Copa America Other Matches + Group A

So very high likelihood that we’ll play Venezuela in Arlington. They’re my preferred matchup from the group. Rondon is dangerous and in red hot form, and they have a very solid midfield, but our 11 is superior. Mexico would be fun but it would be a hornets nest. Ecuador is the best of the three talent-wise, IMO. I also don’t think Venezuela will bring the same atmosphere as say Chile or Argentina, especially in a 70k stadium. This is the best case scenario for us. 

Edited by FC_Hali

Yellow card watch for our possible quarter-final opponents:

Venezuela has 4 players on yellows. Only 1 of the 4 (Machis Marcano) is starting vs. Jamaica.

Ecuador has 2 players on yellows (Morante and Andrade). They're both starting vs. Mexico.

Mexico has 2 players on yellows. 1 of the 2 (Gimenez) is starting vs. Ecuador.

Edited by Neil R.

Venezuela just needs a draw or better vs Jamaica to top Group B and be Canada's opponent in the quarter-finals.

Jamaica has played 8 games at Copa to date, and has lost them all. They are already eliminated, just playing for pride, and would probably like to break their losing streak and finally get on the board, points-wise at Copa.

So a draw suits both sides, and I find that when a draw suits both sides, you often end up getting a draw.

As for Ecuador - Mexico, Ecuador only needs a draw to go through in 2nd place (thanks to better goal difference than Mexico), but that means a match-up vs. Argentina in the quarter-finals, so I think both teams will be playing to win. On form, you would expect Ecuador to be the better side, but not by a lot, so it should be a good game.

37 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

Yellow card watch for our possible quarter-final opponents:

Venezuela has 4 players on yellows. Only 1 of the 4 (Marcano) is starting vs. Jamaica.

Ecuador has 2 players on yellows (Morante and Andrade). They're both starting vs. Mexico.

Mexico has 2 players on yellows. 1 of the 2 (Gimenez) is starting vs. Ecuador.

Machis just got a yellow vs Jamaica and will miss the next game for Venezuela

Honestly haven't seen anything from Mexico or Ecuador in this game that would scare me (apart from their unconstrained willingness to foul repeatedly).  I know it sounds like hubris but I think we have a solid shot against whoever comes out of that Group.

Edited by GasPed