Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

Love the lineup, I just think Larin is a sub now. 

For who we are playing, we may need our outlet to be able to bang and chase a little...something I haven't seen Larin due.

Just now, Shway said:

Love the lineup, I just think Larin is a sub now. 

For who we are playing, we may need our outlet to be able to bang and chase a little...something I haven't seen Larin due.

Yeah, but Larin can hold up the ball better than the alternatives on the bench, and he links up well with JD. Not yet convinced we've a better starter up top. 

9 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

71,000 in Atlanta seems far less intimidating that 50,000 in Buenos Ares, no? 

Yeah,  you see a lot of kids and families in the crowd.   Probably never see that in Buenos Aires.

Come on man!  when is this game going to start?   :) 

I just set the recording.   Just i case this games becomes memorable and will want to rewatched.     

Edited by Free kick

11 minutes ago, Ivan said:
12 minutes ago, VinceA said:

GlassCity is complaining about an Osorio quote, what did he say?

I think he's referring to Messi being unstoppable. 

Didn't like that comment, either, tbh. Need to have a winning mentality -- not, "Oh, forget about Messi. Can't stop him." 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Didn't like that comment, either, tbh. Need to have a winning mentality -- not, "Oh, forget about Messi. Can't stop him." 

I don’t know man.  To me how you answer that question is all about your personality.  Oso is just a calm measured guy who isn’t going to bullshit.  Lots of guys have pretended that they will be able to stop Messi or that they have a clear plan for it.  And Messi generally finds a way to  make them look like inferior.  It isn’t about their attitude - it is about the fact that he is arguably the best to ever lace up a set of boots.  It isn’t defeatist to acknowledge that you really can “solve” that, and it doesn’t mean Oso won’t try hard as hell.  It just isn’t full of false bravado and bluster because what’s the point?   

Oso said you can't focus on stopping Messi directly, you have to try to cut off his service. If you focus too much on Messi then he'll flip the ball to the open player you forgot to mark and you're screwed.

I feel this is the sort of game Oso could be useful in. Argentina is not super fast, he speaks Spanish, and he's a smart baller. As a sub, mind you.

3 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I'm nervous for the kick off, but at least it would mean the end of this silly opening ceremony nonsense.

Was waiting for the obligatory opening ceremony comment and there it is !