Copa America Other Matches + Group A

13 minutes ago, frmr said:

Exactly, personal rivalries aside, I'm surprised so many people are happy to see them lose. It's bad for Canada Soccer in so many obvious ways.

An embarassing set back for the US isnt going to hurt their program. It will probably help it in the log run if they learn anything from it.  Endless home field advantages in CONCACAF, fishy draws that ensure Mexico/US finals in every tourney, mabye they'll see the way they prep their team doesnt propare them for tough opponents.  Everyone on this board knows Canada needed to step up our schedule and opponents if we wanted to make it to the next level.  Getting spanked in Holland, while embarassing has prepared our guys for COPA.  Always playing these CONCACAF tournies in the USA against hostile crowds makes our guys tougher and the endless shithousery "dark arts" we see from CONMEBOL teams are nothing new to us.  The USA will survive, we arent so tied to them that an american team shitting the bed hurts us. 

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

An embarassing set back for the US isnt going to hurt their program. It will probably help it in the log run if they learn anything from it.  Endless home field advantages in CONCACAF, fishy draws that ensure Mexico/US finals in every tourney, mabye they'll see the way they prep their team doesnt propare them for tough opponents.  Everyone on this board knows Canada needed to step up our schedule and opponents if we wanted to make it to the next level.  Getting spanked in Holland, while embarassing has prepared our guys for COPA.  Always playing these CONCACAF tournies in the USA against hostile crowds makes our guys tougher and the endless shithousery "dark arts" we see from CONMEBOL teams are nothing new to us.  The USA will survive, we arent so tied to them that an american team shitting the bed hurts us. 

True, if Berhalter actually loses his job over this, this will be a blessing in disguise for them. If they keep Berhalter through the World Cup, not so much.

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

At the most basic level it lowers their ranking.

They have lost almost 18 points and 4 spots since the last rankings.  

Which means when we play them, beating them in the autumn will be worth less and not getting a result will hurt more. 

39 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

They could do that, but that's not really the issue from what I understand - if they paid the men's coach by getting corporations to kick in some cash, they would still have to do the same with the women's coach. If, say, they manage to pry Ancellotti from Real Madrid for $20 million a year for the next two years, they would have to pay the women's team coach $20 million a year as well, regardless of where the funds are coming from. At least, that is what I understood Kasey Keller is saying on ESPN FC last night on YouTube

That’s not how it would work. Lets say two people are working the same job for the same pay and an outside source also pays one of the parties to work there. The person making less money has no legal standing against their employer. I’m also not sure there is any pay equity between the coaches. I think the player pay is being inflated to include the coaches. When the new CBA’s were written, Vlatko was making like $500k. Heck, the way the bonuses are structured Gregg and Hayes wouldn’t be getting paid equally anyway.

Yeah US Soccer will have no choice but to fire Berhalter. I mean they have to especially after that display in their own home tournament with them as a host nation and the players underperforming. But then at the same time the onus too is on the players and some of them or should I say even most of them have to take a long hard look in the mirror and take some accountability. They have to be better.

Weah specifically cost them that game against Panama 🇵🇦 in their 2nd game with that red card. A player of his caliber, it should not happen.

Then last night, you know you have to win against Uruguay 🇺🇾 and you have to play like your life depends on it. But did we see that from this American team? No we didn't. You do your own job and don't pay attention to what is happening in the other game. But again they fell victim to that and I don't know if it was a loss of energy or if it was a lack of concentration/focus. But they were not prepared.

19 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I love beating Millwall more and they are "lower ranked."

I’m just saying all this talk about the benefits of playing better teams or whatever flies out the window when you can see your biggest rival fumble important games, especially when your team got the job done. 

As for us needing a strong US to develop, I think this has a negligible effect on us. Their FIFA ranking won’t budge because they play all of their games at home. Their players are still the players who play us hard every time, and if we’re looking at it from a media/attention growth in soccer that trickles down to Canada via our media, I think US media interest in American soccer grows through the clubs players play for, not the national team. 

Unlike Mexico, this US team is close to their peak in terms of personnel, they just disappointed at a major tournament. The next time we play them, it will still be a big challenge for our guys.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Fill yer' boots.

American commentators yesterday after Uruguay 🇺🇾 scored kept pissing me off because they expected to be bailed out by VAR. I say to myself thus is CONMEBOL. Do you actually think they are going to bail you guts out? Typical arrogance 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I really don't understand Pulisic in that situation. A handshake is usually meant to be, at minimum, a sign of respect. Why go in for one when your comments and demeanor suggest the exact opposite?

Because that's literally what you do at the end of the game? How is this a question? 

9 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

American commentators yesterday after Uruguay 🇺🇾 scored kept pissing me off because they expected to be bailed out by VAR. I say to myself thus is CONMEBOL. Do you actually think they are going to bail you guts out? Typical arrogance 

The problem in this specific example isn't with the US.  Soccer needs to get rid of bad reffing and VAR mistakes.  I don't care if it's Argentina against Greenland - call the game properly and fairly, not to favour either team.  There shouldn't be any "but of course CONMEBOL is going to screw over a team from another confederation" nonsense.

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’m just saying all this talk about the benefits of playing better teams or whatever flies out the window when you can see your biggest rival fumble important games, especially when your team got the job done. 

As for us needing a strong US to develop, I think this has a negligible effect on us. Their FIFA ranking won’t budge because they play all of their games at home. Their players are still the players who play us hard every time, and if we’re looking at it from a media/attention growth in soccer that trickles down to Canada via our media, I think US media interest in American soccer grows through the clubs players play for, not the national team. 

Unlike Mexico, this US team is close to their peak in terms of personnel, they just disappointed at a major tournament. The next time we play them, it will still be a big challenge for our guys.

Doesn't work as an analogy for me because, there will always be good teams to play in the Premier League, wherever Spurs or Millwall are.  And any English team doing well in Europe benefits our chances of being there, not just Tottenham.

So then doing well does a miniscule amount of good compared to the tangible benefits we get in the very small incestuous pool that is the upper reaches of CONCACAF.

And their rating did budge. They have lost 4 place already and Switzerland will catch them if they get a win in the next round of the Euros.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Are you serious? If someone tells me, more or less, to fuck off, why should I then shake his hand?

Because you are paid to be an impassive judge who doesn't let emotions dictate your reactions. 

He also shouldn't have anything riding on the result emotionally.

You are saying he is not a good official, if you are saying he should react.

I agree with the first part of that sentence.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the US.   They host absolutely everything except the World Cup, although they're about to do that again.  They just sit back and collect the rewards.  It's not as if they haven't benefitted from blown referees, oops, blown calls, often at our expense.   We've been cheated and screwed over year after year, decade after decade.

For once, after all these years, perhaps the shoe's on the other foot for a bit, and I'll take it.

21 hours ago, jonovision said:

I just think handshakes are stupid and signify nothing under those circumstances. Nothing to be gained or lost from shaking or not. A tradition of no value.

It shows you can move on and be a normal human even after high emotion.

Gave me some nice moments in my competitive sports days as well.