Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

Just now, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Oso said you can't focus on stopping Messi directly, you have to try to cut off his service. If you focus too much on Messi then he'll flip the ball to the open player you forgot to mark and you're screwed.

I feel this is the sort of game Oso could be useful in. Argentina is not super fast, he speaks Spanish, and he's a smart baller. As a sub, mind you.

I guess you didn’t watch his ass performance against France as a sub?

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know man.  To me how you answer that question is all about your personality.  Oso is just a calm measured guy who isn’t going to bullshit.  Lots of guys have pretended that they will be able to stop Messi or that they have a clear plan for it.  And Messi generally finds a way to  make them look like inferior.  It isn’t about their attitude - it is about the fact that he is arguably the best to ever lace up a set of boots.  It isn’t defeatist to acknowledge that you really can “solve” that, and it doesn’t mean Oso won’t try hard as hell.  It just isn’t full of false bravado and bluster because what’s the point?   

I get what you're saying and no plan is perfect, but there's a way to frame that comment. Calling Messi "unstoppable" isn't really accurate either, because he also isn't perfect. No player is.