Copa America Other Matches + Group A

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There are no Canadian refs at all don't think in this Copa. All South American teams are represented, a few Concacaf, a few nations not at Copa, but no Canadians. Not a good look for Canadian reffing, though I appreciate that having Penso as the sole American ref may also have to do with others being in MLS.

There is 1 Italian ref for some reason.

Wouldn't mind getting him

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

There is 1 Italian ref for some reason.

Wouldn't mind getting him

We'll see in a few days if the Conmebol refs are working for their federation or the integrity of the game. I am not too confident after some little details vs. Argentina. Even if, being from a Bolivarian Republic and reffing an Argentina run by a neo-fascist like Milei, give him credit: all politics were put to the side and he still managed to lend them a bit of a hand.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

I wonder what CONNEBOL's thoughts would be on these joint tournaments if a CONCACAF team managed to win this thing. 

Their thought will be swayed by two things. 1. How much money they make

2. How many eyeballs they get. 

They want to compete with the Euro and its exposure.  

The only reason they are doing this is for the money. 

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

So much football and a bit of real life today but would like to catch:

Mexico Jamaica

tonight 7 MDT

Possibly club interest in both sides but also to see where they are at.

One of the things I am looking forward to about this Copa is a chance to judge how CONCACAF and CONMEBOL currently compare, but the tournament is making us wait to really start judging (I already knew Argentina was better than Canada :) ).

In the 2016 Copa held in the US, the US lost 4-0 to Argentina in the semis, and lost 2-0 to Colombia in the group stage, but also had wins vs Costa Rica, Paraguay and Ecuador

Costa Rica, coming off their fantastic 2014 world Cup, got eliminated at the group stage (thanks to the loss to the US), despite drawing with Paraguay and beating Colombia (who had already qualified for the knockout stage before their final group stage game vs Costa Rica)

Haiti got bombed by Brazil and Ecuador, their only close match, a 1-0 loss to Peru

Jamaica lost 3 straight to Venezuela, Mexico and Uruguay failing to score a single goal.

Mexico beat Uruguay and Jamaica to qualify for the knockout round and then drew Venezuela in the final group stage game.  They then proceeded to lose 7-0(!) in the knockout stage to Chile. I have no memory of that game, so I must have missed it, too bad, I am sure I would have enjoyed it. With two small children back then, I didn't have two free hours to watch anyone other than Canada too often! Maybe I will see if the highlights are on youtube.

Finally, Panama managed a win vs Bolivia, before losing their next 2 and conceding 9 goals in the process, 5-0 vs Argentina and 4-2 vs Chile.

Chile and Argentina were the class of the tournament, untouched vs the other teams until playing to a shootout in the final.

Peru also gave a good account of themselves, defeating Brazil 1-0 in the final group stage to eliminate Brazil and go on the knockouts where they lost in a shootout vs Colombia (who lost 2-0 to Chile in the other semi).

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I wonder what CONNEBOL's thoughts would be on these joint tournaments if a CONCACAF team managed to win this thing. 

I think the sweet spot is all of the teams being competitive, but none of them winning it all :) I am not too worried about a CONCACAF team winning it, to be honest. Maybe the US could squeeze through somehow with a bit of luck.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

I was at this game but honestly don't remember anything about it

I was there as well, that was our only loss at BMO until the Jamaica collapse, this match changed how we distributed tickets in the Supporter's Section, I distinctly remember many Peru fans in 114 and them taunting us after the first goal, nothing really stupid happened but there were some harsh words exchanged! Peru were the better team on the day and the score reflected that, they played a style that frustrated us and they were clinical around goal! We topped off the disappointing result by hitting the Food Building for some Shawarma, the Ex was in full swing!

Was at a Mexican restaurant with Peru/Chile on so only paid half attention but it looked like a chippy match. Worried it's going to be a lot of going to ground easy from no contact. Our matches against them might be difficult to watch .

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Lame that TSN isn't showing Ecuador v Venezuela on any of its channels.

You need to have TSN+ which is a separate subscription 

Yes, and this is the supposed "non-paywalled" option against OneSoccer. 🤪

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Is Jamaica's group easier or more difficult than ours? 

It depends which Mexico shows up.

USA probably got the easiest draw. They should be able to take care of Bolivia and Panama and advance. I bet they lose to Uruguay though

Edited by narduch