Copa America Other Matches + Group A

41 minutes ago, costarg said:

I wonder if CONCACAF underachieving (or overachieving) affects the chances we get invited or host again?  This tournament is too fun, would love this to become regular.  But I feel the balance is delicate.  They don't want the guests cooking in their kitchen.

Everything revolves around the gate.  If you are making big $ with it, keep it going.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

26 player roster where the manager only seems to trust 16 guys. Seems like it would be easy to make room

I haven't followed Flores at any point so don't know how strong he his, but guys it seems we could lose from the roster with no real implications would be Ahmed, Hiebert, Luc de Fougerolles.

Not asking for it, of course.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I haven't followed Flores at any point so don't know how strong he his, but guys it seems we could lose from the roster with no real implications would be Ahmed, Hiebert, Luc de Fougerolles.

Not asking for it, of course.

2 or  you could say 3 of those cover leftback which of which we have - 1 .  As well as other positions.

Even playing with 2, 5 strikers, who don't really cover elsewhere, is a lot. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

2 or  you could say 3 of those cover leftback which of which we have - 1 .  As well as other positions.

Even playing with 2, 5 strikers, who don't really cover elsewhere, is a lot. 

It's pretty much guaranteed that if Davies were ever to get hurt or suspended, Laryea would play the bulk of the minutes at leftback and Miller the rest.  

All of the players listed as forwards here have played in the Copa except Bair, so I suppose he would be the one that is surplus to requirements:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team#Players

But again, not much useful conversation here. Roster cuts are not required, and Flores is Mexican now.

Edited by jonovision

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

It's pretty much guaranteed that if Davies were ever to get hurt or suspended, Laryea would play the bulk of the minutes at leftback and Miller the rest. But 

All of the players listed as forwards here have played in the Copa except Bair, so I suppose he would be the one that is surplus to requirements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team#Players

But again, not much useful conversation here. Roster cuts are not required, and Flores is Mexican now.

It was always a fun hypothetical, so don't give up now. 😄

Laryea has played a lot with Davies on the pitch. If your first cover is playing elsewhere, you need more cover.  Miller has seemingly been the first cover/addition at centre back.  Again, you are probably need more, just in case. 

11 hours ago, 74 Whitecap said:

They were the whipping boy and laughing-stock of CONMEBOL for many a qualifying cycle, but not this time. Some parallels between Venezuela and Canada in that respect, except their past performance is perhaps even more filled with bad results than ours, if you can believe that.

They are a baseball country first, but I believe soccer has grown a lot in the last 17 years, after they hosted the 2007 COPA. Good for them.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I wonder if CONCACAF underachieving (or overachieving) affects the chances we get invited or host again?  This tournament is too fun, would love this to become regular.  But I feel the balance is delicate.  They don't want the guests cooking in their kitchen.

6 minutes ago, Macksam said:

They are a baseball country first, but I believe soccer has grown a lot in the last 17 years, after they hosted the 2007 COPA. Good for them.

That’s exactly right. We played them in 2007 friendly before Copa and the stadium was filled as they were hyped for the tournament. They had a largely domestic squad then and their star, Juan Arango, played for Mallorca. We drew 2-2 after de Rosario scored an early one and then Gerba tied it late. Wasn’t able to even watch it - just highlights after. 

We are very comparable in a lot of ways. I’ve always found us similar and it’s wild that we’re now playing in a Copa America knockout match. 

2 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Why is the US favoured? Am I missing something? Uruguay resting?

I think certain players could be resting but even so Uruguay 🇺🇾 are the better team to USA 🇺🇸 mainly because of Uruguay's depth

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I would feel dirty answering that question. We could probably do without a 5th striker though. 

I gotcha, but that's probably cheating if you know what I mean. Marsch must have had his reasons to call these 5 strikers, even if to us it seems excessive.

If we want to pretend Flores was Canadian and argue he would have been deserving of a spot in this squad, we'd have to do a like-for-like swap with an attacking wide player or midfielder.

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Everything revolves around the gate.  If you are making big $ with it, keep it going.

The US hosting again feels inevitable. We can complain about the ticket prices, but even half full stadiums are probably making everyone a fortune.

A future joint tournament/invites to a tournament hosted in South America probably depends more on TV ratings, ad revenue, etc. I think the ratings have been good, but no idea what all the other financials are. 

Posted (edited)

I've seen a few tweets saying we could be the only CONCACAF country in the knockout round. I know people are trying to make the point that out of the USA, Mexico, and us, we might be the only one who advances out of the group stage, but they're not realizing that a CONCACAF country (Panama) would make it if the USA doesn't.

I think Panama has a great chance. A win over Bolivia and a USA draw (or loss) against Uruguay doesn't seem unrealistic at all. Even if they both won and were still tied on points, Panama might be able to overturn the goal difference.

Edited by Neil R.

33 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Uruguay going with their main lineup. US is cooked.

Guess that "favoured" status on....what, betting sites, it could only be that...did the US no favors.

But US also has quality...they could do it...it's definitely worth watching to see how it all plays out.  

Uruguay hasn’t officially qualified yet, even though it will take quite the pummelling by the US to get their goal differential below both the US and Panama (should the latter win), so I can see why they aren’t going with a B squad