Copa America Other Matches + Group A

23 minutes ago, rick10 said:

You complaining about the referee when the refs have favour canada on their last game. I highly doubt canada wouldve qualify is they didnt play against 10 the last two games.

it still amazes me how bombito never got a red card. People here would be jumping and bitching if this happened to canada..

seriously canada should be the last one complaining about the refs…

I would hope I would not.

If Alistair's was not a red, Bombito's certainly was not.  The other angle shows him freeing his arms and making minimal contact.  Less intent to contact than the head butt which was also pretty minimal contact in the end. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Surely helped by that tiny pitch. Was it just me or did it seem extra small? The long throw-ins were almost going to the back post.

There were a couple of street fight battles near the touch lines that looked like they would have fit in with the Oilers and Panthers but ya, it seemed a little compressed.

The pre-game and half time watering really lingered here at Arrowhead tonight, whereas the water seemed to evaporate pretty quickly in the brutal heat at SKC's field during our game there.  That might have contributed to the stickiness issues with passing and possession you could see at times from both teams last Tuesday.  The ball was bombing along the deck pretty well here tonight but you could also see a few players slipping.

Just now, kacbru said:

Well, at least some of the players...

Some of there players past and present kind of annoyed me , At the same time some of there guys like Tyler Adams are pretty decent .But yes there media pisses me off and those Outlaws 'Dont  tread on me ' Doushbags  Ive kind of hated since I ran into them in 2012 at Shoeless Joes prior to the Canada v USA game 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I'm not able to edit my previous post so I had to re quote this.

CONMEBOL had a tough time getting Ecuador to host so the USSF stepped up to finance this whole shindig, and a strategic partnership was formed with CONCACAF, we get the elevated level of play from South American participation while they get access to the lucrative North American marketing machine. I would be shocked if this doesn't become a permanent thing. CONMEBOL wants to compete with UEFA and they need the USA on their side to do that. I expect the CONCACAF Champions League to be the next thing to go with Copa Libertadores expanding to our region in its place. 

This is a good thing to. Clearly the officiating needs improve a little bit after what we're seeing in this USA Uruguay game, but that'll come with time. 

USSF didn't finance it. As per usual, USSF is getting hosting fees which includes a cut of the ticket revenue (along with Concacaf). 

Conmebol wasn't happy USSF made the most money from Copa Centenario (over US$100m) as the main organizer. So, Conmebol outsourced the organization of the tourney to various parties including SUM and Concacaf.

They allowed each stadium and their partners (Ticketmaster, Seatgeek etc..) to run ticketing which is why it's been a bit different in each venue and why dynamic pricing is prevalent. And it's also why stadiums with artificial turf have used different methods to lay down the grass pitch. 

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

The problem with this approach is missing the crowd noise. I remember decades ago, the French CBC commentators were on strike (during the NHL playoffs) so they just showed the game with the full crowd noise, rinkside mics, etc and no commentary - best thing ever, I don't understand why in this digital era, we can't have that as an option -  I would pay extra to get 'less'!

I watch Six Nations rugby and even World Cup this way, because the Spanish commentators can't shut up. They bore the hell out of you, yap constantly, and then, when you have live play reviews and the ref is speaking, they yap over that. Typical guys trying to prove they know about a sport who are overcompensating for a less knowledgeable audience. We also get ice hockey commentators like that in Spain. So I turn off the sound entirely for rugby, just crowd noise, and the ref. Now in rugby the ref is always talking ("use it!"), there are all kinds of details that make it quite interesting, they are explaining plays and talking to their video guys, a lot of fouls and plays are described out loud by the ref. 

So I fully agree all broadcasts should have the option of  crowd noise+ref and no commentary.

This was from the Guardian pre-game preamble:

"Tonight in Kansas City, the USA may well be playing for their coach’s future and for their own reputation. This is, we’re so often told, a golden generation of US players. They all ply their trade with glittering teams in Europe – Milan, Juventus, Monaco … um … PSV? Fulham? Cardiff City? 

Wait – this is the USA’s golden generation?"

Ouch!

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Someone running the Copa YouTube channel said that but it is not clear on what authority. They also said Canada should have had a PK in that match, for what it is worth- which is not worth much, if anything 

I also had the impression that those comments on reffing decisions were not official reviews by the Copa tournament authorities, even though they had the tone of voice and gravitas to make you think they were official.