Copa America Other Matches + Group A

7 hours ago, maplebanana said:

We just had an executive review at work. The type of uber serious, hardcore engineering stuff where everyone has a PhD. Before it there was a bit of chit chat about the euros and copa. Someone brought up the brazil-CRC draw and said 'why do you think that happened'? I, clad in my canada soccer jersey, blurted out 'Costa Rica always does well against non-CONCACAF teams in major tournaments'.

The absolute silence was deafening. 

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one, lol

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They have had some great shots at Martinez and their intensity has been top notch.  Fun half to watch so far!

Around the 70 minute mark they shifted tactics to push forward, knowing that a draw doesn't do them much good.

chile makes the mistake that you dont make with two subs on a defensive corner and argentina scores in the 88th minute...we are now two points ahead of chile and peru...must win for chile against us...will be interesting to see how marsch approaches the game...you cant have giveaway machines in the middle

30 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Don't underestimate the organizers' desire to get Mexico in that QF (potentially against us) in Dallas. Literally hundreds and hundreds of thousands in ticket revenue at stake

Its already sold out. Only resale avail. 

They already made their money. 

Edited by king1010

To elaborate, in the 1st half, Ecuador's 2nd goal comes on a penalty for handball, then, with Jamaica trailing 2-1 in the 2nd half, a very similar (but a little more blatant) handball by Ecuador goes to VAR but the referee inexplicably decides not to give a penalty.

If they want Copa to rival Euro for popularity, they need to improve the standard of refereeing. With inexplicable VAR decisions piling up in favour of CONMEBOL teams at the expense of CONCACAF, it starts to look a little dodgy.

Just now, 74 Whitecap said:

To elaborate, in the 1st half, Ecuador's 2nd goal comes on a penalty for handball, then, with Jamaica trailing 2-1 in the 2nd half, a very similar (but a little more blatant) handball by Ecuador goes to VAR but the referee inexplicably decides not to give a penalty.

If they want Copa to rival Euro for popularity, they need to improve the standard of refereeing. With inexplicable VAR decisions piling up in favour of CONMEBOL teams at the expense of CONCACAF, it starts to look a little dodgy.

When it went to VAR did the video review officials ask the ref to look at the play on the monitor and then the ref said not enough? Or did they not call the ref to review on the monitor?