Copa America Other Matches + Group A

38 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

The problem with this approach is missing the crowd noise. I remember decades ago, the French CBC commentators were on strike (during the NHL playoffs) so they just showed the game with the full crowd noise, rinkside mics, etc and no commentary - best thing ever, I don't understand why in this digital era, we can't have that as an option -  I would pay extra to get 'less'!

I remember this happening with the CFL as well, maybe 15-20 years ago.  The radio station was very much "this game will be unwatchable! How will I know what's going on???".  The ratings came in higher than normal.  The station hosts refused to believe it.  "That simply can't be true! They're lying!"

1 minute ago, CCrTFC said:

When the initial pass from the free kick the Uruguay player is on, the US goalkeeper is the one that plays the ball to the Uruguay goalscorer. Correct call. 

But the ball is headed by an Uruguay after the free kick and that’s where the offside decision is made - not at the time of the free kick. You’re incorrect 

well they just showed a replay and apparently Richards’ elongated leg kept the scorer onside  

1 minute ago, CCrTFC said:

When the initial pass from the free kick the Uruguay player is on, the US goalkeeper is the one that plays the ball to the Uruguay goalscorer. Correct call. 

That's not what the rule says:

Law 11.2: 

2. Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by: 

gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
been deliberately saved by any opponent

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just turned it on during the goal check.  With the US commentators, it seems like the goal shouldn’t have stood.  Any validity?   They also said that CONMEBOL said that Bombito should have been sent off and that they admitted VAR got it wrong.  Did that actually happen?   

Someone running the Copa YouTube channel said that but it is not clear on what authority. They also said Canada should have had a PK in that match, for what it is worth- which is not worth much, if anything