately I also really enjoy seeing them lose. I'm sick of feeling like we have to build up the USA so we can collect their crumbs. We are told that it's best for CONCACAF if USA hosts the Gold Cup every time, and the Nations League finals every time, and if we allow Leagues Cup to happen to bolster MLS, and give too much power to MLS and Liga MX in CONCACAF Champions Cup. I'm sick of all of that trickle down BS.

I'm all for having CONCACAF's standing in the world get raised through good results, but that can happen with Canada, Panama, Costa Rica, it doesn't have to be USA and Mexico. Ultimately if USA and Mexico were to take a dip in level and some new teams won some Gold Cups and Nations League, that could do more for CONCACAF. It just might make it feel like a big game when someone is playing against these teams that right now are mostly considered "also rans".

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Its honestly strange to me that you think it is that important.

Sportsmanship important in pro sports?  Yes, absolutely, its important.  These guys are roll models.  But also, respect towards your opponent should be the baseline for any athlete.  It keeps you honest and respectful when you know you'll look the guy in the eyes immediately following the match.

The Venn diagram of athletes who don't shake hands and are dirty and cheap shot artists is a perfect circle.

10 minutes ago, costarg said:

The Venn diagram of athletes who don't shake hands and are dirty and cheap shot artists is a perfect circle.

Absolute and utter codswallop

There is are lots of ways to actually be sportmanlike and even show it beyond your weirdly dictated version of what it must entail.

Have a great day mate. 

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

This is one the unfortunately frequent moments where your biases and self confessed "hatred" of something overcomes your ability to make a rational point.

No one has been "giving [you] hell " or anyone for that matter. 

Not expressing  hatred to the same degree as you is not giving you hell.  The worst I can see is some bemused pointing out of your hypocrisy. 

I would honestly appreciate you pointing out some  examples so I can understand. But generally it feels like you are trying to be a victim of something because others don't share your level of hatred.

Not sure anyone inherently likes US Soccer either.  Just think that when they do well, so do we. 

Gown addresses Town, we're in awe.