Copa America Other Matches + Group A

12 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

A club or National team with loads of $$ is going to pluck Christiansen from Panama. Bet he's gone after Copa. He's too good to be coaching them. They really turned it on starting in the 2nd half of WCQ and haven't stopped. Don't think they've lost a game they were expected to win since the WC.

Maybe the US will hire him because if they get grouped Gregg has to be fired.

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Maybe the US will hire him because if they get grouped Gregg has to be fired.

Don’t underestimate USSF. In the press conference they rehired Berhalter, the press asked if Copa performance would affect his job. They responded with he is the coach for the ‘26 World Cup. I almost wonder if they would Be afraid to fire him because it would be admitting their own failures in rehiring him a year ago.

If we get grouped and Berhalter isn’t fired I’m switching allegiances.

31 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

A club or National team with loads of $$ is going to pluck Christiansen from Panama. Bet he's gone after Copa. He's too good to be coaching them. They really turned it on starting in the 2nd half of WCQ and haven't stopped. Don't think they've lost a game they were expected to win since the WC.

I also think that he gets a shot with a bigger program following this tourney.

27 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Fair play to him for knowing how to play the Americans.  Deserves praise for that.

That said, he lost to Jamaica and us and an an increasingly poor Mexican side twice since qualifying.

For the most part they beat and lost to the teams they should elsewhere. Maybe drawing Guatemala twice and owning Costa Rica argue slightly against that generality on either side.

That says good, not amazing to me.  Not someone that blows other candidates out of the water.  Just my thoughts.

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Fair play to him for knowing how to play the Americans.  Deserves praise for that.

That said, he lost to Jamaica and us and an an increasingly poor Mexican side twice since qualifying.

For the most part they beat and lost to the teams they should elsewhere. Maybe drawing Guatemala twice and owning Costa Rica argue slightly against that generality on either side.

That says good, not amazing to me.  Not someone that blows other candidates out of the water.  Just my thoughts.

Didn't they also sort of choke in WCQ too? They seemed locked into the top 4 but eventually lost out to Costa Rica.

Edited by narduch

Just now, narduch said:

Didn't they also sort of choke in WCQ too? They seemed locked into the top 4 but eventually lost out to Costa Rica.

I think when it mattered, I remember the Americans pounding them.  They beat us but we were on the beach. And they lost to Costa Rica, not sure if that's what made the difference.

10 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think when it mattered, I remember the Americans pounding them.  They beat us but we were on the beach. And they lost to Costa Rica, not sure if that's what made the difference.

They drew CR at home and lost to them away and that was the big difference. They had some big results (drew Mexico at home, beat US at home), but it was really those two CR matches and drawing Honduras at home that did them in.

Panama had a similar qualification path that we had. First round group (Dominican Rep, Barbados, Dominica, Anguilla), and then a Second round matchup with Curacao. They barely got through that, winning 2-1 at home and scraping a 0-0 draw away. We had an easier time with Haiti but I definitely remember trepidation in the leadup to that away game in Port-au-Prince. How much things have changed since then.

Edited by Mihairokov

1 minute ago, narduch said:

With Uruguay smashing Bolivia 5-0, it means they can still finish ahead of the USA, even if they lose to them by 3.

So I expect Uruguay to play their B team next game.

I'm expecting Panama to beat Bolivia 

Yeah, I think that is part of why Uruguay put so much effort into smashing Bolivia (also they just seemed to be having fun) - so that they could rest everyone in the next game

14 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

US fans just can't process a tournament that isn't geared to placing them in a final against Mexico in the southwest. Same reason both them and Mexico are regressing at the World Cup. Sh*t the bed when they end up in a merit-based competition

Amen brother I have been saying this for years . In past World Cups  whenever Both the US , and Mexico face stiff competion  especially in knock out form they crumble

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

So does this mean that the first tiebreaker is not head to head (as it is in the Euros and World Cup) but overall goal differential?

The ranking of teams in the group stage is determined as follows (Regulations Article 24):[14]

1. Points obtained in all group matches (three points for a win, one for a draw, none for a defeat);
  2. Goal difference in all group matches;
  3. Number of goals scored in all group matches;
  4. Points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
  5. Goal difference in the matches played between the teams in question;
  6. Number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
  7. Fewest red cards;
  8. Fewest yellow cards;
  9. Drawing of lots.

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You have to consider the level of players he has to work with when assessing results. We have much better imdividual quality players. Panama are ranked higher than us in FIFA, got to the semis in NL in 2023 and are back there, while we didn't make it by losing out to Jamaica. A win vs the US at home in Copa is a massive result, red card or not. They now have a better chance of making the QF than Canada, unless we get a result vs Chile. A win vs Bolivia and a Canada loss vs Chile will further separate the 2 team in FIFA rankings....obviously not hoping for this.

USA 🇺🇸 could get eliminated from their own Copa America tournament and they are the host nation. Just take that in for a second especially after their loss to Panama 🇵🇦 last night. 

So basically for USA 🇺🇸 they have to beat Uruguay 🇺🇾 in their last group game to have any hope of the quarter finals.

But then Panama 🇵🇦 they face Bolivia in their last group game. Bolivia 🇧🇴 have been the whipping boys of this group.

14 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I assume Uruguay is going to go with a heavily rotated squad since they have all but locked up the Group win. I don't think it's that far fetched the US can beat them under these circumstances (at home, must-win, Uruguay with nothing to play for..). 

Group could have 3 teams on 6 points 

So there are still alot of games to be played, but we could end up second in our group and then face off against Venezuela?  And if we win that game, we get Argentina again because there is no cross over between A/B pools and C/D pools until the semis.

Looks like they were aiming for a Brazil-Argentina final and a US-Mex 3rd place game, but now the poor performance of the US and Mex may have screwed that up.