Copa America Other Matches + Group A

1 minute ago, 74 Whitecap said:

To elaborate, in the 1st half, Ecuador's 2nd goal comes on a penalty for handball, then, with Jamaica trailing 2-1 in the 2nd half, a very similar (but a little more blatant) handball by Ecuador goes to VAR but the referee inexplicably decides not to give a penalty.

If they want Copa to rival Euro for popularity, they need to improve the standard of refereeing. With inexplicable VAR decisions piling up in favour of CONMEBOL teams at the expense of CONCACAF, it starts to look a little dodgy.

I think they were both somewhat marginal.  I do think it was harder to see the contact on the 2nd reviewed incident.  And for me there is one big difference - the first play involved the Jamaican player blocking a header that was bound for goal and may have actually snuck into the corner.  The second review involved the ball going away from the net with no immediate threat of goal.   That may not be seen as relevant by everyone but in cases where there is some discretion I think it factors in.  

Just now, king1010 said:

Thats wild. The fact that they told him to review means they thought he made a clear and obvious mistake. 

They were right, he did, lol. I mean, it's Jamaica, I don't really care if they get screwed over, but it is kind of embarrassing for Copa. I guess the only plus is if people get the idea the fix is in for CONMEBOL maybe we will get some calls we wouldn't normally get to counteract that impression in the game against Chile :)

jamaica cant do much in these competitions as they have fight themselves (or their federation) on top of the opponent...but again this is why u gotta have eustaquio wearing the armband and being in the refs face all game...garay the chilean ref felt no pressure on him then var called him and he easily quietly simply said no penalty and on as you were...wanna believe it or not these things can make a difference...it shouldnt but sometimes it does

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Congratulations to Jamaica for getting their first Copa goal, that must have come as a relief after going scoreless in their first 7 matches. A shame for them that they are still looking for their first Copa win and point. Perhaps that will come against Venezuela just to annoy Alejandro Moreno

Yeah. I was hoping Jamaica would beat Ecuador. Came close to a draw, but no penalty was awarded after a handball VAR check. Can't stand Ecuador due to the 2002 Gold Cup game. 

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Its already sold out. Only resale avail. 

They already made their money. 

TV advertising revenue from viewer numbers means they still have bigger money to make. Mexico and Argentina are the two main draws, Argentina around  the world and  Mexico in the states. That's the reason for the crazy knockout bracket, designed to make sure one of them gets to the finals, and the reason why corrupt reffing has almost always  resulting in either the US or Mexico making it to the Gold Cup finals (2000 final being the exception confounding CONCACAF).   

Edited by beachesl

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Amazing finish. Looks like if we can pull it off we'd be playing Venezuela in Houston 

I suppose Ecuador or Mexico could still top the group. Venezuela might rotate vs Jamaica, but the prize for 2nd in group B is most likely a date with Argentina in the Q-Finals, so I would think they would do everything they can to avoid that match-up for as long as possible and it will only take a draw vs Jamaica to do that

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Canada v Venezuela in front of 1,500 in a 80,000 seat stadium.  They will be paying us to show up.

I actually think Venezuela is one of the bigger draws of the tournament. The semis is set for NJ. That would be full of Venezuelans. But of course they would lose to us 😉

On the flip side. With the potential of Mexico Argentina looming at 72k Houston I wouldn't be going in to tackles too hard if I'm Ecuador if you pick up what I'm putting down

Edited by SpursFlu

12 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Feel sorry for the players of Bolivia who may be worried about their families due to the military coup in their country.

They had a coup 5 years ago. They had a president rip up their constitution to illegally remain president. I think its old hat for them at this point